1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 17 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KaBar Becker BK 15 Mini Camp!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK 15, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Apil 27; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? Which Case CV Slimline trapper should I get

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Corso, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
    Trying to decide which current production CV slimline trapper to get.

I'm torn between a Yellow Bearhead Trapper and a one in Dark Red bone.

I prefer the look of the Bearhead, but having has a SS Synthetic version I found it a bit too light in the hand

I'm wondering if the Dark red bone version is a bit heavier and whether the jigging gives it any better grip

2. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Word of caution about their Red Bone cv knives, the 'Red' is all too often closer to a light colour even Strawberry pink.....:eek: You might well have to dye it...

Bone tends to be heavier than Delrin, it might be more grippy but never had a problem with the Yellow delrin ones.

I actually prefer stainless for these knives as my make excellent picnic or food knives

Corso and Frailer like this.
  3. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead

Nov 6, 2017
    Ive only ever had a yellow delrin one in stainless, so I dont have an answer for you. I like mine, and I like the light feel of it. If you want a heavier knife, theres an app for that, just get the standard trapper.

Eli Chaps, Corso and WolfyW like this.
  4. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    I have both, I like them both, I prefer the bone handled one. The bone on mine is fairly dark red and it goes well with the patina it has developed. I’ve never weighed them but I’m pretty confident the bonehandled one is heavier since it’s not a bare head model. The bone probably is a little grippier. Both are great knives.

Corso likes this.
  5. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
    Thanks for all the comments

I plan to dye both which ever I get :D - if I get the bone it'll be going darker Red, the Delrin will be Tangerine Orange as i'm not a fan of the Yellow

If they made a single blade in CV I'd probably look closer at them

This is just what I wanted to hear

CVamberbonehead likes this.
  6. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    They do make a single blade CV barehead delrin.. I have one..:D
    John

JohnDF likes this.
  7. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
    realy whats the CA code?

8. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    I certainly liked this recent buy, Pocketworn Old Red Bone (some tea dye too) in stainless. Great F&F on this knife, nothing to remark on:cool:

[​IMG]

Reitwagen, jmh33, Grateful and 5 others like this.
  9. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007

hmmm that could steer me back towards a stainless version

Will Power likes this.
  10. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
    And it indeed has - this is now on order

yours does look a richer colour than the online pics I've see can you give us a bit more detail regarding the tea dye

11. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
  12. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
    Thanks I understand it won't be as grippy but it won't be less grippy than the yellow delrin

and it looks stunning :D

13. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Important to degrease it before dyeing, use alcohol and don't touch the knife with hand(use gloves or paper) Brew up VERY strong Tea British/Irish style using black tea. 4 teabags in a small saucepan and only enough water-boiling-to cover the bags, add pinch of salt. Once cooled a bit, not boiling but still very hot, lower the knife in-rest it on 2 bags, place the other two over it to cover. Leave a few hours or overnight. Then wash with dishwashing soap under the tap. Don't be alarmed if the bone has bloated or a load of black crap comes out. Dry slowly on a towel do not use direct heat, radiator, blow lamp...etc The bone get's back to shape in a short while, wipe down with mineral or coconut oil. Done!

14. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    Yes, I have swaybacks in both old red SS and dark red CV. They each have their distinctive characteristics and both are beautiful. Good choice!