Which Fallkniven do I spend way too much on?

A1 Pro or A1xb

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey guys, new here. I was debating on where to post this, but I finally decided here. I am for sure, without a doubt, nothing going to stop me wasting hundreds of dollars on a Fallkniven A1 knife. It’s something I promised myself I would do when I was able, and now I’m able. The problem I’m having is which A1. I’ve narrowed it down to 2. The A1 Pro premium package has been reviewed a decent amount with a lot of information about it. It comes with a waterproof box, a DC4 sharpener, and has a lifetime warranty as opposed to the normal 10 year warranty. However, more recently a version of the A1 has come out called the A1xb. This one is coated with tungsten carbide. Apparently the only way to get it off is to grind it off. This puts the HRC up into the 80’s. I don’t even kind of care if this is overkill. UNLESS, there’s something about the effects I don’t understand. The problem with choosing here is no one I can find has reviewed the A1xb. There is like one YouTube video where the guy describes its appearance and that’s it. I actually emailed Peter at Fallkniven about it, he said the A1xb is technically better, because every new knife they put out has to be better than its predecessor. The two key features being mainly the never before seen/used tungsten carbide coating, and apparently a very very nice sheath that they spent a year designing and re designing, due to some problems people had with the A1 Pro’s sheath. Now I think they’re both great knives. But A shortage of great knives isn’t the reason I’m looking to buy one. Of those I have plenty, and they make me very happy. But I’m talking about spending over $400 on a knife I don’t need here, just because I said I would. So I really need to make sure I get the right one. Does ANYONE here have anything more they can tell me about the A1xb? Or something I should know about the A1 Pro premium package? I know the issue with the handle was worked out years ago. Anything at all. Things that may be good or bad about it, personal experiences, anything. I am desperate to put myself at ease. Thank you for your time.

P.s. Does anyone have any advice on which of their sharpeners I should purchase with it? Or sharpeners in general? I am always open to news s better options.

Maybe it's just me, but i would never buy a knife with a convex ground blade that has also been coated.
The reason being that provided you intend to use the knife and want to maintain it's cutting ability the knife has to be resharpened correctly once in a while, which means sharpening the entire convex bevels.
With the A1xb this will remove the coating, at the very least from the convex part of the blade.

Now applying just a microbevel would save the coating for the time being (but diminish the cutting ability at the same time), and given enough use there will still come a time that the original geometry has to be established again by resharpening the entire convex bevels.

The A1Pro of course doesn't have that problem.

BTW, this is how i sharpen one of these: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sharpening-on-wet-dry-sic-paper.1709626/

Oh wow, I had just about given up on anyone seeing this. Went to general discussion to ask if I was posting in the wrong place haha. It kept bring up your message and I couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t showing up in the other discussion.
Anyway thank you. That information really helps me. Now just to be clear, that tungsten coating will for sure come off? I had mentioned an email with Peter, and in it he had essentially said they had tried everything to get it off over the last year of testing, and it wouldn’t. Do you think it’s just marketing?

Here I’ll just copy and paste what he said about it instead of sounding like a knife mute:

“The A1pro and the A1x are cousins! Both have the same father (i.e. me) but the x version is the newest and, of course, it should be the best. The reason is simple - we will never develop a product which is less good than the earlier versions. But the differences are small so, I would say that the FUNCTION of the A1pro and A1x is just the same.

The tungsten surface is new to the world, unlike the Ceracoat black surface you cannot wear it off. You need to GRIND it off to get rid of it so, normal wear and tear will have almost no effect on an A1xb. At least we have NOT been able to wear it off though we have tried very hard.

The really big difference between the A1pro and A1x is the X sheath. It is neat, smart, strong and safe, everything you can ask for. The sheath might be a very good reason why we have had a very good sale start of the X Series. It took us a year to develop the sheath but it was worth the money.

A reason why the X series is a little cheaper compared to the Pro knives is that we have been able to pick home a part of the manufacturing to our country. Since the Swedish currency is a very weak currency, this has resulted in a fairly attractive price - outside Sweden. Inside Sweden, this series is very expensive!”

