1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation? Where to buy San Mia billets?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Coy Ranch, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Coy Ranch

Coy Ranch

Aug 23, 2017
    Anyone cranking out any billets for sale? I would really like to work some San Mia.

2. Tom Lewis

Tom Lewis

Feb 24, 2000
    The New Jersey Steel Baron sells what he calls double clad steel. It has a core of 52100 and the two outsides are 410 ss. It is pricy.

Coy Ranch likes this.
  3. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    Isn't San Mai just CS trademark name for laminated/clad steels and Chinese or Japanese word that translates to the same?

4. JTknives

JTknives ABS Apprentice Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    It was my understanding that the CS trademark was San Mia III. It had to have the 3 III after it to be protected.

5. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I get a lot of it from Dictum and some from Workshop Heaven.

Willie71 and Coy Ranch like this.
  6. DAMNENG

DAMNENG

Dec 17, 2005
    Coy Ranch likes this.
  7. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    Stacy do you buy from Workshop Heaven because of availability or low shipping price? I ask because when I looked, their prices seemed a lot higher than Dictum even accounting for currency difference.

8. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    They occasionally had something that Dictum didn't have available. Since Dictum started carrying a larger selection and longer pieces, I buy large orders from them about once a year. I haven't ordered from WSH in a couple years.

There are several ebay sellers who buy in bulk from both WSH and Dictum and resell at a pretty good price when you figure the shipping cost in.

Coy Ranch likes this.
  9. Coy Ranch

Coy Ranch

Aug 23, 2017
    Thanks to everyone who contributed. Very helpful.

10. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    I did notice that if you play around with the quantities on the Dictum site, you can figure out where it jumps up to the next higher shipping cost. You may be able to get 9 pieces shipped for say $60, but 10 will cost you $80 or so. The percentage of the cost associated with shipping goes down fairly quickly as the order gets bigger if you watch out for that.

Coy Ranch and Willie71 like this.
  11. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    Dictum is quite reasonable for what they are selling. I would recommend them to anyone who isn’t set up to forge weld their own.

Coy Ranch likes this.
  12. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    In agree. Dictum sells first quality Hitachi steels and laminates. I use a lot of their suminagashi and warikomi. It allows me to make an affordable tanto or wakizashi that is of good quality and cutting ability.

13. ChristoDart

ChristoDart

Jun 29, 2011
    Anyone have examples of knives where they used New Jersey Steel Baron's??