When was your first experience with Busse Knives.

This past fall, I was at the Medina County Gun Show just south of Cleveland. At a table in the corner was a guy playing a video of knives being stabbed through steel plates, chopping 2x4s, and basically being beat to crap and coming back for more. At first, I thought it was Cold Steel's performance video. As I got closer, I saw a couple guys examining the toughest knives I've ever seen. They were definately not Cold Steel. It was my first experience at seeing the Busse Combat and Basic Grades. The guy behind the table had an striking resemblance to the guy on the catalog. I picked up two catalogs and a Busse Combat business card. Being a gun collector not a knife collector, I've never heard of Busse Combat. That was until I found this forum. After reading the posts, I bought my first Busse Combat -- Basic #5.

So how did you guys hear about Busse Knives?

Hello. I have been a member of Blade Forums for almost a year now. I first heard about the Busse Combat knives here on the BF's, and especially right after the blade show when the Basic #9 sliced through all that rope like butter. From that time to now, I had alwys wanted a #5, and this week I just received my first #5 from a private seller. I really love this knife, and what a warranty. The warranty is just like Leupold's scope warranty--what a bargain for the buyer. And just when I thought I had knife sharpening down to a science, here comes Busse with this unique grind. I have read other posts and instructions that came with the Busse about sharpening, but I feel there is still something lacking. I have an Apex, it helped me to perform an ultimate edge on one of knives, a Spyderco 204 sharpmaker, and a custom made strop that I bought from Handamerican--it has a smooth leather and a leather that is used for abrasives such as chromium oxide. One could use the smooth leather and charge it with green jewelers rouge to have an abrasive sharpening action. I do not use stones because I can not hold the angle properly, but I did have good luck with the Norton water stones, but gave up on these because I was always changing the angle on my knives. I would like to hear opinions from other members and especially, Jerry, about sharpening the Busse grind. Thanks in advance for any and all replys. David

Actually, the first I saw of a Busse was in an article done by Dr. Ron Hood. A buddy who dabbles in making knives showed me the article while I was talking about my quest for the ultimate "if you could only have 1" BIG blade. Well, out the window went the BMF and Trail Master. After a little reading and inquiring (oh yeah, and trying to figure out how to justify $347.00 to my girlfriend!!!...hell, in the end all I could come up with was...we're not married YET
biggrin.gif
), I placed an order for a Battle Mistress.

I first saw a Busse in a knife mag ad, with the skeleton lying in a coffin with a Steel Heart. Then I talked some with Aubrey over at rec.knives and he was telling me how good Busse knives were, but at the time, I thought they were real ugly and looked alot like my kitchen knives. This was a long time ago.

Then I got to watch a Cold Steel proof video and man, was I impressed. Then later, Busse came out with the Battle Mistress and the ad which showed it beat its "competitor" significantly. I then knew that I had to have the best.

I bought my first Busse approx. eight years ago. I think it was called th "mean street"
I have been carrying it on my vest under uniform shirt ever since. Outstanding knife.I wish Busse would go back to making some 1/8 inch thick blades,they kept,(keep) one heck of an edge.Stong doen't begin to describe them.Even though everyone knows you are not supposed to pry with a knife I have many times.You know what happened to it? NOTHING!!!!!!!!

I first saw a Busse knife about four years ago, shortly after I had purchaced a Chris Reeve Knife! I think It was a Magazine Evaluation of the Steel Heart and I remember wishing that I had known about them earlier...something about that extra wide Loveless shaped blade just spoke to me.

Later, I read an article in American Survival Guide on the INFI Battle Mistress and have been coveting one until about a week ago when the opportunity finally presented itself (and the budget was right)! I am now a proud sugar daddy to a really sharp Mistress.

Screwtape

I first saw them at the Blade show last year. Spent a few minutes talking to a very nice, nice looking young lady and a few more to a some guy standing behind the same table
biggrin.gif
. Really liked the knives but wished the handles could have been swiched around on some of the knives.
Got my first one here the BFC basic 9. It really opened some eyes and jaws at deer camp last season when it cut through the pelvis with one swing. The AXE that was being used took three or four whacks to do the same thing.

Can't wait for an excuse to get another one, just can't makeup my mind which one.
confused.gif

------------------
Dwight

It's a fine line between "a hobby" and "mental illness".

Back