Which steel to use?

I am new to making knives and I am struggling to decide on which steel to use for different knives. I understand that each steel has its pro's and con's and some steels are better for some applications then others. The problem I am running into is finding enough information to determine definitively on which to use. Any information on where I can find more answers would be extremely helpful.

I have already tooled out two patterns of throwing knives that I am ready to start making final products of and I'm ready to buy steel. I know I'm going to want a tougher steel rather then more wear resistant and I was considering going with O1 tool steel, but I'm afraid that it will be too hard and have a tendency to snap as I beat the knife up. But I also am preparing to make a survival knife that I think that O1 would be perfect for. As always any insight on this is greatly appreciated.

Lilguy

This request would be better answered in the Shop Talk sub forum.
If I was making a throwing knife though I would look at S7. Extreme toughness with a little bit of edge holding.

The answer depends largely on your plan and equipment for heat treating. Many different steels will work, just depends on what you have to work them with.

We suffer from an overload of choices these days. Too often we think of specific alloys as being "the only right choice" for certain blades. There's some truth in that - certainly many alloys really excel at particular tasks, and some are very poor choices for other blades - but think about this for a second: relatively few of the steels commonly and successfully used for many different knives were ever designed to be used in hand-held knives. It just so happens that the properties developed for much heavier/more demanding industrial applications carry over well.

The answer depends largely on your plan and equipment for heat treating. Many different steels will work, just depends on what you have to work them with.

Well-said. There is an awful lot you can do very well with 1084 (for instance). Once you understand its limitations, and learn how to forge and/or grind, and HT it for various functions, you can literally make anything from throwers to heavy-duty choppers to fine delicate kitchen blades with it.

Rather than concern and distract oneself with learning ten different steels for ten different designs, I'd advise picking one good well-balanced steel and really getting to know it inside-and-out. Once you have geometry and HT under control, moving on to other steels later is much easier.

As a very long term hobbyist with no pretensions of being more, I can give you some recommendations. If your making throwing knives by stock removal and sending out for heat treat, try 5160. You will not be disappointed. If you are are learning to forge, then listen to Mr Terrio, and use 1084.

I made a pair of throwing knives. I used 5160 and tempered to about 55Rc. They have been hurled at trees, plywood, log piles and more. They have bounced off and stuck in the dirt, bounced off rocks, hit each other, you name it. They have held up very well. But no matter what steel you chose or how well you heat treat it there is one thing you can't plan for......losing one in the leaves. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Any knife/tool steel hardened/tempered to 55 Rock C will withstand any knife throwing duties. Like Bladsmith says you only need 3 steels one high carbon, one alloy, and one stainless. You need to try and figure out which work best for you. And that means making tons of knives and buying tons of tools!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back