Which Crawford...KFF or Carnivore??

RL

Hi All,

I would like to add a Crawford to my collection...I am torn between the KFF and Carnivore...which would you recommend and why? Also, what do you think of Crawford's version of the rolling lock? I have read about some problems with REKAT's implementation of the lock (e.g. gritty, slow to open, fails after several uses etc.) on BF and in Tactical Knives...I would assume that Crawford's version is of higher quality...would you risk it?? Incidentally, would anyone happen to have a scan of the rolling lock mechanism?

Thanks,
RL

Although you could obtain a very economical CRKT KFF, the custom KFF is outstanding. IMHO, everyone should have at least one in their collection. Check out my avatar, it's a Ti handled, Devin Thomas bladed KFF. I would personally carry a Ti bolstered, micarta handled version, if you wanted to buy one for everyday carry.

The Carnivor's execution is better as a custom, and the Rolling Lock is much smoother coming from Crawford's shop as opposed to REKAT's. The REKAT version is very good, and I would personally save some money and buy the production version.

In a nutshell, go with the custion KFF, you will not regret it!!

i agree with WIRE EDGE....KFF is the ONLY way to go..it is his "classic" folder and his best known piece!

I have the REKAT Carnivor. It is definitely gritty and slow to open. I was told if one opens and closes it several hundred times, it will smooth up. I have opened and closed mine quite a bit so far, but I didn't keep count. So far it hasn't smoothed up.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I have examined the KFF and it was the smoothest folder I have ever handled...I have not handled the Carnivore yet...

W.T....thanks...that's what I was afraid of...I am quite sure the custom version will be more smooth but my aversion to stiff locks is quite strong...I guess it will be really important to handle before buying in this case! Incidentally, I have a question about the rolling lock...is it possible to hold the button and flick the blade open or closed (a la Axis lock)??

Thanks,
RL

I have both. :D The Carnivore feels better in the hand to me. Mine is also very, very smooth. I like it better, but if I were looking for one to add to a collection it would be the KFF because that is a classic design. It is Crawford's most known folder as well.

Hello RL,

I have yet to own an axis lock so I am not familiar with how they work. The REKAT Carnivor has a sliding button on the side that is used to unlock the blade for closing. I can slide the button down and open the knife, and it does open a bit more smoothly in that case. However, this requires two hands so I don't see any point to doing it that way.

You can slide the lock release button back, and then give the knife a little flick to open it. This can be done easily with one hand, once you are familar with the knife. I find it more easily accomplished than with the Axis, the release location is a little more handy on the REKAT. I don't personally open my Carnivore this way, but I have done it, and I know first hand it will work for you too.

Tan, the micarta model has a "warmer" feel. I also find that it has a more tactile grip than the titanium. The titanium model is very nice aesthetically, but for everyday carry, I would buy the micarta handled, titanium bolstered model.

I would go with the KFF, I also have had both and while the Carnivore is one of my favorite overall designs, the KFF is as smooth as it gets and very comfortable in the hand.

Depending on your intended use you really can't go wrong either way. They are two completely different knives...

I would choose micarta over all Ti because I think it adds a little bit to the overall girth of the KFF and is more comfortable in my hand. YMMV

Good luck :)

Originally posted by cpirtle
I would go with the KFF, I also have had both and while the Carnivore is one of my favorite overall designs, the KFF is as smooth as it gets and very comfortable in the hand.

Thanks...it's great to hear from a dual owner! How smooth is the Carnivore in comparison?

Originally posted by cpirtle

Depending on your intended use you really can't go wrong either way. They are two completely different knives...

Fair enough...what is the most suitable "intended use" for the KFF what is the most suitable "intended use" for the Carnivore?? In other words, where would you say each of these knives excel??

Thanks,
RL

IMO The Carni does not really compare to the KFF in smoothness. As customs go, the Carni was the least smooth and the KFF is the smoothest, amongst others. Once you hit a certain point smooth is smooth, if you know what I mean.

I buy knives I like, not really what they're made for. I think most of use here like a knife to carry and use it for whatever we come up against that needs cut.

Both of these knives are designed to be fighting knives. The KFF is a little more intimidating than the Carni but not by much, so if you'll be using it around others that you may freak out I would go Carni if it was my only choice.

The Carni also will ride a little nicer in your pocket for EDC becuase it's not as wide. I'm a big guy so the KFF rides fine for me.

Lock wise, I think the rolling lock rocks. But if you get a good liner it will do 99.9% of everything the rolling lock will do.

Confused yet? I would say buy the one that you think suits you best.

I only have the KFF now because I like it better... YMMV

I can blabber on about what I think but I think you would apprecaite "action speak louder than words"..

One of the first knives I bought was a REKAT Carnie.. I saw it on the cover of Tac Knives and FELL in love. I htnak rian at Discount Knives cause I returned 2 carnies to him before I settled for the third, I have it now and had Jerry a knife maker friend of mine polish the edge :). Yes it is very VERY gritty and if you paid me 4.00/hour to SMOOTH the Rolling Lock for you the total cost of my knfie now would prolly be in the hundreds and hundreds

:rolleyes:

(I have aso had a few crkt KFF's and given them away.. it's an AWESOME translation)

the first customs I got were a custom Carnivore and custom KFF with black micarta and ti bolsters.
cpritle is right they're both designed as fighting knives.. neighter one is "better" per se.. I htink of the carni as the KFF's and Wortac's love child :)... I bought an all micarta wortac btw. Keep in mind tat the KFF takes a lot of real estate in yrou pocket.

the kff LOCKS in your hand and is very comfortable.. the grip on the carnivore is more "relaxed" though.. and as you can guess the wortac is the "most relaxed" or loose. (figuratively speaking.. they are ALL very ergo.)

what happened? I traded off my Wortac. dunno why I am fickle and like to buy and let go of knives. then what? I traded my carnivore.. I am a big carnivire fan but for me I liked my rekat better. the rolling lock on the custom was very gritty.. the blade was awesome high polished and HIGH HIGH DEEP DEEP hollow ground. however it lacked the "blade mass" in my opinion to open smoothly (the light blade coupled with the tough rollign lock).

