Where is everyone buying from?

I have a couple things coming up and going to need hafts for everything from hammers to axes to old rakes and various things.

I do not mean to stir any pots or cause drama. Just simply looking to learn where the community is buying from. Rather than saying "I've had nothing but bad luck or been disappointed with xxx", can you let me know who you have bought from that you would be confident the quality will be the same for your next order? Thanks.

I ordered 10 axe handles from House Handle, hand select no lacquer and I had great results.

Tennessee Hickery Products
24liii8.jpg

34y8cio.jpg

I mainly slum it I the $2 reject bin
eju2ht.jpg

Home Hardware has seen most of my money for axe handles. Princess Auto is a close second for hammers and such.

I ordered about 17-18 handles from House Handles a while back. I ordered the select option. 28", 36" single bit and some double bit handles. The grain orientation and run out was excellent. Quick. I should have ordered them without the lacquer finish, but by the time I get done with them, there isn't any left, so I save some money. I need to order more as I have picked up a few more heads.

Tennessee Hickory, their affiliate Beavertooth, House Handle and my local hardware stores. I occasionally find great handles from Link at Ace Hardware. Do-It-Best will sometimes have a good handle. My local chainsaw shop carries TH so I can pick from their stock.

IMO there is no better wood that what TH sells. Sadly their handles are fat as baseball bats and need major slimming to be usable. House has handles that are closer to being usable but are noticeably a step below TH in wood quality. I usually buy TH and modify it.

For boys axe handles and cruiser handles give Ace a look. Their Link stuff in these sizes is for some reason better than their full size stuff.

Tennessee Hickory, their affiliate Beavertooth, House Handle and my local hardware stores. I occasionally find great handles from Link at Ace Hardware. Do-It-Best will sometimes have a good handle. My local chainsaw shop carries TH so I can pick from their stock.

IMO there is no better wood that what TH sells. Sadly their handles are fat as baseball bats and need major slimming to be usable. House has handles that are closer to being usable but are noticeably a step below TH in wood quality. I usually buy TH and modify it.

For boys axe handles and cruiser handles give Ace a look. Their Link stuff in these sizes is for some reason better than their full size stuff.
I told the production manager that their handles were super fat. He laughed in an i know kind of way. I like the extra meat because I'm going to hit it hard anyway with the Sureform and rasp. I think I'm going to get by there on Wednesday and can snap some better pics. Last time i was there i bought 20 various handles for $115. I need to ask about buying some blanks.

A few months ago I got a box full of NOS single bit handles from a old hardware store auction . Paid $50. I've used or sold just about every handle I have. I usually use the handles that come on these vintage axes, I've had really good luck with the ones I have gotten. No cracks, decent grain orientation. I will be ordering a octagonal from house handle soon though.

I had terrible luck with house handle. Their costomer service was horrible. Lied to me 3 different phone conversations. Won't do business with them again.

I buy from local Hardware stores. Link Handle or their private house brand is usually available.
I dont have near the big axeboner of perfection some guys have. I just pick best of the bunch & dont worry if their selection is not stellar prime examples.

Lucky for you, Quinton, living in shagbark hickory country. I have a few black locust staves drying but that's probably as good as I'm gonna find around here. And BTW - I have a plan for that fine stave you sent me. I'm gonna try to do a knob end haft for a small Walters full size.

I,m gonna say it only because it's true . I ordered a handle from Beaver Tooth 3 weeks ago . And after 3 emails not so much as a reply .

We are running out of Ash. We cut a big ash on our property several years ago and the handle lanks are gone now.. I live in the head of a holler, in a holler in Eastern,Ky.. I cant throw a rock without hitting a hickory. Scaly bark,bitternut and pignut by the droves..Need to down one and stave it up for blanks

Back