Which of my knives is best for survival/bushcraft?

I'm on a very limited budget and am hoping that one of my fixed blades will be suitable for survival/bushcraft use. I have a fixed blade in my bugout bag, but I'm thinking about changing things around.

What tasks should I worry about and what kinds of knives are best for those tasks? I initially approached this with the idea that I didn't need a heavy/stout knife, just one that cuts well. I had figured that my knives would be used for food prep, cutting cordage, making fuzz sticks, striking a ferroceum rod, etc. I never planned on doing any chopping...

Right now, my fixed blades consist of:

Buck 119 Special
Cold Steel Government
Benchmade Nimravus Cub
Mora Craftsman
Mora Clipper
Mora Classic
Mora 2010 Outdoors
Marttiini Big Game Hunter

Right now, the Mora Clipper is in my bugout bag. Should I rethink this? Or perhaps supplement?

Thanks.

Sam

Moras. Cheap, strong, and if they do break, you're not out much

Except when you are in a survival situation. Then you are out your life. :)

If you have used your Clipper in the woods, and the only place you typically bug out to is the woods (why do people always run off to the woods?), then it will be fine.

That Buck is a true classic and has filled the needs you refer to for many people for many years. Plus it would probably be tougher{full tang] than the Mora's.--KV

True..
(Get/carry more than one.)
You can get lots of Moras for what one Nimravus costs

This isn't about me buying new stuff for survival/BOB/etc... Those are the knives I own... I'm just trying to decide which ones are best for my purposes. I actually have 2 Nimravus cubs and probably 10 mora knives. I currently have a mora in my BOB. I'm thinking maybe I should replace it with a sturdier knife or perhaps add a sturdier knife to the BOB in addition to the Mora. I can't afford to buy any new knives at the moment. In fact, I'm likely going to have to sell a few knives in the near future.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions.

Quick question: which of those knives do you use the most for bushcraft? That would probably tell you your answer right there.

Quick question: which of those knives do you use the most for bushcraft? That would probably tell you your answer right there.

So far? The Mora Clipper... but I have pretty limited bushcraft experience. Mostly just making fuzz sticks, small traps, and shaving fatwood.

Sam

The mind and the hands guide the knife. Practice the skills and they can be performed with nearly any halfway suitable tool.

I.e I have performed fine notching, and made fuzziness with an 18" M43 Kukri. While not being the ideal tool for the job it did it just fine.

All of the knives you listed can be pressed into service and will function well. I would make the nimravus or the buck your primary and relegate the more to a backup blade. Make sure they all are very sharp, and take a sharpener with you in your kitchen to touch the blades up in the field.

I'm on a very limited budget and am hoping that one of my fixed blades will be suitable for survival/bushcraft use. I have a fixed blade in my bugout bag, but I'm thinking about changing things around.

What tasks should I worry about and what kinds of knives are best for those tasks? I initially approached this with the idea that I didn't need a heavy/stout knife, just one that cuts well. I had figured that my knives would be used for food prep, cutting cordage, making fuzz sticks, striking a ferroceum rod, etc. I never planned on doing any chopping...

Right now, my fixed blades consist of:

Buck 119 Special
Cold Steel Government
Benchmade Nimravus Cub
Mora Craftsman
Mora Clipper
Mora Classic
Mora 2010 Outdoors
Marttiini Big Game Hunter

Right now, the Mora Clipper is in my bugout bag. Should I rethink this? Or perhaps supplement?

Thanks.

Sam

From your list, I would go with the Buck 119. It is a tried and true utility knife.

n2s

The mind and the hands guide the knife. Practice the skills and they can be performed with nearly any halfway suitable tool.

I.e I have performed fine notching, and made fuzziness with an 18" M43 Kukri. While not being the ideal tool for the job it did it just fine.

All of the knives you listed can be pressed into service and will function well. I would make the nimravus or the buck your primary and relegate the more to a backup blade. Make sure they all are very sharp, and take a sharpener with you in your kitchen to touch the blades up in the field.

The bugout bag has diamond hones in it. I always figured maintaining the edge would be nearly as important as having the knife.

There's also a multitool in the BOB with a diamond coated file. I always have a multitool on my belt, which also has a diamond coated file. I keep a credit card sized diamond hone in my wallet, and I always have my Benchmade AFCK on me. I *SHOULD* be set for sharps and hones.

Thanks again.

Stick two Moras in there. You have a spare to lend, trade, or replace a lost or damaged one.

Anybody want to expound on the pros/cons of the 119, Nimravus Cub, or Sog Government for bushcraft/survival needs?

I'm a 3 knife man, a neck knife, mid-size knife, and a chopper, just make sure the knife that's on you, is a dependable knife, that you can trust your life on it, the knife that's on you is the best knife, my favorite set is the Busse Sarge 7, Anniversary Mean Street, and my H.I. M-43, the knife that would be on me is the Sarge, on my O.K.C. set, T.F.I., SP-53, and my BK-14, I have the T.F.I. on person, get the picture, the best survival/bushcraft knife is the knife you have on you.

Back