Pat Crawford is a nice guy and sometimes I wish he was my grandfather :) looked up to him when I was a kid and still do now. I didnt have the heart to ask him if he made the rolling lock on his own for hs cutoms or if they were the same as the rekats.. I suspect that the crawford custom RL comes from REKAT. Ofcourse theres nothign wrong with that in my opinion, and I WELCOME anyone to correct me.

My first carni took a lot out of me I dont think I could loosen my custom :p

the KFF bolstered? it was a great knife and I htought I woudl hang onto it forever.. until one day I bought a Ti KFF with satin handle and satin blade. I am practical. I didnt need two KFF's. So I traded the bolstered one.. it was bulky heavy and weighed you down in the pocket..

so what now? I got an all satin KFF.. I hope to meet Crawford in Vegas so he can make me a combat Wortac.. and before he retires I want a full dress wortac :). THe man's got style.. dont waste time with white micarta when you can get Ivory.

every folder fan MUST have a KFF in his or her lifetime.. is all there is to it. Hope this helps.. you can go naptime now :)

Thanks...awesome post!

You make a very interesting point about the "blade mass" vs. the tough lock...I never thought of that!

BTW, I would be very disappointed if Crawford used REKAT parts!

It looks as if the consensus is to get the KFF over the "gritty" Carnivore. Ok..I hear you guys...as for Ti vs. Micarta...in general, I really like the feel of Micarta and the "look" of bolsters but in this case I do like the Titanium version as well...my only concern is that Ti scratches very easily...even though I always keep my "knife pocket" empty (so I don't scratch my knife or impede withdrawal...I'd hate to respond to a BG with a stick of gum!!) it is impossible to avoid banging my knife into something once in a while.

Incidentally, I did handle the Wortac as well...I liked it but I prefer the KFF. As a complete aside, does anyone have impressions of the Perfigo??

Thanks,
RL

always glad to help.. I hope I don't sound like I am bragging - just got excited.. lots of overtime went into those knives in college :p

BTW when I said dress wortac I meant dress KFF! :D

mass of blade: it was my opinion mainly it was harder to really get the custom open and close open and close as opposed to the production rekat.. something to consider.

Rekat parts: I fear it too, I am not accusing him btw just my assumption - it could be the nature of the design.

bolsters: the model 2 KFF seemed rather blocky to me which is what turned me off. Its chamfered well on the edges but after seeing the full dress KFF with sculpted bolsters and ivory it made the model 2 look criminal.

ti scratches: well I dunno how long you have been collecting but I think there is a faq somewhere that explains the evolvement of knife collecting.. somewhere along the line you just get old and bitter and want to USE your customs and instead f amassing lots of knives want to stick with what you like and want to use.. I hope you make your KFF a USER, and trust me the first scratch is the hardest but after that the knife will take care of you :). I don't consider scratching an issue really.. I either put the knife in my pocket or I don't. :p the KFF admittedly was the FIRST custom knife I ever wanted and I think this was more "sincere" since back then I identified it for the right qualities.. I didnt care about hype or investment (or was too dumb to).

that being said I was turned off by the micarta because it looked exactly like the CRKT version. THe Ti is really more pocket friendly and grip friendly too. It's cold in the hand yes.. if youre in that thing.. unlike STEEL handled folders though it seems to warm up faster. I had an all steel spyderco police which was just frigid like a vengeful woman :) the holes add LOT of grip too mind you.. very good for griup changes as well (hah.. tactical lingo :p pffft!)

killer knife: it seems you (like many of us do, ME ESPECIALLY) think of the qualities and the "textbook" function of a knife.. although the term "a fighting knife is what you have in yoru hand in the moment the sht hits the fan" (ohh tired of that phrase) comes to mind, I think that what it boils down to is what feels good in the hand and what you think is BLOODY COOL. Why be witha superiorly functional knife if you cant stand being with it (or.. hush.. posing with it ^_^), that being said the KFF seems (from experience) the most intimidating - and the most comfortable.. sure it doesn't have the skull crusher or all the added functions... but hey Kasper is da man :)

perfigo: in the 01 blade show I chased down Mr. Crawford like a groupie to talk and he showed me the proto perfigo. I honestly told him I didnt like it.. FIRST in looks, as well as fit in my diminutive hands. Make no mistake I swear by Kasper but I think the first designs are always the best.

Be SURE to let us know what you get.. just for your info the aftermarket prices on KFF's are rather reasonable.. if you are not sure the CRKT ones are damn identical to the customs.

Hi All,

Thanks again for your comments....

I have made my decision...based on further research as well as email exchanges and a lengthy conversation with Pat, I have decided to do a complete 180 and order...a WORTAC!!!:D :D :D

I just put in my order for a large Wortac with hand-rubbed satin finish BG-42 blade, micarta scales, and engine-turned titanium bolsters. :D

RL

Back