Where did this CJ Buck quote come from?

"It's a testosterone thing," says Buck's chairman, Charles "Chuck" Buck, 75 years old, who estimates the retail market for tactical knives at $1 billion.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06206/708441-28.stm

The article as a whole is terribly selective in it's statements and statistics. I was wondering in what context such a comment was actually made. It's somewhat damaging to the knife enthusiast as presented in the article, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant to be when stated.

Im not so sure he's wrong about the situation. The knife business is to a large extent "a testosterone thing". The difference is I don't think we should be apologetic about it. Tactical and fantasy knives tap a huge market that simply were not served by hunting/utilitarian knives. Testosterone seems to drive the market for larger blades, meaner serrations, faster opening, ultra durable, and often, less practical knives.

I dont feel "meaner serrations" or faster opening are often less practical.
I use my Buck EDC's at work alot. I like to carry a Mayo hilo.
I recently purchased some ASAP knives.
I love them. When I'm on a ladder in a papermill it is a heck of alot easier and MORE USEFUL when I have the one handed sirus to cut off pipe insulation...
ETC. sometimes 2 hands is alot. Whether cutting hoses for cars fixing cutting anything. Sometimes 2 hands is impossible!!!!!! Serrations are awesome for cutting real heavy duty stuff! Not intended to look mean...
I wonder if anyone stuck in their seatbelt in a burning car thought serrations and one handed opening were impractical?
Jim

wh4f said:
I dont feel "meaner serrations" or faster opening are often less practical....When I'm on a ladder in a papermill it is a heck of alot easier and MORE USEFUL when I have the (a) one handed (knife) to cut off pipe insulation...
ETC. sometimes 2 hands is alot. Whether cutting hoses for cars fixing cutting anything. Sometimes 2 hands is impossible!!!!!! Serrations are awesome for cutting real heavy duty stuff! Not intended to look mean...
I wonder if anyone stuck in their seatbelt in a burning car thought serrations and one handed opening were impractical?
Jim
man i have to agree with you !!!
it is the miltary look that many are not likeing (read afarde of) same as with guns... ever sence the ar15 and the ak47 that got rid of troublesom wood and went to effencey looking material that has been the bane of trouble...
ever sence the kunfu type defense knives started showing up and the miltarey or rather "police & emgerancy use" knives were desplayed in tv showes that the alarmed afarde meada looking rfor emotionly charged subjests and using emotinonly charghes words to sell a story that many have become afarde. a latheing hatach is more deadly then any that speachel forces used as a thomack.
it up to some one to make seance of all the hype... and wright your congersswoman or man and make your feelings known as if you dont belive what can happen here look at eangland's new laws for some thing to be afarde of...

yea i thought that most kife use was by mem so thought well maby it is a hormone thnig but wate say thoes words again- 'knife use' oh the light comes on who uses a kife most every day - who ever is cooking in the kitchen !! so it is not a horemon thnig afgter all ... who wants to be arested for haveing a carveing or boneing knife in the car... !!! it can happen .... stress knife use in kitchen and transproring them to the congresswoman you wright to ...talk of high teck... loke at the gen ssuee knives and other modern kitchen knives !
and also reming them that a 'bowie fighting knife' was modled after a freanch chefs knife used in a kitchen!!!

Chuck Buck told me a long time ago, those crazy reporters always get it wrong so don't believe what you see in articles.
When he told me that, I was asking him about some statements his grandfather Hoyt had made that were printed in a late 1940's newspaper. I guess some things never change...

Joe Houser said:
Chuck Buck told me a long time ago, those crazy reporters always get it wrong so don't believe what you see in articles.

There's alot of truth in that, I learned that first hand when a family member was interviewed once, the reporter actually took the answer from one question and put it with another question, making the answer the exact opposite of what was said by editing the video.

Thats how our wonderful media works in this country they make the news!
Report how they need to- to make a story.
Jim

wh4f said:
Thats how our wonderful media works in this country they make the news!

You really think this is only a characteristic of our media in this country? I'd venture to guess you don't travel much.

Sorry I meant ALL media!
Gotta give you something to read about!

I heard a bus went over a cliff in Brazil. over a hundred people were killed. If you want to put out a good media spin on that story - you could rewrite it as - "Brazil public transportation busses can hold over a hundred people!" Or "Tourist get upclose view of beautiful valley" or "the people sitting in the front of the bus were the first to arrive!" " Bus driver takes short cut." "Flying bus proves impractical."
I'd be a great spin doctor.
Porky
BCCI 1107

Back