1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation? Which fix should I do?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Rayray70, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Rayray70

Rayray70

Jan 2, 2019
    Scored this Case XX 316-5 SSP at a pawn shop for $5:
    [​IMG]
    I'm pretty sure it is from 1965-69 from what I can tell. One just sold on eBay for 50 bucks in much better condition with the sheath, so I don't want to spend a bunch to fix it. The stacked leather handle is in bad shape. I have been trying to bring the leather back to life with pure neatsfoot oil, but it is not responding much, if at all. A piece was broken and it fell off, so it's very loose.( was loose before too). So, I can see if Case will replace the handle(for a charge because I'm sure this would not be covered by warranty), OR I have some antlers that I've been wanting to put on a blade. I have also seen guys redo the leather handles and they come out nice, but that looks a little above my pay grade. I need a nudge to cure my indecisiveness:). What would y'all do?

willc and wardcleaver like this.
  2. OldNavy

OldNavy

Sep 14, 2013
    I did a rehab on an old kitchen knife that was a barn find, I got it free. used some scrap Red Oak
    Molding roughed in the shape with a wood rasp & used epoxy & brass rivets. Not super pretty
    but the steel takes a good edge and it's a work horse around the kitchen

before
    [​IMG]

after

[​IMG]

jpm2 and 115Italian like this.
  3. Rayray70

Rayray70

Jan 2, 2019
    Really nice!