1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Which leek is the best? Framelock or Linerlock?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by B.Murdock, Jan 10, 2016.

1. B.Murdock

B.Murdock

May 26, 2015
    Hi guy, I have two kershaw leeks one is the desert tan with black DLC coated blade, which is my safe queen and I got the od green version for Christmas. I was wondering if I should return it and get the framelock version or keep the linerlock one? My only concern is strength because I am going to edc this one and put it to work. The linerlock on the leeks doesn't look to thick and on my od green one it only has about a 10% lock up on the back of the blade. Please help advise me to making the right decision. Thanks.

2. Kwon Kwang

Kwon Kwang

Jul 7, 2013
    If strength is your concern, I'd go for the liner lock, since many liner locks, upon failure, end up wedging the knife open rather than disengaging.

Neither are good options for lock strength, however. They're EDC blades. In that role, I wouldn't be too concerned with lock strength.

3. dr_fosg8

dr_fosg8

Mar 17, 2013
    A leek is a lightweight edc knife. Pick the one you like better. Liner/frame lock isn't really gonna make much difference here.

4. Seneca18

Seneca18 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2015
    The Leek is not a heavy duty knife as it is so either are fine and work well. I own both models as well and have never had an issue with either. Just personally I always liked the frame lock Leeks better.

5. Yalius

Yalius Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2012
    The liner lock versions are a little bit thicker, and in my opinion, a little bit more comfortable to hold. They're both still so slim as to be inconsequential to carry. All told, I slightly prefer the liner lock version-- but that might be influenced by the fact that the Elmax blade version is a liner lock. I can't really imagine, though, using a Leek for something strenuously enough to bring lock strength into the equation. That's what an 0200 is for.

6. zl1

zl1

Nov 24, 2012
    I prefer the liner lock Leeks.
    Just feels right!

7. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    The biggest cause of failure in a liner/frame lock, (aside from just a crappy quality cheaply made one) is typically caused by twisting or prying... If your twisting or prying with a thin blade of a Leek then, expect a broken tip, but for simple cutting and slicing tasks, as a Leek is great for, you should be alright with either.

8. B.Murdock

B.Murdock

May 26, 2015
    Thanks everyone I know feel better about my leek.

9. Kitten Party

Kitten Party

Jun 9, 2014
    I had both and preferred the slimmer framelock leek.

10. collim1

collim1

Aug 14, 2014
    The Leek is not going to stand up to any "hard use" regardless of the lock.

My wife likes the Leek and has broken two of them using inappropriately for electrical work.

They are sleek daily carry knife intended for being a good slicer, nothing else.

11. nick21

nick21

Feb 22, 2014
    With the Leek, the blade's going to be your primary concern, not the lock. It's almost a needle.

Long as you're careful you'll be fine.

12. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    I've had my leek for about two months now and I love it. I have a frame lock version.

I'm still a newb to the Leek, but I can confidently echo the sentiments of the others here that this just isn't a rough use knife. I use it for very fine slicing type tasks and it excels admirably. If I am grabbing a small EDC knife, knowing that I'll be rough with it, I grab my Izula 2.