Where's lt632ret?

Yes Phil I do have several of the scrim issues of the prisons as well as the dies used to make them I also have several of the non scrim ones. I even have some proto types numbered 000 I pulled some out however at this point some stuff is at the exhibit and I just grabbed what was handy. Note the two sheath knives one is a Schrade PH-1 and the other is a Canal street cut which was commissioned after the closing. Note the etch. Phil once again do you need the little toothpick and tweezers that goes in the back of the 97 OT I thought a while back you were looking for them? Please advise in an email or whatever. I pulled duty at many of the institutions that issued these knives.

Please excuse my being politically incorrect in my remarks about various people with alternate life styles such as faggots ect I tend to forget sometimes that freedom of speech is limited by what is in vogue. To each his own, it is just that values and language change it used to be that being gay ment being happy and the term throw another faggot on the fire ment to put a log in the fireplace.

Regarding the gaffer I have related this story a while ago but perhapes it is worth repeating. This knife came about when Albert Baer was Tarpon fishing with Ted William in Florida. They were old friends and knew each other for many years through both of there affialiations with SEARS. Williams of course was the represenative for the Sears sporting goods line. While fishing together one day, Williams gaffed a tarpon with a gaffer knife ( these were sold by various companies I have included a few in the attached pics ). This lead to a conversation about why Schrade ( or Ulster ) did not produce such a knife. One of the problems was having a third backspring on the knife however Baer was already producing such a fishing knife ( with a third backspring ). Only the spring sported a fold up beer can opener which originally was a model produced by imperial. Upon return from the trip Baer called a friend of mine into his office explained what he wanted and told him to make it. It was interesting to hear from the fellow who actually designed and built the proto type just how he did it the spring he used ( and reshaped for the original gaff hook ect. ). These were marketed by sears with an Ulster tang and a JC Higgins etch. A few were also made with Schrade markings. The included pic has all of the variations that I know of having been made. The life of the production of these knives was quite short lived for several reasons. First Gaffers are illegal ( for the most part ) except in salt water. Next they look awkward and did not have the svelt lines of there counterpart ( the two bladed version). Also they were tricky to polish during production often the gaff would snag while being polished and instead of a tarpon the person working on the knife would would get caught instead of a fish. Because of these factors these knives are among the rarest pattern produced by Ulster and or Schrade. There may have been a version made for other large chain stores but, I cannot at this point confirm it. I have only seen one with the Schrade marking and I own it.

As far as falling while doing the tarp strangely as I was falling and thought that this might be my moment of release from mortal bonds, the thing going through my mind was the line from the old song ( The answer my friend is blowing in the wind).

Regarding the movie it's a wonderful life I remember looking forward to it all the years when I had a family. Now however my feelings have changed the fact is I would like to punch the angel Clarence in the nose and stuff the JU JU petals up his nose. The only characters I like are the bartender and the mean guy Mr Potter. They are the only ones who really understand what the world is about and chances are would in reality be the only ones who had any chance of ever being able to retire. Jimmy Stewart should have taken his trip when he was young enough to enjoy the pleasures of a south sea island where the people run around half dressed. Donna Reed probably would have been a good spinster and smarter since she would have had more time to read in the library she would have worked at. At least she would have had a job which she never did in the movie. I liked the girl who played the loose woman who liked Jimmy stewart . I think I knew the druggist when he did time. I liked the pool under the basketball concept and understand why no one could afford a new home since a school in those days with a gym and pool like that must have made the taxes outrageous. No wonder Mr Potter was a creep and so ticked off he probably had to fund most of it since he was the only one in town with any money. Mostly though at this point in my life I identify with the Uncle who lost the money and could not remember anything now that is my kind of guy. Just ruin everyone with stupidity and then say golly I am so sorry. All this being said thankyou for your suggestion which I realize was offered with the best intentions however I believe that rather than watching that movie I would prefer to dig my thanksgiving turkey out of the garbage and eat it again. Excuse me I am going out to lasso the moon and then make a noose from the loose end. FA LA LA. LT

Good stuff, Lt! And great photos of classic knives.

Okay, those gaff knives have broken open the rusty vault of my memory cells. My Dad gave me one, many years ago, just like that red-handled one. It was the coolest knife my friends and I had ever seen. Dad found it in a pawn shop, and bought it for me, as he often did....a habit that I most enjoyed. But, as often happens with boys' possessions, they go south. (could be that it got swiped by a "friend" when I wasn't looking). I sure wish I still had that one. BTW, I did use it several times, landing spiny rockfish out of the briny Pacific. I seem to remember that it stood up to the saltwater sort of okay...must have been a stainless steel of some sort. The curved handle made it quite secure....and I think I put a cord thong on it as well. (this is going back 40+ years in my memory bank!)

I have a question about your first photo....that non-knife thing that looks like it could start fires...is that what it is, and what's it called? "Bow drill" or something like that? I seem to remember seeing something like that in one of my old campcraft books.

Edited to add: Oh, and my Dad told me that one about being "crazy, not stupid". It's a good one, that I've remembered a long time!

Yes I can see how you might mistake its purpose actually it is one of the first attempts by George Schrade to make an automatic tool which could be used to inlet knives for shields a task which up till then was done by hand ( with believe it or not two pointed steel rods and a thread spool the spool allowed the use of the two rods in conjunction ( somewhat like chopsticks ) or like a compass this allowed an even on both sides cut. Man this is a tough one to explain anyway the tool on the picture was used almost as a router it had a steel wheel in the middle to stabilize it when spinning and the wood piece ( handle) was for controling direction ect. It was one of the original attempts G Schrade made to solve this production problem. Albert Baer accquired it and gave it to an emplyee who was with the firm for many years and did this type of work ( with modern machinery) as a special gift. He the employee, sold it to an antique dealer. I had seen it years ago and then ran accross it at the antique dealers who was in the Sullivan county area where the employee had lived. The dealer did not know what it was however he knew of me so when he saw my interest he jacked the price and I like an idiot just paid the money and left. Oh well I can make more money but I believe this artifact is pretty rare and now it is safe. At least for a while. I bet you are sorry you asked you know I can answer almost any question no msatter how simple in 5000 words or less. LT

LT,
You have, in poker jargon, come back "Steaming"...and you haven't lost a hand here in ages. :D

I'm crackin' up here :) , please keep the stories and information coming, sir. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bill

Lt; In the first picture of the gaff knives, top center of the bottom section, there is a black handled, rectangular blade knife. What is this knife? It looks like it would be very handy on my leather bench, and I was wondering if it had some application with fishing. Thanks.

Paul

Why yes indeedy it is a fish cleaning knife that is amazing for how well it works Case, Kabar, and someone else??? I forget ( perhapes Remington) had them I am sure you have a reference on Case you can look it up in there. I had a Ka-Bar and a Case a friend came over and had to have it so I gave him the Case version, They are one of the best fish cleaning patterns ever produced. My friend has the case one I gave himn that is around 60 years old and it is his favorite fish knife. Frankly I would rather have him using it than hanging it on a wall like the one in the picture. They came with a really weird sheath which also was kind of neat I have one around here somewhere. However finding it will have to be an accident can you believe I lost a spool of airplane cable wire the other day it just turned up. Right where I put it so that I would not forget it. As I have said in the past it is not Alzheimer at this point it is more like Halfheimer. LT

Back