Where are these swords from?

Hello dear community :)

I could buy these swords cheap and would now like to know where they come from and which era.
Maybe fakes?
Does anyone know?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
You need a good close up photo of the tang where the swordsmith's name is engraved.

I wouldn't call them fakes since they are kinda sword-like, but I would call them very bad reproductions. #3 even had some sort of etching that has been badly polished away.
You want to know where they're from? -China

I'm no expert, and I could be wrong, but I don't see any noticeable hamon on any of those blades. A hamon is the differential heat treat "line" created by the clay during the heat treat process. The "line" goes along the length of the blade on a true, forged, samurai sword. The line is often wavy to some degree, but not always.

It could just be the picture quality, the distance from the camera, and/or my aging eyes, but I don't see any.

If I were going to place a bet I'd wager that they are decorative pieces. But I wouldn't bet more than I could afford to lose ;) .

I am not a collector of Japanese swords, originals are too expensive. I have handled a number, and there are several orders of magnitude Chinese replicas on the market than original Japanese swords. I will say, not every Japanese sword is master class workmanship, I handled one, that the Iwo Jima Veteran personally took off the body of the Japanese Officer whom "we got him too!". I knew this gentleman for a couple of decades, so I know he was not blowing smoke up my orifices. Sammy brought it, and other items, back in his duffle bag. His sword had better workmanship than the fake Chinese replicas I have handled, but, it was not perfect.

The thing is, you have to have the sword in your hand to really evaluate its quality. The first thing I do is hold the sword out at arms length and examine whether or not the edge is straight. Chinese replicas that I own, the edge more or less wanders, and the bevel is not even. Sammy's Japanese sword, the edge was straight, but I was not impressed with the evenness of the bevels. Not horrible, but not perfect. His sword scabbard was very deteriorated, and had writing. Sammy said, someone who read Japanese told him it was Patriotic slogans. I have been told most of the WW2 era Officer swords were quickly made, functional pieces, but made to a price point.

The antique replica Chinese swords quickly reveal themselves by the quick and shoddy workmanship they show, they are not at all weapons of war, and don't feel like one. I do think the better Cheness swords, of which I have a couple, show good workmanship for their price point, and feel right for people chopping. Too bad Cheness has stopped importing his swords.

Agree with the consensus, particularly poorly done reproductions of Japanese style swords. Not old. Not valuable.

No hole for the mekugi on the nakago (tang)??? These are low quality chinese replicas.
The tang is engraved 寛求宏生 which makes no sense. It isn't Japanese.
Guntos are an entirely different category, the vast majority mass factory produced. There are exceptions, but rare.
Guntos have followers in their own right and shouldn't be mixed with other categories.

thank you very much for the quick answers :)
I will post a few more pictures of other swords for your review.

This set are absolutely Chinese low quality replicas.
日本武士 Nihonbushi - Japanese Warrior (ie; Samurai) smack on the blade....LOL
Fake hamon.....
Painted Tsuka (handle)....
The birds are in a Chinese style....
All these fake Katanas are such poor replicas that I suspect they are at least several
decades old.

Last edited:
Look, they are all reproductions, especially bad ones at that. They are garbage in terms of quality & cosmetic appeal. These are definitely from China, lower-end ones at that because China can make really nice ones which sell for thousands. You can post even more pics if you like, but they're all still going to be really bad fakes. Why would you still want to deal with a lying thief that wants to rip you off?

Go spend 15-minutes online and search for pictures of real Katanas? Look at those and compare them to what you are wanting to buy. If you still think they're real after that, then you deserve to have your money stolen.

I knew they were not katanas.
I just wondered if they are cheap copies of katanas or stand alone swords that are worth something...

Thanks for the answers.

I remember these hitting the big auction site around 1999. They would sell for around $20 but shipping was about $40; and they would arrive smelling of fish. They would be artificially aged by being placed within a fish smokehouse.

n2s

I remember these hitting the big auction site around 1999. They would sell for around $20 but shipping was about $40; and they would arrive smelling of fish. They would be artificially aged by being placed within a fish smokehouse.

n2s

I've seen how some forgeries were made in China, they'd throw fake blades & coins into a hole, pee into it and bury it for a few weeks-to-months.

I've seen how some forgeries were made in China, they'd throw fake blades & coins into a hole, pee into it and bury it for a few weeks-to-months.

Best reason I've heard so far to keep them out of the TPP....lol

I recognize these swords, I think my uncle has one, these are old wall hangers, they do not resemble modern katana replicas, the blades are strangely narrow, with very thick tsuba. I took my uncles one apart, and the tang was actually engraved, but not with a makers name, from my limited Japanese I could read some of it, it said "Big sword" in kanji.
Don't buy them,

Make no mistake, these are all Chinese fakes!!! They are fakes in the sense that they are fraudulently attempting to pass as Japanese Swords. Unless the listing states, "these are Chinese replicas of Japanese swords" they are fakes.

Being "signed" means absolutely nothing. These junkers are commonly inscribed with some characters on the tangs to mislead the dumb gweilo (chinese for non-asian). Occasionally, they have some Chinese meaning but they mean nothing in Japanese and are NOT sword smtih names.

Compare them to swords here: Yakiba.com

Last edited:
Back