Where could I find a knife terminology guide?

I am a little bewildered by the fariety of finishes, point styles, steel types and locking mechanisms. Could anyone point me to a guide explaining what the terms mean and how the different styles are significant? Thanks.

PS: New to this forum, but where runt_of_the_litter goes, her kitten follows.

Ooops! Just found the Knowledge Base...still, illustrated guides would be welcome.

------------------
Cheshire kitten http://www.a-human-right.com http://www.olegvolk.net

[This message has been edited by kitten (edited 11-21-2000).]

Kitten,
Welcome!
A.G.Russell has a Knife Encyclopedia on his web site check it out.
Good Collecting!
JOCKO

Lots of useful info but no pictures...I find it difficult to envision many of the variations.

There are pictures in the AGRussell knife encylopedia. For example, there is a picture of a clip point blade under 'clip point'. Another good text encyclopedia is the one by Joe Talmadge at KnifeArt.com: Knife Encyclopedia

There are a number of other great articles at the knifeart site: Knife Articles

I especially recommend Darrel Ralph's how to evaluate a custom knife article. Although written with custom knives in mind, the principles are the same for production pieces. The Edge Geometry article by Joe Talmadge is also worth reading.

If you have a specific question, ask it here and someone will be happy to help. Or you can use the Search link at the top of every page to search any of the forums and archives for specific topics.

Welcome to Bladeforums, Kitten (that is a most unusual nick for a guy named Oleg)!
smile.gif

Paracelsus, still learning

[This message has been edited by Paracelsus (edited 11-21-2000).]

Meow! (That's welcome in cat talk for those who are unfamiliar with the lingo.)
wink.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

I think we have enough brain power right here in the forum. Here's what I know:
Choil: Acronym for 'cheap oil.'
Ricasso: Cuban band leader, formally Ricky Ricasso; has a crazy wife, Lucy, who tries to get into the act.
Blood Groove: When you get the bass adjusted 'just right,' but your ears still bleed.
Hollow Grind: Above average sex with a woman who doesn't really like you.
Tanto: Indigenous American who does all of the grunt work at the bingo hall.
Pocket Clip: Embarrassing activation of an auto knife in your 'front' pants pocket.
Tang: Vampire Gerbil's favorite beverage.
Stag Grips: Dateless Electricians.
I could go on, but I hate to brag...--OKG

Back