Where and when did you learn about Busse & Kin (Swamp Rat / Scrapyard) knives?

Where and when did you learn about Busse & Kin (Swamp Rat / Scrapyard) knives?

• Internet / Website

• Knife / Gun show

• Other people interested in knives

• Youtube

• Friends / Family

• 1980's

• 1990's

• 2000's

• 2010's

• 2020's

Results are only viewable after voting.

VooDooWitchDoctor

After 40+ years of producing the Toughest Blades in the world, we know you love these knives just as much as we do!

We would like to know how and when you heard about us!

Also, please include if you consider yourself a HOG, RAT, DOG, or more than one!

Please select one location and one time.

I guess I don't really consider myself any of the above, since I've only owned a smattering of the knives, but I remember running across The Battle Mistress in the early days of the internet back in junior highschool in the 90s and thought it was just about the most badass thing I had ever seen.

First saw Busse at gun shows in the 90's. Really learned about them in the late 90's/early 2000's here and the BB's that pre-dated BF.

HOG/RAT/DOG here. Have plenty of all 3 brands and love them all!!! šŸ‘

Got my first Busse during Covid lockdowns. It was a Infidu I bought for my personal kit. I wanted a bulletproof knife made in USA with the balls to stand behind their gear.

Busse fit the bill and this lead to many many purchases.

Definitely a HOG, the ratmandu was replaced with the P&L statement. I have two swamprat's, a mega ratmandu and a Mega Warden. I'm excited for Magnacut offerings but I prefer em Thiiiiiiick.

Last edited:
Iconic BUSSE COMBAT COMPANY print ads first piqued my interest in the 90's.

Then, had a friend who owned a Steel Heart that I "borrowed" haha for a couple years...

Then bought a GW off evil bay after that.

Soon after that I bought a 411 and stripped it.

First Chopweiler arrived on the heels of the 411....the rest is history, same as my savings account. All good.

Internet. I was looking for a knife strop in early 2006 & turned up Busse Air Bleeder in a google search. Unfortunately, I was too late to get a BAB strop from the Busse Company Store...But I did get to find out about the knives right before taking a chance on a few Cold Steel knives...and the rest is history šŸ¤™šŸ˜šŸ˜…šŸ˜…šŸ˜…šŸ˜…

I was/am a regular on a US based firearms firearms forum catering to a specific type of rife that attracts only the most intelligent and discerning crowd ;) ;) a couple of the other regulars there often posted up their new Scrapyards and Swampers. When the knife bug really bit I gravitated in.

I bought a chopper from another commercial company, while reading a review they said it was ok, "but not as good as the Dogfather by Scrapyard".
I went to the Yard and saw the Dogfather and wondered why I wasn't able to order it.
I could, If lucky, score a Regulator in a few days. I did and then heard about some upcoming releases from "the Swamp". I scored a RMD a HRLM and a Swamp Warden. I waited...and waited...and was hooked.

I canā€™t remember the exact year but I was still in high school, stumbled across the name and searched it because the model I saw on a forum caught my eye. I do remember snakeskin micarta being an option on the site at the time. It was probably 10 years later when I could afford to join the club and I have been a Busse owner for 10-12 years now.

I was/am a regular on a US based firearms firearms forum catering to a specific type of rife that attracts only the most intelligent and discerning crowd ;) ;) a couple of the other regulars there often posted up their new Scrapyards and Swampers. When the knife bug really bit I gravitated in.

You mispelled "attractive".

Friends of a new friend had BusseKin. I thought there was no way Iā€™d spend $500 on a knife. Then I handled a HHFSH and it was over.

My first Swamp Rat was a KDSH. I shouldā€™ve bought ten.

Iā€™m a hogradog.

Entered the forum 2006. Made my first trip th the bladeshow 2008, guided by my friend PoorGuy PoorGuy . At the bladeshow i made 100s of new friends through the Busee family.
Met Jerry, David Brown and Mike Thourot at the after show party... Godd old times...:cool:

Some guy in JD had something, but only for trade on ā€œBusse & Kinā€. WTF? Whatā€™s that? It led me to the Busse website, and BF which I already was on as a Benchmade and Cold Steel fan.

Started on the forum looking for a good hard use knife. Found Busse kin right away. First blade was an RMD I bought for $135 on the exchange. Being involved in the Busse kin community was one of the highlights of my early 20's. So many good memories here on the forum. When I got back on this year I was so happy to see alot of the old and familiar user names were still active and posting.

Local Ohio gun shows is where I first heard of them. I have always been drawn more to the Swamp Rat designs.

Back