Where’d all the bit kits go.

So I got myself a cool sheath for my wave + and the day before it arrived I lost my bit card with all the bits i actually use. And then I see the bit kits are out of stock everywhere. Anyone know what’s up with them being out of stock for months? Is Leatherman discontinuing them or updating them or something?

I didn't even know they were out of stock until I saw your post.

My best guess is some kind of supply chain issue. The bits are all made in Taiwan, right? Then again, so are the new Leatherman ratcheting bit driver extenders. Those aren't out of stock. Maybe they're each contracted through a different Taiwanese manufacturer? Maybe there's a shortage on something needed in the manufacturing process for the bits, but not for the ratchets. Who knows? 😕

It's not the first time I've seen that happen, I think a combo of batch production and supply chain troubles are to blame. The lead times on a lot of products is really high right now.

OT: I just read how companies are starting to reverse the trend of offshoring and bringing production back from far away places closer to the US or the EU. It's "near-shoring". In the case of the US it means, Mexico, the Dominican republic and so on, for the EU it means Turkey, or the eastern European countries.

From what I can see, this has been going on for months and there is no information about when the situation will improve. It may be a good idea to consider alternatives.

If you really need a set of compact bits, then you could use 4mm bits instead of leatherman's proprietary bits. You will first need an adapter, such as leatherman's new ratchet, or leatherman's old bit driver extender. Those are both still easy to get, and they will let you use standard 1/4 inch bits. You will then need a 1/4 inch to 4mm bit adapter. This will allow you to use 4mm bits in any bit driver that takes 1/4 inch bits. You will then put the 4mm adapter into the ratchet or extender, and use it to swap out 4mm bits as needed.

Obviously it's not ideal. 4mm bits are typically cheap and aren't as durable, and so you will probably need lots of spares if you need to use them frequently. But on the plus side, you can find 4mm bits for basically any type of screw imaginable. Your capabilities will drastically increase.

Another option is to get a stand alone 1/4 inch bit ratchet or bit driver and just use that instead. There are a few which are extremely small and quite good, and will pair incredibly well with a leatherman, or any pliers based multi tool.

Some options:

711L EDC ratchet wrench
Power Torque GM4315 1/4 bit ratchet
Topeak Rocket Ratchet (expensive)
Vim Tools HBR3 1/4 bit ratchet
Prestacycle Pro T-Handle Ratchet
Victorinox 1/4 bit ratchet (expensive), or Victorinox 1/4 bit wrench (cheaper)

The 711L ratchet is designed specifically to fit into Leatherman's proprietary flat bit driver.

These are all extremely compact and easy to carry 1/4 inch bit drivers. Any of them would be excellent choices to pair with a multi tool.

Onshoring has been a "trend" since forever, it comes and goes. The last big media push for it was about 04 when supply chains collapsed in the wake of GWOT. It's always threatened, but for every company that brings something closer, there is then cheaper factory space for someone else to use.

I’m in the same boat, I got my girlfriend and I new Leathermans and want to ad the bit kit but they’re nowhere to be found except from scalpers on eBay that want 4x the normal cost. I don’t want them that bad.

I talked to Leatherman last week and they said it’s a supply chain issue with the manufacturer and they’re not expect until some time in the fourth quarter of the year. Hopefully they aren’t that far out.

This alternative arrived today. Now if needed I can use the 38 piece standard, or 24 piece security 1/4 inch hex bit bit sets, or 100 piece 4mm hex electronics bit set I have. (bought a 1/4 hex to 4mm hex adapter/reducer last month.)
The LM flat bits fit the ratchet and don't fall out no matter how hard you shake it. 😊
I have all the bit sets (except the 7 piece LM set) in my rollator's tote/shopping bag, along with a few other tools.
The ratchet fits in the larger side loop on the nylon LM sheath.
View attachment 1807812

Where have all the bitkits gone?
Long time passingggg
Where have all the bit kits gone?
Long time agoooo
Where have all the bit kits gone
Leatherman sold them, every one
When willl they ever learn?
When will they eeeeever learn?

Seriously though that sucks I wnat a bit kit, I just bought a Wave with an S30V blade.

I just checked Leatherman's website and all the bit kits are back in stock.
I'm not seeing that. They do still have bit kit replacement #2 for 12 dollars, but when I go to the pages for bit kit replacement #1 or for the full set, they both still say "This item is currently unavailable. Please make another selection".

Oh…I forgot that Leatherman still lists products even if they’re out of stock.

Sorry for getting anyone’s hopes up!

Heads up.

The complete 42 bit (21 double sided bits in 2 separate hard plastic sleeves) Leatherman bit kit sets are now back in stock on Leatherman's website. You can find the full set in the Accessories category for 24 bucks. I added it to my cart and went to the checkout just to make 100% sure they're really back in stock.

I don't know when it happened, but they're definitely back now. Who knows how long it will last? Better get them now while you can, just in case they go out of stock again.

Back