Where to buy CBN abrasive belts for 2x72

Ceramic belts are good for most hss but try grinding some 70 RC Rex 121 and tell me how they do. ;P

There are plenty of super steels out there that will destroy ceramic belts grinding hardened, I'd like to see some CBN belts also.

However as a short term solution, I'd recommend considering CBN wheels for a large pedestal grinder for rough work, or hollow grinding.

http://us.vsmabrasives.com/product/ba970x/
VSM Belts - "BA 970X"......is the same belts that picard-kg.de supplied ;)
ORDER EXAMPLE ..... last paragraph on Picard-kg.de
CBN-abrasive belt "BA 970X"
50 x 2300 mm, 126 mü
E27
Price is approximately 150$ :(
Haha thats cheap, I called they quoted me at $1500 per belt! They don't have any in stock, these are the German belts too.
They are 2x130 inch

He said he could cut a belt in half and sell for $750.
Pocket change :D

Not gonna happen.

All well

http://us.vsmabrasives.com/product/ba970x/
VSM Belts - "BA 970X"......is the same belts that picard-kg.de supplied ;)
ORDER EXAMPLE ..... last paragraph on Picard-kg.de
CBN-abrasive belt "BA 970X"
50 x 2300 mm, 126 mü
E27
Price is approximately 150$ :(
I've ground 10v at 68.5rc w/ no issues... the key is to not go above 120 grit. I grind at low speed though (~1500-2000 sfpm), and under coolant. I did have to use diamond lapping film for the hand-rubbed flats though, the SiC paper wasn't doing much. CBN would be cool though, I would be interested in trying a belt if anyone ever comes out w/ it, but I don't think it's necessarily needed.

I have ceramic and CBN wheels that I also use w/ coolant and never had an issue w/ either. One may last longer than the other over doing thousands of knives, but it would be hard to tell. We don't get close to the temps required to break down diamond prematurely so I don't think that's an issue. Mike (owner I believe) at the perfect edge has compared and uses some custom made plated diamond wheels with specific serrated patterns in them and said that it's no comparison to other abrasives (on a phone call w/ me) and they get 3k-4k+ knives off of one wheel if I remember correctly. I don't know the speeds and feeds they use though.

i-jrt3jv5-X2.jpg

Ceramic belts are good for most hss but try grinding some 70 RC Rex 121 and tell me how they do. ;P

There are plenty of super steels out there that will destroy ceramic belts grinding hardened, I'd like to see some CBN belts also.

However as a short term solution, I'd recommend considering CBN wheels for a large pedestal grinder for rough work, or hollow grinding.
Well , that THING is close to carbide materials then to steel :D

Haha thats cheap, I called they quoted me at $1500 per belt! They don't have any in stock, these are the German belts too.
They are 2x130 inch

He said he could cut a belt in half and sell for $750.
Pocket change :D

Not gonna happen.

All well

It seems that Kevlar+ CBN = wet dreams :(

Grail belt? :D :p
Grail steel .................now grail belt ..............what is next ? :)
I did a little math........... I need 2 x 42 belt . So 1500 $ / 130 inch = 11.5$ per inch X 42 = 484 ............ $$$$$$$$$$ :( So .............. I LIKE ceramic belts :D

guys...VSM ceramic belts under coolant works fine ;)
that does not mean you should scout other methods :thumbsup:

I think the last post has the most important info. Before you start looking for the ultimate steel, and the ultimate belt to grind it .... you need the ultimate grinder. For those type tasks, 2X130, VS, 2 or more HP, wet grinding, pneumatic tension.

I got a quote back from one of the Chinese manufacturers.

50mm x 1830mm belt CBN - $155 each - any grit between 100 and 3000
50mm x 1830mm belt Diamond - $130 each - any grit between 100 and 3000

60 grit can be had for a higher price.

Tempted to get a 400 or 600 grit one just to see what it does to 4v or similar.

CBN wheels last practically forever in comparison to aluminum oxide. I have trouble believing belts have the same longevity just from the nature of their bonding and flexing constantly.

That's not a bad price on diamond belts compared to what they go for from lapidary suppliers. Were they just offering certain sizes, or will they make belts to suit?

Those are the sizes I requested, they'll do just about any size the way it sounded. Before I take the plunge I'm going to try finishing something high carbide, high hardness, up to 1200 grit with my diamond stones to see if my theory for their poor finishes at higher grit is correct. I have a flat beveled CPM M4 knife sitting around waiting to be finished because I can't get a satisfactory finish on the bevels with any of my belts.

I got a quote back from one of the Chinese manufacturers.

50mm x 1830mm belt CBN - $155 each - any grit between 100 and 3000
50mm x 1830mm belt Diamond - $130 each - any grit between 100 and 3000

60 grit can be had for a higher price.

Tempted to get a 400 or 600 grit one just to see what it does to 4v or similar.

CBN wheels last practically forever in comparison to aluminum oxide. I have trouble believing belts have the same longevity just from the nature of their bonding and flexing constantly.
Damn, China gave you a better quote, I got $250 per belt with a 10 pcs minimum.
Brutal.

Damn, China gave you a better quote, I got $250 per belt with a 10 pcs minimum.
Brutal.
They always say that . . .Some years ago I ask for price for three different fishing rod blanks , they answer me that I can buy but only ten piece by model .No way .. If I buy I will first buy one piece for model ..must see rods before I buy 30 piece .They agree and sand me what I ask .Now I have three fishing rods for 150 $ that in England cost 2000 $ ;) I will contact them this days , most probably I will order two or three 40 /120 and 400 grit CBN belts for my 50 x 1020 belt grinder .I hope they will give me good price for that length .I do not expect German quality but who knows .......I will never know if I don t take risk :D

Last edited:
Well I make contact but I get answer that this CBN belts are ONLY for wet grinding ???????????????

Last edited:
I know this is a old thread but I did notice that tru grit had 1"x36" diamond belts for less than $20. They also have a ceramic trizac. Has anyone given either if these a try? I have a piece of M4 that I can't wait to try but I'm nervous about finishing it.

I know this is a old thread but I did notice that tru grit had 1"x36" diamond belts for less than $20. They also have a ceramic trizac. Has anyone given either if these a try? I have a piece of M4 that I can't wait to try but I'm nervous about finishing it.
Diamond is not used for steel on power equipment. The reason is that diamond IS carbon and is soluble in the iron in the steel when used with enough pressure and heat.

Basically it detroys the abrasive faster and might not be ideal for the steel.

Some argue they are doing low speed grinding without getting high enough temperatures to cause problems.

However it's generally frowned upon to use diamond abrasives with power equipment. The diamond belts are for glass, ceramic and carbide.

Not designed for steel, not to mention the binder is too weak to hold the diamond on the belt for steel applications.

That's why CBN is so desirable but also why it was wayyyy to much money. They found a special way to bond the hard abrasive on a thin metal belt with a Kevlar backing.

But in the end, it's just too damn expensive.

Doesn't matter how good it is at that kind of cost $300-1200 plus depending on where you look PER BELT!

Just save the money and buy more ceramic belts.

In your case, if your using a 1x30 , a 2x72 is going to be a wayyyy more important upgrade then CBN or diamond belts

That's what's holding you back, and I understand why. The grinders are expensive.
But trust me, it's worth it.

Shawn

Back