1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Which 2 knives would be the best edc combination?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JDX, Sep 3, 2014.

1. JDX

JDX

Mar 2, 2014
    I'm looking to spend $80.

I've been looking at the kershaw blur (sandvik 14c28n), kershaw skyline, kershaw cryo, ontario rat 1+2, ontario Utilitac 2, CRKT shenanigan, kershaw CQC-6K(Emerson), cold steel american lawman, cold steel recon 1 (spear tip), kabar dozier and the buck 110.

Now my hardest problem is finding two knives that aren't basically the same knife or to be used for the same purpose. I want more versatility. As of now, I own a spyderco resilience, which is good but the blade is a little over 4 inches so I can't legally use it in public. So to break it down, I'm looking for a knife with a 3.5 inch blade give or take, and a smaller blade. Either 3" or 2.75".

And I know I included a lot of kershaws, but is prefer a blade material other than 8cr13mov.

2. Mingecutter

Mingecutter Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2011
    If you're looking for versatility in blades and wish to carry two (a main blade and a backup), I'd like to suggest the following:

Full size folder (out of your choices above -- Blur, Recon 1, or Lawman)

and

Alox SAK Cadet -- perfect for back pocket/backup duty. Nice lightweight, slim package of extremely useful EDC tools

Good luck in your choice!

3. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    Gonna sort of echo Mingecutter and say Spyderco Delica and the sak of your choice. Super Tinker would be a good choice but their are many to choose from.

Jim

4. No Agenda

No Agenda

Jun 20, 2014
    One should be a Cadet for sure! The Cadet is a lot of versatility in a small easy to carry package.

5. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Recon 1 and Rat 2. Since you have $80 to spend, go ahead and (I can't believe I'm saying this....) throw in a nice alox SAK. Your choice. Done aaaaand done. Easy peasy.

6. wtlj

wtlj

Jun 30, 2014
    Visitor message sent

7. JDX

JDX

Mar 2, 2014
    The CS recon 1 is around $55 and the rat 1 is $25. No room for a sak!

8. JDX

JDX

Mar 2, 2014
    The CS recon 1 is around $55 and the rat 1 is $25. No room for a sak!

9. AntDog

Apr 3, 2001
    Gotta shop around.... I found the Recon 1 for $42, and the Rat 2 for $25, which leaves $13 to go toward a Victorinox Tinker (you would have to chip in an additional 3 dollars).

10. JDX

JDX

Mar 2, 2014
    Guess I'll look around! Thanks

11. AntDog

Apr 3, 2001
    Not a problem. Good luck!

12. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Well, since we have no idea what you do with your knives all day, I'm going to say an Opinel mushroom knife and a fleam.

13. Heathrow

Heathrow

Nov 3, 2012
    The most used folder I have is the Boker Chad Los Banos Wharcom - it is very cheap, super compact and fits in the jeans "condom pocket". This means it is undetectable and so light and tiny that you never notice it's there till you need it. The steel is soft, but very very quick to get a paper push cut sharpness. The wharncliffe blade shape is very useful for most everyday tasks.

http://www.pivotandtang.com/#/bokerwharcom/

Couple that with any Victorinox, or a Spyderco Native, in G10.

14. KingMC

KingMC The Pun-isher Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    The Delica is definitely a great knife.

If the OP gets a RAT 1 to go with the Delica, you have a big heavy folder and a small light folder, if you're looking to just have two blades. If you want more usefullness, a SAK is a good investment.

15. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Smatchet and a shotgun. :thumbup:

16. fuzzynuk

fuzzynuk

Jul 17, 2014
    After seeing everybody mention a smatchet I finally looked it up and I must agree..that WOULD cover all your bases! :)