1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Where can I buy Potassium Permanganate?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by R.H.Clark, Mar 11, 2010.

1. R.H.Clark

R.H.Clark

Aug 23, 2007
    I want to try some as a dye on stag.I would like to know any business you folks have had good dealings with that sells it.

2. el dub

el dub Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2005
    drug store

3. R.H.Clark

R.H.Clark

Aug 23, 2007
    No such luck here.I have tried 3 and they either said I couldn't get it over the counter,they didn't have any or they acted like they thought I was nutts. There are only 3 drug stores within 30 miles.

Is there a trade name these nit wits will know?

4. anvilring

anvilring

Nov 29, 2000
  5. NStricker

NStricker

Feb 23, 2007
    Yep, you need a prescription to get it from a drug store any more. It's used to treat foot fungus.

It's also used to treat aquariums and swimming pools. . .

6. K R Johnson

K R Johnson

Nov 29, 2005
    I got mine at a fleet farm store.

7. Raymond Richard

Raymond Richard

Jun 17, 2001
    Well supply stores also carry it but I believe you need to purchase at least a 5 pound container of it.

8. R.H.Clark

R.H.Clark

Aug 23, 2007
    My local farm supply could order some but only a 50lb bag.

9. Johnny Warner

Johnny Warner

May 21, 2007
    Sears carries it for water treatment as it remove hydrogen sulfide.

10. anvilring

anvilring

Nov 29, 2000
    If you just want a little dab of it, do as Johnny Warner suggests and go to a feed store, and ask for the "purple stuff" that goes in baby chicks water.... it comes in little tablet form.

11. R.H.Clark

R.H.Clark

Aug 23, 2007
    I just tried a couple of places.They said they did have it but it was taken off the market a couple years ago.

Thanks anyway.
    Randy

12. John L

John L Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Oct 28, 2004
    PP can be had from a dozens of places on Ebay. It is an oxidizer...not a dye...thus the reason for banning local sales...it is explosive under the correct conditions...or incorrect...as it may be. I lb will color 20 lbs of stag easily.

13. SBuzek

SBuzek KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2006
    Check the big box stores in the water softner section.
    Stan

14. RicardoMagnificent

RicardoMagnificent

Jun 1, 2009
    Lowe's has it in the water filter section of plumbing...it's used in certain types of water filters.

15. hellgap

hellgap

Dec 17, 2008
    I would go to farm centre, or drug stores . All else fails call a vet they might have a little to spare . Its really cheap 1 oz will treat 5 gallons of water. you only need 1/10 th of a teaspoon to do a bunch of horn . Dnt mix it with anything other than water. I had a bad reaction happen when I mixed it with some dye it nearly caught fire. kellyw

16. R.H.Clark

R.H.Clark

Aug 23, 2007
    Thanks everyone!

How much PP should I mix with how much water to dye horn? Can I mix it in a glass jar and use it for some time? Anyone know how long it will keep?

I will take care in how it is handled.

17. Loosearrow

Loosearrow

Apr 14, 2008
    Try a pool supply. Have used it to dye a powderhorn throat. Mix with glycerin to make fire. My batch came from a pharmacy in a small amout. Used at one time for disinfection.

18. ldowsett

ldowsett

Nov 10, 2012
    You can purchase any where between 30 grams and 500 pounds from manofohm.com. it comes with a msds label and is shipped fast. a truly quality product.

19. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Saturate the P.P. in the water-until no more dissolves.
    I use it in a plastic cup, and add water when I need to use it. I use it on Qtips. A brush will work, too. You only want to color the outside of the stag.
    I just let the solution dry up and add more water when needed.