Where to get bench stones?

I have an EZE bladesharpener and I want to get some good quiality bench stones at a resonable price. I would like to get a good variety of grits from coarse to as fine as possible. The stones cannot be any longer than 9 inches and any shorter than 7 1/2 (unless I make a spacer). I would like suggestions on what stones to buy and where to buy them. Thanks in advance!!!

HoB

Regular benchstones, I would always suggest waterstones. Which ones is difficult to say. I would suggest a set consisting of a 220-320 stone for major stock removal, 700-1200 to set an edge, 3000-5000 for the initial finish, 8000-15000 for a final high polish. I believe that in each range one stone is enough. I really like the Bester stones. Great bang for the buck, but unfortunately only available in very limited grits. Among the 8000-15000 grit variety, there are many good ones to choose from: Kitayama, Shapton, Naniwa seem to be the most common and most popular I would say. Difficult is the range around 3000-5000 grit. The blue stones work well but are very soft and the Shapton 5000 has a stellar reputation.

I like the following vendors:
www.hidatool.com Look under woodworking
www.bladegallery.com
www.japanwoodworker.com

Good luck.

Hi Trailside,

You replied to me on the Swamp Rat forum on the EZESharp. I have been looking at the stones. I think we need 1" thick stones, it'll be much easier to work with. Shapton's stones seem to be only 0.5" thick (like the Spyderco benchstones). Norton waterstones are 1" thick but they are 8 X 3 which is OK since the EZESharp comes with the big stone frame which can accomodate the 3" width stones. There is a company Craftsman Studio that sells 8 X 2 X 1 Norton waterstones but they don't ship out of the U.S. and I'm living in Canada. You could get these.

I'm most likely going for the Spyderco with the 0.5" thick benchstones, it will be more difficult to mount than the 1" benchstones.

Hey BillL,
I love my EZE sharpener! If I can be of any help on getting you some stones let me know. I don't believe there is a better sharpener on the market that the EZE and that includes the Edge Pro. I think I am with you, I believe I am going to get some Spyderco stones. Thanks!!!

Hi Yuzuha,

They don't carry the 2" wide stones, for the standard 8 X 3 X 1, I can get them from LeeValley locally.

Thanks