which slip joint manufacturer/maker?

Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
198
Hello, I was just wondering which manufactures/makers of slip joints you guy like or recommend? So far Queen Cutlery, Schatt & Morgan (Queen), Case and Bulldog are names Ive seen pop up several times in this forum. I've also heard of Moore Maker and Canal Street Cutlery. What other manufactures are out there? What do you guys collect or carry and why? Do they all carry the same patterns or are some patterns exclusive to one company?

Thanks,
-Jay
 
Joined
Apr 20, 2001
Messages
18,423
IMHO, the best quality slipjoints for the money, when you factor in fit and finish, blade steel quality and overall final quality are:

Queen's D2 knives
Schatt & Morgan's ATS-34 knives
Case's CV bladed knives
Boker's German made carbon steel Knives
Bulldog's carbon steel knives
Schatt & Morgan's 420HC knives
Case's 420HC knives

I haven't yet had the chance to own a Moore Maker or Canal Street, so they may shift my list around some when I do.

I also admit, as you can see, a preference for carbon blades over stainless.
 
Joined
Apr 20, 2001
Messages
18,423
CV stands for "Chrome Vanadium"

Basically it's modified 1095 carbon steel.

Great though, really good working steel.
 

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
Joined
Nov 19, 2005
Messages
27,131
The Last Confederate said:
IMHO, the best quality slipjoints for the money, when you factor in fit and finish, blade steel quality and overall final quality are:

Queen's D2 knives
Schatt & Morgan's ATS-34 knives
Case's CV bladed knives
Boker's German made carbon steel Knives
Bulldog's carbon steel knives
Schatt & Morgan's 420HC knives
Case's 420HC knives

I haven't yet had the chance to own a Moore Maker or Canal Street, so they may shift my list around some when I do.

I also admit, as you can see, a preference for carbon blades over stainless.
Queen, which makes Schatt&Morgan, and some of the Moore Makers AND Canal Street (at least the assembly of) knives is hands down the best, followed closely by Case, esp. the CV's. Queen's ATS-34 is more reasonably priced than Case's. Camillus does some of the Moore Makers as well, but I don't know about those. I like the Bulldog knives, and they seem to use good carbon steel, although I've returned some for quality issues, mostly poor fit. Don't know about Bokers. In the Pacific Northwest they aren't as common as other places.
 
Joined
Apr 20, 2001
Messages
18,423
waynorth said:
Queen, which makes Schatt&Morgan, and some of the Moore Makers AND Canal Street (at least the assembly of)

All Queen is doing for Canal Street is stamping out the blades, all other assembly and finishing is being done at the Canal Street Ellenville plant.
 

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
Joined
Nov 19, 2005
Messages
27,131
The Last Confederate said:
All Queen is doing for Canal Street is stamping out the blades, all other assembly and finishing is being done at the Canal Street Ellenville plant.
AH! I had it backwards! Humanity strikes again!
 

cpirtle

Leathercrafter
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Joined
Mar 28, 2001
Messages
4,232
Naturally I'm going to put a plug in for Winchesters marketed by Bluegrass Cutlery.

They were/are made by Queen for Bluegrass and I'm particularly fond of the late 80's early 90's models. Great fit and finish, great steel and classic appearance.

The dark brown jig bone used in them is turn of the century bone from the Utica knife factory and has a lot of character you just don't see in some other bones these days.

Right now the best source for them is eBay and a nice Winchester from the late 80's can be had in almost any popular pattern for $20-$50 which is around or less than many new lesser quality production pieces sell for.

The hard part about Winchesters is you need to do your homework to make sure you don't buy one of the cheap imports or the ones being marketed by Gerber. Look for the Made in USA stamp, pattern number and dated tang for best results.

Here's a few of mine:


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php
 
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Messages
298
Queen and Moore Maker are tops. Schatt and Morgan ATS-34 is also very nice. Anybody know which MooreMakers are from Camillus?
 

pickupman

BANNED
Joined
May 22, 2005
Messages
184
roknjs said:
Queen and Moore Maker are tops. Schatt and Morgan ATS-34 is also very nice. Anybody know which MooreMakers are from Camillus?

The ones with the yellow delrin handles and the ones with the buffalo horn handles are made by Camillus.
 
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Messages
2,462
I just picked up a yellow Delrin Moore Maker Trapper (3202). I must say, this knife does Camillus proud...they are quite hefty and will take a super edge. A top notch slipjoint, with 1095 for a little more/less than $30.00
JMO.

Bill
 
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
198
thanks for the responses guys! Sounds like Queen makes knives for several companys.
Very nice pics Cpirtle! I've never heard of Winchester or Blue Grass Cutlery but I will sure check them out. And I dont mind doing a bit of research; I find that thats part of the fun with knives.

-jay

note: im a little tired rightnow so if my post doesnt make sense sorry...
 
Joined
Dec 31, 2000
Messages
17,031
AG Russell also has some excellent slipjoints from makers in the US, Germany, and Japan. I recently bought one of his Swing Guard knives and the quality can only be described as "perfect", better than most Camillus knives I've handled and as good as any other brand.

For vintage knives I'm a huge fan of Bruckmann slipjoints. Thanks to a large warehouse find years ago, they are common on eBay and inexpensive. Once in a while you might get a stinker, but the quality of most is excellent.

Best Wishes,
Bob
 
Top