1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? Which fix should I do?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Rayray70, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Rayray70

Rayray70

Jan 2, 2019
    Scored this Case XX 316-5 SSP at a pawn shop for $5:
    [​IMG]
    I'm pretty sure it is from 1965-69 from what I can tell. One just sold on eBay for 50 bucks in much better condition with the sheath, so I don't want to spend a bunch to fix it. The stacked leather handle is in bad shape. I have been trying to bring the leather back to life with pure neatsfoot oil, but it is not responding much, if at all. A piece was broken and it fell off, so it's very loose.( was loose before too). So, I can see if Case will replace the handle(for a charge because I'm sure this would not be covered by warranty), OR I have some antlers that I've been wanting to put on a blade. I have also seen guys redo the leather handles and they come out nice, but that looks a little above my pay grade. I need a nudge to cure my indecisiveness:). What would y'all do?

bucketstove, willc and wardcleaver like this.
  2. OldNavy

OldNavy

Sep 14, 2013
    I did a rehab on an old kitchen knife that was a barn find, I got it free. used some scrap Red Oak
    Molding roughed in the shape with a wood rasp & used epoxy & brass rivets. Not super pretty
    but the steel takes a good edge and it's a work horse around the kitchen

before
    [​IMG]

after

[​IMG]

jpm2 and 115Italian like this.
  3. Rayray70

Rayray70

Jan 2, 2019
    Really nice!

4. Rayray70

Rayray70