Where to find decorative cap-nuts

Sando

Knife Maker
(OK IG skip the wise cracks ;) )

I'm looking for a cap-nut to go on the end of a stick tang to hold on the butt cap on an antler handle. But I want something attractive. Can't find it at any of the knife maker places or at the hardware store.

I don't want a pummel, just a good lookin' cap-nut.

There has to be a source. (Well maybe Chris wants to make some on his new lathe!?)

Steve

Burchtree

KnifeMaker & Moderator
I'm with you on that one Steve. Or maybe Raymond can show us how he does his wrought iron ones. :)

Ray makes some beauties. I have made them by drilling and tapping a block of steel or brass and using a cut off bolt to chuck it in an electric drill. Shape it on the grinder.

Or you can cheat (as I frequently do) and go to a really good lamp parts house :eek:

Sando

Knife Maker
Thanks Peter! What an idea.

Maybe even put it in the drill press and shape a little with a dremel bit.

Where there's a will there's a way.

I don't know of any 'lamp' places. I like your first idea best.

Steve

I wish I could take credit for it Steve. Bruce Evans makes the balls for his Bowie Guards that way. He has a tutorial on his web site.

The same technique holds true with many things though. I told a friend the other day that I used an electric drill and slack belt grinder to reduce the wall thickness on rifle barrels.

I have turned more things using an electric drill and grinder than I have using a lathe. It's a very versatile idea.

Sando

Knife Maker
Thanks Mark,

Yeah I did. They had pummels and thingamabobs for folders, but nothing in the size I wanted.

Steve