Which handle materials do you like?

I own a Tshark with hardened kraton, and folders with zytel. The SOG bowies are leather, don´t have any experience with these handles. My favorite so far is zytel. The Tshark´s hardened kraton is very comfortable but easily damaged. Also, how is Micarta?

Regards,

Spearfish :)

Spearfish, My favorite is Zytel, with Micarta second. Zytel is light but strong. Never had one with Kraton, but I hear it's a good handle material.

Robbie Roberson. ;)

I like the handle material on the X-Ray Vision. What is that material? Micarta?

Forgive the mention of non SOG blades....but...

Also, there's a type of anti-slip material insert on the Microtech Socom Elite. Makes for a good grip. I really like that.

I also like the Emerson Commander handle material(I have a green handled Mini-Commander). Believe it's the same material as the X-Ray vision.

Let's see...other handle material that I like....

The X-Ray´s is Zytec. Check the booklet supplied with your knife, in the back all the technical specs by tool are stated.

Robbie,

Hardened Kraton on my Tigershark is very soft and is easily damaged but gives a firm grip on land and in sea. Still, I like Zytec for its extreme toughness and yes it is light. What about titanium handles? Curious about those.

Greetings,

Spearfish, Yes I understand, the titanium handled Vision is a tough, beautiful knife, my wife bought me one of these for my anniversary a couple years ago and I love it. But I put it up because I did not want to scratch the handles (the handles will scratch). It is a very strong handle material, but a little more expensive than the others we spoke of. You can't hardly beat the Zytel or Kraton for over all use outdoors.

http://www.sogknives.com/vision.htm

Robbie Roberson ;)

Thanks Spearfish. I'm always so eager to open up the box that I forget to go back and look at the sheet. Kind of like not reading the directions I guess. I suppose I could also go to the website and look too, but always value input from the subject matter experts here(like yourself).

I wonder how the long term durability of Zytel compares to say G-10 Micarta? I was reading something that stated Zytel has a tendency to deform or stretch over time?

Hold on there, I´m definitely not an expert! I only have three SOGs and those are the only one´s I know something about. Learning a lot from these forums right now, unbelievable. I´m very curious about Micarta.

Robbie, interesting to hear that Titanium does scratch. Didn´t expect that.

Spearfish, the titanium handles I have seen that were scratched looked more like the surface. The surface would show slight scratches, I don't think it was into the TI itself, but pocket carry with keys and coins after a while I guess does this, not really a big deal because the TI is still very much intact.
Robbie Roberson ;)

What's the handle material on the mini-Tsunami?

Also, I assume it has a full tang, correct?

Back