Which "semi" rare Axe/Hatchet brand would you most like to find/own ?

Maine axes are another hole in my collection that I really want to fill. Peavey, S&N, Rixford...

I adore Maine pattern axes, and from Maine makers in particular--even better if they have traditional straight handles. However, axes made by companies that also made scythes are big in my book. Isaiah Blood, Emerson & Stevens, North Wayne Tool Co., Dunn Edged Tool Co., Rixford, etc.

Recently missed a mint R King Kentucky AND a Rixford Kentucky with original handle.... Still no Rixy for me.

Bill

For working axes, I can't pass up a TT Flint Edge. They're not rare but they have great steel. Plumb axes are pretty hard to pass up too. As far as rarer axes go, TT Lippincotts are hard to find. They don't have the greatest steel though. TT Falls City axes are pretty hard to come by in decent shape. I also like the TT Dynamic axes.

Def would like to find a sager chemical, I think that's the major one. Hopefully will get up to visit my gramps in Maine this winter and do some hunting up there, Maine axes are lacking but I have at least a S&N. Good luck hunting.

Def would like to find a sager chemical, I think that's the major one. Hopefully will get up to visit my gramps in Maine this winter and do some hunting up there, Maine axes are lacking but I have at least a S&N. Good luck hunting.
Just scored a 1927 sager last week on the 'bay, excited to work on it. My first, but probably just going to sell it when I'm done.

Ok, so I know this thread is years old but I just met a fellow axe collector that has a 2 1/2 lb little cruiser axe by kelly true temper that literally sent shivers down my spine! Nothing too crazy about that particular brand (I have a couple cruisers made by true temper myself), the thing that made this one special is it was a "Paul Bunyan" stamped axe!!! I've never seen (My collection is rgt around 100 axes) but I've spoken with many other collectors and HAVE NEVER seen the kelly Paul Bunyan axe on the smaller cruiser!!!!!! I have a kelly Paul Bunyan but its the full 3 1/2 double bit size, and I've been told even that one is pretty rare. Great photos guys! I will try to get some pictures of his little Paul Bunyan cruiser and post em.
-Shane

HAVE NEVER seen the kelly Paul Bunyan axe on the smaller cruiser!

I hope we get some pics of this.

Thanks for bumping this thread, I'll take a turn performing CPR on the deceased thread. I am based in the UK and just get what I can, so my collection is very small. The stars of the show are a nice Kelly Charleston Connecticut, a Kelly Handmade cruiser and a Belknapp Jersey pattern. Nothing outstanding but it's a balanced started.

But what I'd reaally love, and pay good money for is an old Maine pattern axe from one of the dead and gone manufacturers like Katco or Emerson & Stevens or similar. Preferably forge welded bit. If anyone could point me in the direction of one, I'd bite their hand off. I think it's the simplicity of the designs that appeals to me.

Back