Which slipjoint to pair with your CRK folders

I've never owned a slipjoint but have been thinking of adding one to the collection. The core of my folder collection are sebenzas. What slipjoint brand/maker pairs well with CRK from a fit, finish, collectability standpoint?

Or do you just get a mnandi to fulfill your classic knife itch? If so, do you remove the pocket clip? The thing about the mnandi that visually makes it less "classic" to me is the clip.

Great Eastern Cutlery and all their offshoots (GEC, Tidioute, Northfield) and knives they make (recent Northwoods) are some of the best slip joints out there. Mostly the best values too IMO.

I had a bunch, but then I got a Mnandi and that kicked the slippies out of my pocket so much that I sold all but one. The Mnandi blade won't rust easily (most of the slippies I mentioned are 1095), the fact that it locks is nice, and it is much lighter weight than most slippies. I also like the clip for when I want to clip it to a pocket rather than drop it inside my pocket...can't do that with a slippie.

The Mnandi is a little small for my tastes.
I've got two T.A. Davison's, the fit, finish and craftsmanship is on par with CRK.

In addition to my Sebenza, (or any of my other main carry knifes), I always have a Alox Cadet in my left front pocket. It's useful for light prying, tightening screws, etc, and it's so slim, You hardly know it's there.

Great Eastern Cutlery and all their offshoots (GEC, Tidioute, Northfield) and knives they make (recent Northwoods) are some of the best slip joints out there. Mostly the best values too IMO.

I had a bunch, but then I got a Mnandi and that kicked the slippies out of my pocket so much that I sold all but one. The Mnandi blade won't rust easily (most of the slippies I mentioned are 1095), the fact that it locks is nice, and it is much lighter weight than most slippies. I also like the clip for when I want to clip it to a pocket rather than drop it inside my pocket...can't do that with a slippie.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said. I have recently purchased a bunch of GEC's and Northwoods. They are good knives, but should be compared to other traditionals in the price range when talking about fit and finish. I would carry them more if they made them in stainless steel. I like to carry a smaller knife as a secondary role in my carry (mostly food related) and I'm still undecided about how I feel about patinas. Instead the slip joint usually remains unused unless it's my caplifter.

I really do like pairing a gray Alox Pioneer with my sebenzas, however. Stainless, sharp, inexpensive and with useful tools.

Also, OP, I do take my clips off. My mnandi are usually in my shirt pocket and taking off the clip makes them disappear.

Last edited:
Can't beat Todd's Knives Todd Davison for F&F and you'd be hard pressed to find a better match for a slip joint to pair with a Sebenza. I usually carry my Ray Cover custom slipjoint wrapped in snakewood covers.

oINGlyo.jpg

Seems like this question would be better asked in the old timey/traditional/slipjoint forum.

I just picked up a Benchmade 319 Proper and I'm really enjoying it. It's not a small slip joint though. Since the Proper is a little large it might be better paired with a larger CRK, then you'd have knives of different sizes. I'm hoping the Proper sticks around and we see more variants (smaller version, colors, bolsters, etc.).

Here it is next to my small Inkosi. I've been carrying both constantly since I got them.
C26970D4-3ADC-4C87-9274-2EFF0815AF9D_zpsppc81zm1.jpg

My ALM custom SAK also sees a lot of carry with a CRK.
8043CFA9-8597-4534-A908-D799D9524CDC_zpslmm2aa6h.jpg

Last edited:
I often have a SAK Alox Cadet or a Case of some variety in my pocket along side of my CRK.

Typically carry a SAK pioneer with my insingo, carry my Alan Davis slippie for nicer occasions. This picture was on my wedding day actually.

IMG_9680.JPG
I really prefer modern materials and simple (in appearance) construction. It's one of the aspects that draws me toward CRK. This Spyderco Roadie is better than I ever would've thought.

Back