Which Buck for Dad?

My Father's 50th birthday is around the corner and I want to get him something special. He loves Buck knives and is never without his trusty old 112. Over the years I've seen him admire various LE fixed blade Bucks, but he would never buy one. He would never spend the money on himself. He's just finished off a den (man cave) and I know he would like a nice mantle piece...

My Pops has a fondness for silver as opposed to brass. That in mind, I've narrowed it down to a Bone handle 119 or a 124 with the black micarta. Both are gorgeous. While I'm sure he will be excited either way, I'm having a hard time deciding. So I thought I'd ask the Buck Fans here which they would prefer.

Your father will be happy with the knives you are looking at. The bone 119's were put out a few years ago for Bass Pro Shop and you will have to hunt to find one. Buck has the 124 you are looking at in the current catalog and will be easy to find. If you look at the on line auction sites you can find a stag 124 that was a catalog LE a few years ago and would look fantastic in your Dads man cave!

jb4570

Lots of good options on the web if you look around.

Could also get him a BCCI life membership (was $125 IIRC), not sure if they are still doing it but you used to get a very nice 532 with the life deal. Plus, he'll have the perks and fun of being in the BCCI.

My Father's 50th birthday is around the corner and I want to get him something special. He loves Buck knives and is never without his trusty old 112. Over the years I've seen him admire various LE fixed blade Bucks, but he would never buy one. He would never spend the money on himself. He's just finished off a den (man cave) and I know he would like a nice mantle piece...

My Pops has a fondness for silver as opposed to brass. That in mind, I've narrowed it down to a Bone handle 119 or a 124 with the black micarta. Both are gorgeous. While I'm sure he will be excited either way, I'm having a hard time deciding. So I thought I'd ask the Buck Fans here which they would prefer.

A BCCI lifetime membership would give your dad two Buck knives at wholesale price each year.....about 50% off. Its a great lifetime deal after you join.

You can get either the 119 bone online at the dealer listed above, or the 124 online from many online knife stores. I know I have found both and they can be had very easy. I vote for the 124, super knife!

So many choices.... Browse the picture thread, and the Sunday Picture Show threads!! Let him choose!

well my questions are
does he use all his knives
will he want to use the knife you give him or
will he most likely put it up as a prized item
a 124 does not have a lot of usefull uses other then camp knife but makes a heck of a show off knife
a 120 in any dress is a great knife as is a 119
and don't forget a new 112 or 110 in bone for every day use would be nice !

If you really want special, get the bone handle and get with Dave Martin here on the Buck Forum. His wife Leesa can scrimshaw any picture you want on it. Excellent work.

110 Dave has offered some nice selections.
I'd like to add the 103 to that list. Very useful, and gorgeous in all variations.

Let me suggest folks be very careful in offering knives for sale, there are specific forum rules that will be followed. Read the differences between membership levels. This is a 'friendly' moderator warning. 300Bucks

Let me suggest folks be very careful in offering knives for sale, there are specific forum rules that will be followed. Read the differences between membership levels. This is a 'friendly' moderator warning. 300Bucks

My bad. Didn't even think about that. Thx for the heads-up

That 124 with micarta handle would be a sweet knife to give any buck fan,if he hunts,even more so!

The 124 is a lot of knife IMHO, with that being said if it's just for admiration, then it might be a winner, seeing as a 124 is something to behold, (nothing wrong with a large blade, it'd make a grand camp knife) the 119 would be a fine choice as well, and something I could see it being useful to just about anybody. The point is pretty delicate, but it's not a Heavy Duty knife, but a hunting knife as we all know. I'd also suggest taking a look at the 103, or 113, both for those would make excellent, serviceable knives.

Back