Which folder? ZT VS Spyderco

Gaurdian_A1

Gold Member
I am in a tough debate on a new hard use folder to buy..I received my DPX HEST folder and really dont like it at all...so i sold it and with the money am looking to buy either the Spyderco Manix 2, or the ZT0350.

Not sure which to buy...i will be useing this knife as an EDC..in the city, or in the bush..weight is not an issue, this knife has to be tough..so i am asking anyone who may own one or both of these knives, which is better suited as a hard use folder?

appreciate the replies..I used the search engine but could not find the information i needed.

-G1

I have owned both. Got rid of the Manix 2. Don't get me wrong, I love spyderco but in my opinion the ZT is a superior knife.

As stated above the Zero Tolerance would be a better option. I've held both knives and have the 0350st, it's a better knife IMO
(don't mean to offend the spyderco users)

If this needs to handle everything, and since weight is not an issue, go with the 0200. it is a massive knife that weighs a lot, but it will do anything you need it to do. from all i have heard, the 0350 is the blurs bigger brother, so it will be a sweet knife, however, the 0200 is just a massive hunk of a folder.

I don't like mine at all. ;)

I have 2 manix 2's and a zt200, IMO the 350 is too short and stubby/wide, I feel the manix will be a better cutter, though the s30v would hold its edge longer, though if you're looking for tougher rather than better cutter, id say 200, so IMO 200>Manix>350.

Had a Manix 2, sold it, too wide for my tastes. The 350 is even wider, I'd say get something thin, they're far more pleasurable to carry.

really either would be fine. i dont have any experience with the manix 2, but i have been carrying my ZT 0350 for about 1.5 months and it has been awesome. no matter what you end up choosing i think you will be satisfied.

On the ZT0200.... plain or combi edge? I understand the plain is easier for sharpening, but would the combi edge offer greater utility in unforseen circumstances? And what about the JYD?

On the ZT0200.... plain or combi edge? I understand the plain is easier for sharpening, but would the combi edge offer greater utility in unforseen circumstances? And what about the JYD?

The JYD II is an amazing hunk of a knife, but that goes in a different thread. the 0200, as long as you are somewhat proficient at keeping the blade sharp, will cut just as well with a plain edge than it will with a combo edge, excluding things like rope and seatbelts.

The JYD II is an amazing hunk of a knife, but that goes in a different thread. the 0200, as long as you are somewhat proficient at keeping the blade sharp, will cut just as well with a plain edge than it will with a combo edge, excluding things like rope and seatbelts.

The ti framelock JYD 2 blem sold by kershawguy is a crazy sharp, large knife that feels good in hand. Buy one of those for a pittance. ;)

I would say neither the blade you are looking for is the Para 2 it has the quality's of both . It's simply blows them both out of the water for the price range.

Do you really think the para 2 is that tough? I have never held one, but that ZT 0200 is more metal than anything else.... not to mention the fact that is a stinking monstrosity.

I guess this would qualify as enough to join me into the ranks of the ZT fanbois. I am starting to sound like an apple freak. :(

No doubt the Para 2 is an awesome knife. I love my Spydercos and have quite a few of them. But none of mine feel like they're anywhere near the brute/grunt tough that the ZT 200 is. But I don't have a Para 2 either. So, I'll ask the same question; is the Para 2 as tough as a ZT200 for brute work?

I own the Manix2, owned the 0200 for 2 weeks and exchanged it last week for the 0350. I love me my Spyderco knives (got about 18 of them) but between these two particular knives I prefer the feel of the ZT. Don't know what it is but the Manix2 just doesn't feel right in my hands. I'm sure it's a great knife, I've just never used mine.
As far as toughness goes I can't say which is tougher but I think with the ZT having the stouter tip you'd be less likely to snap it in an emergency prying situation (as a rule I don't pry with my knives, but in an emergency...).
For those who mentioned the Para2, while I like the Para2, the Military, the Police, and I'm sure they're tough knives, they're too big for my needs and I'd be paranoid of snapping the tips. That's why I don't consider them "Hard Use" folders. Others' opinions will obviously vary though.

I haven't had a zt yet, but I have had a manix2 and para2. I much prefer the more narrow blade of the p2. The p2 cuts great, but the 0350 looks like a more heavy duty and heavier knife. The P2 carries easy, but is longer than the hest/f. If you're looking more for brute strength, I'd go for the zt. Their warranty would also be better if you plan on abusing the knife in any way.

now that IS a hard choice.
I think I'd go with the manix 2 on this one...I prefer manuals, I like the lock more and...it just looks nicer to me. Also it has a finger choil.

As others have said, though, I'd definitely take a Para-2 over both of them.

Back