Which sprint run steel do you want most?

A lot of people are mentioning ZDP-189 which makes it pretty amazing that Spyderco has not made a PM2 or Para 3 in that steel. Have they?

I believe they're cancelling all their ZDP lines now. They were all Japanese I believe. Makes sense with the odd requirements Hitachi supposedly put on the steel.

A lot of people are mentioning ZDP-189 which makes it pretty amazing that Spyderco has not made a PM2 or Para 3 in that steel. Have they?
The Japanese steels are often hard to get outside of Japan, that’s why there aren’t any Golden models made in them. Instead, they use analogs like Rex45 for HAP40.

ZDP is a bit of a niche steel with fairly questionable performance so there isn’t a US analog of it. The closest thing to a PM2 in ZDP would be the S110V version, which is a better steel all around. The S90V and Maxamet versions would have some similarities as well (but better edge retention), S90/110 are actually stainless (ZDP isn’t) and Maxamet has similar ultra low toughness (but higher wear resistance).

Have not heard about Spyderco discontinuing ZDP models. ZDP was made using chromium and ultra high levels of carbon whereas most high wear resistance steels are high carbon with vanadium, tungsten and sometimes niobium.

We might have the answer now. There is a Stretch and an Endura in ZDP in the 2021 catalog and I think no ZDP in Reveal 7. It is all VG10 and K390.

We might have the answer now. There is a Stretch and an Endura in ZDP in the 2021 catalog and I think no ZDP in Reveal 7. It is all VG10 and K390.
I remember someone who knows (maybe it was Sal?) on the official Spyderco forum posting some time ago that Bohler only makes one K390 batch per year, I wonder if it is similar with Hitachi and ZDP? The market for ZDP is extremely limited, it’s not used for anything except knives, usually expensive ones!

Vancron Superclean, sould be 2x better in edge retention than Vanax. Something tells me, that the resulting knife would be called by the majority .... overpriced :p

Back