Which Motor Best For Disc Grinder ? Have 2

I have added 2 motors to my collection of motors. I am motor poor. Anyway both are TEFC and 1 hp 3 phase . One has a base foot the other not. One is 1725 rpm the one without the base is 3450 rpm. Here are pics of the plates. I was planning on maybe 2 disc grinders but if I only do one which would be best? Will be running it thru the VFD with the 2 x 72 Thanks

Attachments

• Motor 1 hp 3 Phase 2.jpeg
    Motor 1 hp 3 Phase 2.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 14
  • Motor 1 hp 3 Phase.jpeg
    Motor 1 hp 3 Phase.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 14
My opinion.... 3450 RPM is way too fast for a disc grinder. Use the 1725 RPM motor. Larry PS If you can afford it buy a KBAC drive with a reverse switch for it and really have a professional tool at your disposal. LL

Reverse is a must, if at all possible. I've had both vert and horiz and prefer the horizontal style. They are more useful when working on flatting bevels.

Sounds good to me. I already have the KBAC 29 for my belt grinder. I am just gonna put it thru that also. I appreciate the input. What is that 3450 motor good for ? Another belt type grinder ? Thanks again for the input.

A direct drive belt grinder with a vfd. 1HP is a little mild but is useful non the less.

I agree with JT another belt grinder is useful...I have 3 and find its less down time switching tool arms by having 3 setups.

I'll third that. I have a one HP motor with VFD on my grinder. It works well for me on all tasks except trying to really lay into it flattening stock on the flat platen. But if I use a fresh belt and don't really lay into it, even that operation is pretty fast. If I make another grinder down the road, and have the electric in my shop upgraded, I may put a more powerful motor on the flat platen machine and use this motor on a contact wheel machine. I never have bogging issues with a wheel.

Well then it won't be a wasted motor sitting on the shelf. Soon as I get into this alittle more and settle in I will put that one to use. Thanks for the opinions.

Back