• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

which way to go?

I saw on survivorman episode how to use the sun and a analogue watch to get your bearings. I can not remember the specifics so can someone please help me out?

Thanks

Try this, easier to look at some pics than trying to explain it in text only.

http://www.onebag.com/popups/wcompass.html

You can also use the stick and shadow method. Takes about 15 minutes.
Place stick in ground, vertical so it casts a shadow. Place a rock at the tip of the shadow.
Wait 15 mins, then palce another rock at the new shadow tip.
Draw a line usingthe two stones as two points on the line, this is an East-West Line.
West is the first stone you placed, East the second.
South is toward the stick.

Skunk I believe that is the most straight forward, easy to understand explanation of that technique I have ever read. Bravo

I've used both methods, and they work every time. Note that they are also "immune" to declination, but need to be adjusted for "south of the equator" locations.

"Note: If your watch is set on daylight savings time, use the midway point
between the hour hand and 1 o'clock to determine the north-south line."

That's from the US Army Survival Guide. I put it up because I didn't see how to compensate in the link SkunkWerx posted. I don't wear a watch normally, but forin the woods I do have a cheapie analog "sports" watch. Then again, if you're wearing a watch, you can get little button compasses that slide onto the band, too. But no matter how many compasses you own, Mr Murphy tells me these are great skills to know. Just look at the Bic vs. matches thread for more on that idea :)

Skunk I believe that is the most straight forward, easy to understand explanation of that technique I have ever read. Bravo

Thanks, (Crap, I hope I got it correct! ) :eek:

I agree when I have read it and even seen it shown, it can be a bit convoluted. I had to do it several times to make sure I really had grasped the idea.

The longer you wait, the higher degree of accuracy, but it's pretty accurate even after 15 mins. Enough to travel by.

Back