1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Which Classical Bowie Knife can you recommand?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Knifelvr97, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Knifelvr97

Knifelvr97

Aug 18, 2020
    Hi, I want to buy a classical Bowie Knife and I wonder what you guys can recommand me. I already have such typical survival blades like the SRK or Kabar BKs and they are very tactical. I am now searching for something more in the style of a Buck 119 but bigger (and bigger as the 120;)) I really like clip points btw. I am curious to hear your suggestions, and have a nice day!

2. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    Id track down a Western W-49

Ebbtide and Knifelvr97 like this.
  3. E.D.C.

E.D.C. Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Case bowie.

4. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    You didn't mention price range, but a Bill Bagwell Bowie is larger with a clip point. Can hardly get more classic.

ch46 and GIRLYmann like this.
  5. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2000
    Find a Musso Bowie reproduction. It’s big, possibly historically correct, and bad azz in design :)

Richard338 and Lee D like this.
  6. Man with no name

Man with no name

Jun 24, 2015
    Cold Steel's Laredo or Natchez Bowe!

Triton and E.D.C. like this.
  7. tltt

tltt

May 1, 2008
    It depends on how traditional you want to go. It's actually kinda hard to find a modern knife widely produced that is close to the mid 1800's design -

The Western W-49 and the Ontario Marine Raider are really nice, based on the Collins #18 design that goes back to about the last quarter of the 19th century in various guises.

Cold Steel is a good choice. The Laredo, Recon Scout, and Trailmaster are close to some 1800's designs (forgiving the Kraton handle on the latter two). The Natchez is a fun choice, if a bit off historically.

A dark horse is the Cold Steel line up is the Rifleman's knife, based on the 1849 Ames. It's a big knife, and a long spear point isn't for everyone, but it's a great copy of an old pattern. I was impressed with it.

Lee D and Knifelvr97 like this.
  8. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Buck 124

9. riversidedep

riversidedep Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 27, 2007
    If by "classical" you mean historically correct, good luck finding anything. Your best bet would be to do some research and then hire a custom maker.

When I think "classical" bowie, I think of the Randall Made Knives Thorpe or Smithsonian bowies.

10. jideta

jideta Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2020
    I went Solingen

Knifelvr97 likes this.
  11. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    This! Not a huge fan of the Natchez, but LOVE the Laredo!

12. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    C.S. Trailmaster. The old ones in CarbonV are tanks.--

13. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    Bark River, Shining Mountain Bowie. Not 100% historically accurate, maybe, but a classic Bowie style. And better steel then anything they had in 1840...

Lee D and Knifelvr97 like this.
  14. Knifelvr97

Knifelvr97

Aug 18, 2020
    Thanks for all your suggetions! About the price I was thinking about 350max. The Cold Steel Bowies that were mentionned are nice, no doubt about that but don't you think that with such a traditional knife a leather sheath would look far better? I mean I like the sheath's of CS with their tactical line up but a historical Bowie deserves leather.

15. jideta

jideta Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2020
    Puma Bowie
    older vintage

jfk1110 likes this.
  16. shortwinger

shortwinger Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2010
    49C9553C-1A91-4717-B0C7-78D83F502C93.jpeg Cold Steel Laredo Bowie with leather sheath.

Puma and Linder also off many different models of traditional Bowie’s with wood or stag handles and leather sheaths.

17. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Custom.

Lee D likes this.
  18. Knifelvr97

Knifelvr97

Aug 18, 2020
    Damn that's a nice one!

19. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    Knifelvr97 likes this.
  20. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    Another vote for the W49.
    Bob the guard, thin the handle and make it your own.

I had the Recon Scout as well.
    That's gone and the W49 is here to stay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The W46-8 is no slouch either. Less old timey traditional though.

Both of these were bought in a state of disrepair for under $80 each.
    Time and elbow grease did the rest.