I looked at the specs and a overview on Youtube and a couple of things made up my mind. Both are great knives and both have a COATING. I personally dont care for black blades. I dont need a non reflective blade. BUT.. a coating is going to wear, period, and how fast it wears is the difference. Even at 80+ HRC the coating will last a lot longer but eventually will wear with use. That being said, I like the gray looks much more and beyond that, the tang and grip. the X has changable grips instead of the molded on rubber/Zytel material. I love the grip on my F1 but thought, "wonder how this would look in coco bola wood" or...... I like the full tang look better and the pommel shape better. So thats why I voted A1xb. My opinion and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee, but.....

I stand corrected, there's a pic of the A1 that showed a DLC type coating, that was what I saw. I guess the A1 can be had with or without coating.

Thank you both, I had figured I’d somehow posted in the wrong place and was doomed to be ignored in Forum wasteland. I actually made a post in general discussion inquiring about that, and inadvertently ended up getting a lot of information about my dilemma there too. I do kind of feel like a double posting clown. Thank you both, I genuinely appreciate your advice. I am definitely still stuck though. Both knives are so great, and just about as different as they could be and still be the same knife. The coating is really weird for me. I’m not sure I quite understand it.

I know which one I'd buy , so i'm biased. My final thoughts are: the tungsten coating is different looking than any other knife I have and being able to switch the scales if I want REALLY appeals to me. I like the exposed full tang and glass breaker type of pommel. The A1Pro is a bad ass knife no doubt, but the X is more distinctly different and than other Faulkniven's .

As I mentioned earlier, I own a F1 and love the feel, balance and steel of these knives. You're gonna love either one.

I have no experience with a coated Fallkniven blade, but I have lots with coated Busse family knives. A satin, tumbled, bead blasted, etc. finish is almost always preferred unless there is a stain resistance issue. Even if that was the case with a Fallkniven knife (and it is not), IMHO, you don't need the coating on any Fallkniven blade. It may never come off the blade, but that is different than it will never show wear. And I doubt it makes the blade a better cutter than the identical uncoated blade. If anything, it may make it more difficult to cut through something.

As far as the A1 X or Pro goes, I have never heard of anyone needing a full tang A1 to do something that would destroy the regular A1 or A1 Pro. The full tang makes it heavier overall, though it does move the balance point back so you might not really notice that extra weight. To me, the main advantage of the X is that you can put your own scales on it, or have someone make scales for you. But then your cost for the knife is going north of the Pro and you'll probably also need to pay for a new sheath to hold it since it will have new scales. Having unique scales on it sounds cool, but few people actually follow through with a project like that. Also, and I might be wrong here, I think the spine on the X stands a little proud to the scales, not enough to be uncomfortable, but enough to be noticed in hand.

My $ is on the Pro every day. :thumbsup:

Just a question, do you plan on actually using your knife? If so, I would go with the one which is more comfortable in hand. One of the benefits of the molded rubber-like handle of the pro is that it offers some shock absortion and isolates your hand from the exposed tang.

Given the option, and to be a user, I would definitely still go with the regular A1. Out of your two optiones I would say PRO.

Mikel

Just a question, do you plan on actually using your knife? If so, I would go with the one which is more comfortable in hand. One of the benefits of the molded rubber-like handle of the pro is that it offers some shock absortion and isolates your hand from the exposed tang.

Given the option, and to be a user, I would definitely still go with the regular A1. Out of your two optiones I would say PRO.

Mikel

+1

Also, while I have(and I love) the F1X I must say the A1X is a MASSIVE knife. Just check out the specs on the weight.

Knife without the sheath is 401 g, A1Pro is 363 g and the original A1 is 319 g. Point I'm trying to make is that the original A1 already is a pretty heavy knife..

.... Point I'm trying to make is that the original A1 already is a pretty heavy knife..

And to top it off... while any of the flavours of the A1 are heavy... none of them is long enough to be clasified as a chopper... so there is no benefit in making such a short knife even heavier. You will not get any benefit from it.

Mikel

Reactions: 353
it seems the a1xb cheapest price i found online was $287.97 shipped

is that the best pricing everyone has found?

i hope so...i ordered it!

have no idea what i plan to do with it but i like it

Last edited:
I wouldn't think the tungsten carbide coating would extend to the edge. But it is very hard stuff, used in drill bits, and should last practically forever.

