Where to find tiny sharpening stone for survival knife

Im trying to locate where to go to purchase the very small sharpening stone that fits in the leather pocket on the sheath of old survival knife, for example the Camillus pilot knife fixed blade or the old explorer survival knives. I do not know the dimensions. Can anyone direct me ??
Thank You
Cary

I would suggest you look at some of the sellers of sharpening materials after you get dimensions. You may even find something in your local hardware store that fits.

Is appearance important, or do you just want something that will work? If the latter, just get an EZE-LAP Stone and Hone and trim the plastic tab to fit your pouch. If the former, take 22-Rimfire’s advice.
02A23D3D-A661-4A2D-809F-B2CEE8C29765.jpeg

Last edited:
NOTHING, and I mean nothing beats the "Redi-Edge"- in a pinch it'll scrape some meat off the blade with the creamic "V" and has both a bunch of other options like fish hook sharpener, coarse side, drilled hole for lanyard or whatever, finger slot, some have a stropping rod/serration rod.. I wouldn't run a high end blade through it, but it will put a shaving sharp yet toothy edge on just about anything. The coarse side is OK for better stuff, but I think you could literally sharpen a piece of scrap metal with this thing. My favorite version is about 1.5" X 1/2". Ceramic "V" can be flipped and turned for 4 rounds of use before replacing for $8. They average about $25 which seems like a lot for this tiny gizmo but it's a lifesaver if you need it.

A rock and mineral shop with a diamond saw can cut stones to order. The price is determined by the number of square inches cut. You must furnish the stone as well as the final dimensions.

I just bought 2 new Ontario 499's. Knife center has a good deal on them now. I have no use for the stones, PM me and I will gladly send them out to you.

Soleil, I LOVE your avatar photo....... That cut down EZE lap paddle is a great idea and will be lighter, last longer, and be easier to use than the original stone. I used a USAF pilot's knife for many years and the supplied stone was awful to use on a big blade.

Norton has pocket version of sil carbide stone in fine grit,its its pr good and inexpensive,dmt has those mini keychain stones in 3,4 grits,theyre pretty good too.

Explorer wilderness https://imgur.com/a/nlDEh0O

My stone I bought for my explorer wilderness came from ace . That was back in the early 80s and was their brand. It measures 3 inches by 1 inch by 3/8 inches if that helps

Explorer wilderness https://imgur.com/a/nlDEh0O

My stone I bought for my explorer wilderness came from ace . That was back in the early 80s and was their brand. It measures 3 inches by 1 inch by 3/8 inches if that helps

Thought of the same stone, when seeing this thread the other day.

I have a couple of them from ACE, in SiC (silicon carbide), purchased maybe ~ 4 years ago. They measure 3" x 7/8" x 3/8". Pretty good little stones. In SiC, they'll be darker in color, essentially black, as compared to a similar-sized stone in aluminum oxide, which are generally grayer.

Back