where to find steel knitting needles ?

Boy you guys have been busy while I was gone . I see some nice little throwers . I especially Like the etching needles . The pitchfork tines sound neat too .

ddean said:
icon1.gif

Had to look that up......

What's an etching needle ?

"The Twisted Etching Needle is a crossover hit too, in world of modeling, moldmaking, and sgrafitto.
Solid steel,
7" (178 mm) long. "

45212-0000-3ww.jpg

http://www.dickblick.com/zz452/12/

Looks pointy. :D

<:)> THEY call me 'Dean' <>
dean-sp-sm.jpg

<:eek:> Caution: Not all concepts venting from this brain are entirely based on empirical data. fWiW-JMO-M2C-iIRC-YMMV-fYI
<:D> Noobee <> Tips <> Baha'i Prayers Links --A--T--H--D

I have one of those, I used it for intaglio etching. I think it is high carbon steel.

I throw 8" nails regularly and can easily get them to stick in wood without any modification at over 20 ft. - I don't have a grinder so after taking 30 minutes to sharpen one I decided to have a go without. I've noticed there are a wide variety of coat hangers available. Some are made of metal so soft that you can't help but warp them with every throw - while others never need straightening. Generally the brass colored hangers are better than the painted ones. Older coat hangers generally are stiffer as well.

strikern40015 said:
Why go to all this trouble when you can goto ANY hardware ( Home Depot, Ace, True Value ) I'll even ship you some if you cover the cost, and get 10", 12", or 16" Galvanized steel nails. I use my bench grinder to sharpen them and I hacksaw the heads off. I made 10 for about $2 and they stick perfect from 6-15-20 feet and they are very low maintance!!! Way better than an expensive drill bit or screwdriver!!

commandojoe said:
HPIM0705.jpg
kabar for comparison to size
HPIM0699.jpg

HPIM0709.jpg

13 ft away using non-rotation throw

put a piece of yarn, thread, etc in that needle, pull it so it's centered, even tie an overhand knot in the middle. acts as a tail. to throw, hold in palm, point away from thumb, and kind of let it roll a little towards your fingers... while rotating your hand so the point is towards your target, flick to release... easier to show than describe. VERY accurate. used to use these a bit at school :>

that no flipping thing seems like a particular trick i learned when i was a supreme club juggler. juggling in flats instead of multiples of spins. throws knives that way about the same it seems.

bladite

Would you mind taking a few pictures of how you hold it when you do this throw please Maybe a few of your body stance and such

Take care
Knifesmith

Kevin the grey said:
I just made a long post that evaporated so I,m making this quick . I,m looking for tough steel knitting needles to throw . I want something tough and that I can sharpen and throw without it collapsing like a coathanger . Two points and heavy as possible .

Kevin, I had good results last year when we used long nails in a throwing booth at our school fair. They were about 8 inches long and about 1/4 inch in diameter. You could easily file the heads off and have points on both ends if you want.

Robert

Back