Where can I get a straight razor to get started ?

Most straight razors won't ship with a final edge, so you will either need to be prepared to set up for honing, which while also learning to shave is like trying to learn to drive while building the car, or find a place that does final honing, or a local honemeister (not a knife sharpening place, they just ruin razors). I'm sure you can find someone local if you look around, but now that the major heat has died down in the fad, I'm not sure who is still in business, or where they are advertizing. Ask whatever seller you are looking at, they may have some connections.

Griffith Shaving Goods is an excellent source for restored and supposedly shave-ready vintage razors. I say "supposedly" only because I have not shaved with one of their edges.

Yes, they are called shavettes or something. I may try that to save $. I have no problem sharpening anything. But may try the replaceable blade set up to start.
I think the idea is if you miss you are less likley to cut your own head off as there is only a sliver of blade sticking out.

I had only minor issues taking up shaving with a straight razor, but I cut myself up something awful with a Shavette. Guess I need to see exactly where the blade is.

I have been in the hobby for years now. If you end up shaving regularly with a traditional straight you will inevitably have to learn how to maintain them too. It’s not hard, but if you are the obsessive type it can be a deep dive into different honing mediums. Unlike knife sharpening the ultimate test of your edge is wiping whiskers off your face so it can get interesting, and if you get into Japanese natural stones the hit to the wallet can be huge.

If you just want to shave with an open edged razor and don’t care what kind, the Feather Artist club razors are really good, and the edge can last for dozens of shaves.

I haven’t shaved with a plastic razor in over 19 years, and have used straights for the last 15. Eventually the shave is as uneventful, comfortable and as fast as a regular shave with a Gillette 5 blade. And cheaper too

Sorry, to answer your question, as was mentioned the key is less what razor you get, but more having it honed to shave ready. You will also need a strop. Seems West Coast shaving sells them shave ready.

I think the idea is if you miss you are less likley to cut your own head off as there is only a sliver of blade sticking out.
Close but not quite, a shavette will still take a nasty bite, since there is still not a guard, they are just not as heavy as some there is no real blade momentum (that's shockingly a thing when you get to either 6/8 and taller or wedge profile blades, they don't have to be "sharp" they just keep on going) The downside to a shavette is that lack of momentum so they can "feel" duller because every hair cut is transmitted to the fingers and face, think chopper vs paring knife, the chopper may not be "sharper" but it ain't stopping.

Yes, they are called shavettes or something. I may try that to save $. I have no problem sharpening anything. But may try the replaceable blade set up to start.
My advice to you if you are going to learn how to hone straight razors is to not ask for advice on honing in the straight razor forms that are out there.

My advice to you if you are going to learn how to hone straight razors is to not ask for advice on honing in the straight razor forms that are out there.
I’ve been reading about honing. Everything from using flat stones to stones shaped to mimic a wheel radius to generate a concave edge. Lots of differing information for sure

There is a lot out there, the best I can offer is to choose a system that reduces variables. pick well-known stones like the norton water stones (they have a very high level of consistency and have been in use for a long time, so there is a lot of info on using a norton 4k and 8k to get a shaving edge) There are others, but a lot of natural stones have variability and it would be hard to know if you got a "good" one.
Then work slowly and take lots of notes. While learning to hone, change as few variables as possible, including beard prep and routine. Then expand if you want when you can reliably hit your target. Read old stuff if you can find it from about 2005-2012. Get one razor running really well, then try another. It can be done, but a lot of guys get fancy and then convince themselves that they have "one weird trick" when the reality is something totally different.

from the "big river" (or jungle with same name) site. Under $8, if I recall right. (had it 5 years now)
Rough Rider/Rough Ryder has a copule with ... more colorful ... acrylic handles that look like celluloid, without celluloid's outgassing problem.
I didn't need or want the full set-up. I quit shaving in early-mid 1974.
I "needed" this part of the kit for a folding patch knife (like the "mountain man" had) when loading my Hawkin.
(cotton is easier on an edge than face fur.)
View attachment 2426542

Budget is not a bid issue. Looking to get a good set up and give it a try!
By now you probably have a razor. For starters I'd suggest going to a barber supply house and get a cheap handle with good disposable blades. You're learning curve can be short.

Duluth Trading Company had a straight razor on display in their knife cabinet. Don't recall it being that expensive. They may have had a razor strop in the same case, but it has been a while since I looked.

Back