I was a hardcore Fällkniven fan (WAS) and used a regular coated A1 extensively. I also have 5 Fällkniven knives in the household so I have some experience with them. Here's my two cents:

-The Pro is WAY WAAAAY too thick and heavy. If you want "pro", get the S1 Pro, which is in reality a short regular A1 in "pro" version.
-The regular A1 is already very thick and borderline heavy, it's good enough for anything the Pro can do.
-The rubber handle is crap after years. Smell and dirt get in, the rubber degrades and becomes sticky or wears very quickly... and it stinkss. I'd be mad if that happened with a Pro model, considering also how much it costs
-One of the key aspects of all rubber Fällknivens is that they're good in very cold environments... if you get the scales version it wont be as good, and it'll be heavier because the tang is not hidden. That being said if you're not going to use it there , get the version with scales, it will be more durable.
-Cerakote is CRAP... although I see they've since switched to some sort of DLC coating, which is much much better.

I think they're too expensive for the performance, although they're excellent thought out designs (the A1 was my go-to knife for years). Ideally, I'd look for a second hand A1 for a good price, remove the rubber handle and have someone make a new one out of wood / micarta / etc...

If you're still fixed in getting one, my vote goes for the xb

Hey guys, new here. I was debating on where to post this, but I finally decided here. I am for sure, without a doubt, nothing going to stop me wasting hundreds of dollars on a Fallkniven A1 knife. It’s something I promised myself I would do when I was able, and now I’m able. The problem I’m having is which A1. I’ve narrowed it down to 2. The A1 Pro premium package has been reviewed a decent amount with a lot of information about it. It comes with a waterproof box, a DC4 sharpener, and has a lifetime warranty as opposed to the normal 10 year warranty. However, more recently a version of the A1 has come out called the A1xb. This one is coated with tungsten carbide. Apparently the only way to get it off is to grind it off. This puts the HRC up into the 80’s. I don’t even kind of care if this is overkill. UNLESS, there’s something about the effects I don’t understand. The problem with choosing here is no one I can find has reviewed the A1xb. There is like one YouTube video where the guy describes its appearance and that’s it. I actually emailed Peter at Fallkniven about it, he said the A1xb is technically better, because every new knife they put out has to be better than its predecessor. The two key features being mainly the never before seen/used tungsten carbide coating, and apparently a very very nice sheath that they spent a year designing and re designing, due to some problems people had with the A1 Pro’s sheath. Now I think they’re both great knives. But A shortage of great knives isn’t the reason I’m looking to buy one. Of those I have plenty, and they make me very happy. But I’m talking about spending over $400 on a knife I don’t need here, just because I said I would. So I really need to make sure I get the right one. Does ANYONE here have anything more they can tell me about the A1xb? Or something I should know about the A1 Pro premium package? I know the issue with the handle was worked out years ago. Anything at all. Things that may be good or bad about it, personal experiences, anything. I am desperate to put myself at ease. Thank you for your time.

P.s. Does anyone have any advice on which of their sharpeners I should purchase with it? Or sharpeners in general? I am always open to news s better options.
IMHO and over 35 years outdoor experience, plus working with PVD coatings for work at one stage, it's a marketing gimmick the WC coating. I could go a DLC coating and explain why it wouldn't be a gimmick but read up on the WC coating and why it is used in industrial applications. I mean how much can one do to a design which already works? Create essentially the same knife but just put a coating upon it and having to increase the sales price due to an increase in labour costs for balde preparation prior to applying such a coating. We get really hung up about this and it's kind of equivalent to the "road bike" (as in Bicycles) "fads" on what is necessary to win the Tour de France. LOL, as G Bugno once said when asked, he pointed to his legs, not the bike LOL!

IMHO and over 35 years outdoor experience, plus working with PVD coatings for work at one stage, it's a marketing gimmick the WC coating. I could go a DLC coating and explain why it wouldn't be a gimmick but read up on the WC coating and why it is used in industrial applications. I mean how much can one do to a design which already works? Create essentially the same knife but just put a coating upon it and having to increase the sales price due to an increase in labour costs for balde preparation prior to applying such a coating. We get really hung up about this and it's kind of equivalent to the "road bike" (as in Bicycles) "fads" on what is necessary to win the Tour de France. LOL, as G Bugno once said when asked, he pointed to his legs, not the bike LOL!
Really glad I read your post.
I just bought an S1X. I went for no 83 rockwell crazy coating because It would hinder me working through the coating in the long run convex sharpening the knife. Looks cool ? Maybe. Practical ; nope. Cos is already stainless as it is.

Back