1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to get chunk of steel to make 1st razor? (And size ideas?)

Discussion in 'Razors, Scissors, & Personal Grooming' started by AndrewC, Mar 7, 2018.

1. AndrewC

Nov 14, 2017
    I make chef's knives professionally, but am interested in trying out making a straight razor just for fun. Best understanding after a little research is that O1 is the solid default, maybe 1095, 1080+, 52100 as alternatives. And that something like 1/4" is about right, and I suspect easier and cheaper to source than other thicknesses a little thicker. Oh, and I'm not sure what length to plan on.

Any recommendations as to where to find such a chunk, what size to get, and thoughts on steel? I really don't want to order a few feet of something pricy. Amazon/SmallParts will ship me 18" of 1" wide 1/4" O1 for $38 inc. shipping, which seems like about as good as I'm likely to get....? Would love to hear what a "typical" billet might be for starting out.

(Yep, I know, all of this "depends" - just looking for a generic starting point that's reasonably smart for a totally beginner side project. Like: if you were to sell a "starter kit" with scale wood and a pin and whatnot, for beginning razor-makers - what chunk of steel would you put in it?)

2. kn4wd

Jan 20, 2014
    use the 01 try aldo Bruno the nj steel baron I get my knife steel from him