Which grit sandpaper for trimming brass?

Hi all. So I'm getting the urge to modify my 112 w/FG to mimic a 112 DE DP5160 which I think is ground irregularly. Basically, I want to ever-so-slightly bow in the brass on the ends. I have ground and shaped the brass of a 110 with a dremel, fine sandpaper, and polishing. However, I'm planning on just using some sandpaper mounted on a board for this next project (as in whenever I get around to it).

My question is, what grit sandpaper should I start off with to start the shaping? I'll probably only angle in the end of the bolsters around 1/16" (1.5-2mm).

If you don't have a belt sander then no sandpaper at first. Use a finer file. Then 220, 400, 600. I personally don't go finer than 600. Depends on your likes.

Scott, welcome to the Buck Forum. If you don't have a vise to hold the knife or files, then coarse sandpaper will work and work through the grits. I would likely start at 150 grit to rough it in hopefully by hand. Especially, when only taking off 1/16". I take it you want to give it a slight curve anyway. Then just use a flexible backing on the sandpaper and rock it while sanding. Good luck, DM

Back