Where can one find a spanner socket to fit the handle of the SOG Bowies?

I have several SOG Bowie's, all with the very slick looking spanner nut on the pommel and I'd like to find the right tool to have with me in the field in case I need to adjust the handle. Does anyone here know where to buy the correct size spanner socket/and or wrench for the SOG's? I assume that they're all the same size......looking at them now it appears that the on on my regular sized Bowie's is the same as the one on the Super Bowie.

Thanks in advance for any info you may provide.

Seriously, someone MUST know what size spanner socket is required to tighten the nut on SOG's fixed blades that use spanner nuts. I'd like to order a socket/or tool to fit my fixed blades so that I we have it on hand if needed and I've emailed SOG and posted on two forums and other then being told to use a cut up credit card or an adjustable wrench I've had no response. It's certainly not the responsibility of Bladeforums member's to help someone out but I'm very surprised by the lack of support from SOG.

I've lost track of just how many SOG fixed blades (for me and my son's) I've bought over the years and I've never bothered customer service, don't they not care that a loyal customer has a question? I used their contact form that they provide on their website and I've received no reply. I'm sure I could take one of the knives with me and try sockets out until I found the correct size but I assume not all hardware stores carry spanner sockets or tools.

KLJ

Unfortunately there is not an off the shelf part that will work with our current spanner nut. It uses a pin configuration that we developed. I have heard of a few people making their own with some short steel pins.

If you have one of the older versions that has the slotted type, there might be an option but again i think it will require custom fabricating something to work. I have heard of modifying a straight blade screwdriver to work with the slotted spanner nut.

I wish I had an of the shelf part for you. If you are having problems with the spanner nut coming loose on your knives you are more than welcome to send them back to SOG for inspection / repair.

Thanks for the reply, I was starting to get the feeling that this wasn't a part I'd find at Lowe's or Home Depot.
Out of a half dozen (maybe a couple more than that) we've only had one that the nut came loose and we can fix it but I was hoping to buy the correct tool so we could keep it on the truck. Thank you for getting back to me.
Take care.

I used a pair of hardened steel pins last week to disassemble a SOG Recon Bowie. I clamped the blade in a padded vice with the pommel straight up in the air. I applied downward pressure on the two pins while turning the pins with an adjustable wrench clamped down on the pins. Worked well for me.

Back