When you push over the lock bar is there side to side play?

Ive noticed that on mine, which I have broken in very well since Dec,99 and while using a light base type of lube(Sentry Solution etc) does have a VERY slight side to side play.

But it is much smoother now too. While holding the knife straight out and slide the lock to the side the blade will fall fast on my thumbnail, when I first got my Sebenza it SLOWLY came down.

Another thing that I have seen is the blade has become polished at the sides where it pivots(I have a plain version blade), which Im sure helps in the action of the blade.

The small amount of play in mine is of no concern to me anyway...Still my favorite!, well I kinda like my Shadow III too!
biggrin.gif

------------------
~Keith~
"War to the knife and knife to the hilt"

Keith,
I like that Shadow III too! I've been thinking about it since that show. The perfect survival knife is one that you can carry just about anywhere.

Johnny,
There is next to no play in three of mine.

------------------
Paul Davidson

Them:"What's that clipped to your pocket, a beeper?"
Me:"Uuh....yeah, something like that."

JoHn,
On my old (classic) with ATS34, made in 1995, not play.
On my Umfaan and small Sebe made in 1999, no play.

Kdarmy,
Letting the blade fall on my thumbnail is how I check all of my CR folders. If they don't flop right down, I clean and relube them. Good test!

ThomM

I just put mine back together again after cleaning, but this time I used Lubriplate, which is more of a film type of lube.

The Sebenza has NO side play at all now.

------------------
~Keith~
"War to the knife and knife to the hilt"

It never occurred to me to check for blade play without applying the lock. My new large Sebenza exhibits a slight play when the lock is disengaged. I'm not sure if this is an acceptable tolerance within CR's specification. Can anyone tell me if this is normal for a brand new knife?

JoHnYKwSt,
I just tried the same test with my Terzuola ATCF, and it didn't have any side to side play.
Doesn't matter...Sebenza still is one my favorite althought my Terzuola remains my everyday carry.

Chances are your Terzuola has an adjustable pivot screw, so even if it did have play it could be fixed. The sebenza is one of the few knives that does not have an adjustable pivot screw. In fact I do not know of another knife that is made this way. Would I rather have an adjustable pivot screw? Nope.

-Johnny

What's the disadvantage of an adjustable pivot screw or put another way, what's the advantage of a non-adjustable one?

Bill

JoHnYKwSt,

Wow...that's news to me! I was under the impression that Sebenza has an adjustable pivot.

What's the disadvantage of an adjustable pivot screw or put another way, what's the advantage of a non-adjustable one?

The advantages of an adjustable pivot screw is, it's much much easier to do, it compensates for a poorly fitted knife, the user can adjust how tight or loose he wants his knife, and it may compensate for wear.
The disadvantage is it requires lock tite or something to keep the screw from loosening and it's very picky (one half turn to the right and the action may become too tight, one half turn to the left and there may be blade play).
With a nonadjustable pivot screw all you have to do it tighten it down and it should be fine.

Bob,
Try tightening the pivot screw of your sebenza, check the blade action, then loosen it or remove it even, then check the blade action. It should not change.

-Johnny

you notice the revered CRK did not reply to this one. i bet that CRK is chicken about talking about his bosses products faults.
if he reads this and wants to answer my bet he can e-mail me at:
blader@keg-party.com

HAHAHAHA...you're a joke man, keep it up, and you'll be booted before you even know it.

-AR

------------------
- AKTI Member ID# A000322

Back