Which One ?!?!?!?!?!

I am having trouble desciding which knife to get a
1)military
2)starmate
3)wayne goddard
4)jess horn
or a 5)plain standard

I want a heavy duty outdoor fishing camping knife. I don't want to get into the tacticial side...yet.

Why is the such a big price difference? Is it the the firat two hace aluminum liners and the other three are just injection molded bodies?

------------------

In order to decide, you might want to visit a local store and handle as many of these as you can. A lot of us will probably give recommendations, but you know best what fits your hand and which blade style suits your needs.

The Military and Starmate have several factors driving up their price. Their blade steel, CPM 440V, is almost undoubtedly the best stainless in current production knives. Their handles are made of G-10, a woven fiberglass composite, which provides exceptional strength for their weight. It also is somewhat hazardous to work and is computer-machined in a very complex fashion to inset the lock. The lock itself has seen an incredible development and testing regimen that makes it a liner-lock relied on and trusted even by most folks who don't care for that type. In short, the Military is Spyderco's flagship model and the Starmate is its soul-brother in the "collaboration" series - a lot to spend, but a heck of a lot of knife.

The other 3 knives are in ATS-55, if I remember correctly. Also a high-end steel, but a step down from the 440V. I'm assuming you are looking at the Goddard and Jess Horn Liteweights, which have molded thermoplastic (glass-filled nylon) handles. This reduces cost and works fine, but it is somewhat weaker and less "classy." No shame in that, though. The Standard is in G-10, same as above, but doesn't have the same milling so it's rather less expensive.

I personally think the Goddards are the cleanest, most efficient design Spyderco's ever produced - they feel good, look good, work well, and don't sacrifice an ounce of function doing it. The Horn offer a slimmer blade than most Spydies, nice for detail work. The Standard is, well, standard. It's a pure workin' Spydie and a fine knife.

I guess of the five I like the Military best - in fact, I think it's the best knife they make (arguably the best production folder bar none). But if I were on a tighter budget I'd pick the Goddard and be very happy with it.

------------------

-Corduroy
"Why else would a bear want a pocket?"

Little Bear Knives
Drew Gleason:
adg@student.umass.edu

Well Drew, as always, well said.
I'm getting tired of saying this, but, I agree with you 100%.
Are you inside my head or what?!
smile.gif

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.

Wow, if Corduroy and Misque are on the same page, I feel like I'm a few chapters behind. "Military is its flagship model and the Starmate is its 'soul-brother' in the collaboration series"... you should be writing a cultural history of knives!

...I feel like posting a question now, just to get a reply...
smile.gif

Glen

------------------
“The piano has been drinking” -Tom Waits

PS -- Oh, uh, sorry for not answering your Q, sirgrumps. If "heavy duty" and "fishing" are very operative for you, then I'd advise against the Jess Horn -- a bit thinner blade than the others and less sturdy handle. Also, I find its relatively narrow width, pointy blade not very effective for "heavy duty." *Very classy* design for light, daily uses at an affordable price, though.

Best to find a good store and handle 'em all, as Corduroy noted. It's *fun*.

Sorry for such a flat-footed .02 -- hope it helps --
Glen

------------------
“The piano has been drinking” -Tom Waits

As usual Corduroy was right on the money!Only thing I can add is I life the flat grind of the Military for cleaning fish and other task.The 440V steel is great and holds an edge for a long time which is an advantage in a field knife when your sharpening stuff may be at home.

------------------
Those who beat their arms into plowshares will plow for those who do not

Buy the Goddard, but the light-weight...it is cheaper and lighter, but still sharp as hell, and very tough! keep in mind...this is a HUGE folder! It should serve you well at a third of the price of the military! The only thing...the blade is pretty...you may feel bad chopping up chum with a nearly mirror finished blade!
i bought mine a year ago, and about 20 camping trips, and ten hunting outings, it was in my bag all they way. it is not a great knife...but for the $$$ it is perfect for a tough utility knife!

------------------
God's choices in inflicicting suffering are unsatisfactory to us, or understandable. Clearly he needs some help in directing the fury with which he flogs the earth...

Back