1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Which should I get?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Derty, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Derty

Derty

Dec 15, 2010
    I want to get a blade in s30v but I'm having a hard time deciding. I have a budget so my choices are limited. I would like something that rides low in my pocket. A good hard user but with great looks. My choices are the Kershaw Blur, Leek and Buck Vantage.

2. Dorito Monk

Dorito Monk

Nov 17, 2008
    If you're looking for a hard user, I would not look at the Leek. It is a nice knife, but has a very slim blade, a pretty fragile tip, and a very weak lock (the G10/S30V version, that is). It's more of a gentleman's knife than a hard use knife.

3. ikiddp9

ikiddp9

Mar 15, 2008
    Buck Vantage

4. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    The Buck will ride lower than the Blur. Both are LL so there's nothing to choose between them there. Buck's HT as set up by Paul Bos is legendary, but Kershaw also does a good job on HT.

Personally, I'd prefer Buck's G10 handle, blade shape, and slicing ability over the possibly stronger Kershaw blade and I'm not a fan of A/Os or aluminium scales, but those are personal preferences. The S30V Blur that I had was a solid performer in every way.

5. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    Have you considered the Benchmade 745 Mini Dejavoo (recently discontinued)? It's an excellent knife of similar size to the Blur and Vantage but of (imho) superior design and looks and well as quality in materials and fit&finish. I bought one for <$80, but they may have gone up since being discontinued, and I'm not sure what your price range is.
    That said, the Blur is an excellent hard-use folder, thick stock, and swift assisted-openning, good handle-traction. I had one but gave it as a gift to a good friend, replaced it with the mini dejavoo. The Blur rides at normal height, not deep-pocket like the vantage and mini dejavoo, and I don't consider it a 'looker'.

The leek is not for hard-use, it's a dress-knife or utility (exacto) blade.

6. Rayden.

Rayden.

Oct 29, 2010
    Someone said that s30v edge retention of Vantage Pro is worse than AUS8 of RAT1.

7. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    I've actually used Buck's S30V on several of their knives. Nothin' wrong with it at all. Properly sharpened and used, it's as good as anybody's.

8. drillsgt71

drillsgt71

Dec 1, 2010
    +1 totally agree.

9. FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Oct 20, 2004
    How about a Spyderco Native or a Sage 1. You didn't specify your budget unless you just want the cheapest thing possible?

Have a link? S30V isn't my favorite but I can't imagine AUS8 ever holding a better edge.

10. Dorito Monk

Dorito Monk

Nov 17, 2008
    This 'Someone' fellow you mentioned is a notoriously unreliable person. 'Someone' is always messing around, lying, and cheating. 'Someone' is always up to no good. ;)

11. Cobra281

Cobra281

Sep 9, 2010
    Don't listen to them. I have both and the Buck is much better.
    (At least mine is)

12. MoreToasties

MoreToasties

Jan 13, 2010
    I suggest your favorite S30V folder in your price range, along with an STR lowrider clip.

13. thegeek574

thegeek574

Sep 3, 2010
    I am going to say the blur. it is some of the most fun you will have with a non-auto knife, and the steel is solid. i would point you to kershawguy's blem thread. he has s30v blurs for 45 bucks. i own one in s60v and it is amazing. with off and on use it is almost shaving sharp from being sharpened about a month ago.

14. DennisStrickland

DennisStrickland Banned BANNED

Jun 24, 2009
    get the buck vantage pro. well built & the s30 heattreat is excellent. knarfend did some sisal cutting tests a while back & the vantage pro outcut my s30 millie. however my black millie r.r. at 58 & the buck was a 59.6. we surmised the heat used for the millie coating was what dropped the rockwell down from spydies normal 60 for s30. conjecture only at this time.
    dennis