Where to find decorative cap-nuts

Sando

Knife Maker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
(OK IG skip the wise cracks ;) )

I'm looking for a cap-nut to go on the end of a stick tang to hold on the butt cap on an antler handle. But I want something attractive. Can't find it at any of the knife maker places or at the hardware store.

I don't want a pummel, just a good lookin' cap-nut.

There has to be a source. (Well maybe Chris wants to make some on his new lathe!?)

Steve

I'm with you on that one Steve. Or maybe Raymond can show us how he does his wrought iron ones. :)

Ray makes some beauties. I have made them by drilling and tapping a block of steel or brass and using a cut off bolt to chuck it in an electric drill. Shape it on the grinder.

Or you can cheat (as I frequently do) and go to a really good lamp parts house :eek:

Thanks Peter! What an idea.

Maybe even put it in the drill press and shape a little with a dremel bit.

Where there's a will there's a way.

I don't know of any 'lamp' places. I like your first idea best.

Steve

I wish I could take credit for it Steve. Bruce Evans makes the balls for his Bowie Guards that way. He has a tutorial on his web site.

The same technique holds true with many things though. I told a friend the other day that I used an electric drill and slack belt grinder to reduce the wall thickness on rifle barrels.

I have turned more things using an electric drill and grinder than I have using a lathe. It's a very versatile idea.

Thanks Mark,

Yeah I did. They had pummels and thingamabobs for folders, but nothing in the size I wanted.

Steve

Back