Which would you go for Civilian or Gunting?

I know I would go for the Gunting (if I could find one) but a friend asked me to ask the forumites (and Bram and Sal etc....) which you would use if you didn't have any martial arts experience. I know that Bram told me at the Blade Show that you didn't have to have any Martial Arts experience to take the course at Myrtle Beach. So, what would you do?

------------------
And God said,"Let there be light," and there was light Genesis 1:3

BOTH!
cool.gif

------------------
have spydies
will travel...

I believe I'd go for the Gunting IF I could get training from Bram or one of his qualified instructors. Though I've been into martial arts all my life, I'm sure I'd need aditional instruction to be able to make the Gunting perform to its full potential (I don't mean lenghty, but specific training).
Meanwhile, I'd go with the Civilian. I just wish Spyderco would release a left handed version of it...
frown.gif

Regards,

Leo Daher

------------------
"Though the meek shall inherit the Earth, they won't keep it past Saturday night..."

Leo,
The Civilian is a cool knife , but, pick up the Gunting if you can.Even if it is the right handed model.I picked up the Gunting and red trainer at the Beach Blade.They were the right handed models (I am left handed).
I tried to go through the whole seminar using the knife in my right hand.Since returning home ,I switch from right hand to left hand ( I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrious).
Some time this week, I will try to make a Kydex sheath to carry the righthanded model on my left side.i also want to make a leather belt sheath, and possibly, a " pocket carry " sheath.

Hahahahaha!! "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous"... That was a good one, Mickey!
smile.gif

A Kydex sheath would be a solution for us southpaws - too bad I wouldn't know how to make one...
frown.gif

And I wish I could've gone to Beach Blade - by now, I'm sure I'd be as much in love with the Gunting as you are! Oh, well... Maybe next year... It's all a matter of time anyway (till I go to Florida, that is).

Regards,

Leo Daher

------------------
"Though the meek shall inherit the Earth, they won't keep it past Saturday night..."

Ok..all you fellow lefties..keep the tool in your WEAK hand the right..and use the STRONG hand, the left, to counter, punch, trap, lock..etc..LOL..
Then when the LEFTIES come out carry both knowing you can do either..ROFL....
The compression lock in the lefties is mirror image and the engineering is done already...so right now play with the righties...hmmmmmmmmm
Mickey did GREAT....at Beach Blade...
There are places one would not get a second glance at GUNTING ( Ok it looks strange to some..)but the size of a Civilian might get that second glance..and inspection...
PERSONALLY..( not that I might be biased or anything..LOL..) I prefer the range of what a GUNTING can do BESIDES slice n dice...
Others are learning that now...
Olin had no experience but using it closed saved his life...( he spoke at the seminar about it..)
So it can be picked up and used....

[This message has been edited by BRAM (edited 09-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by BRAM (edited 09-19-2000).]

id take an emerson commander.

oh wait this is the spyderco forum...
oops(commander still)...

ok really, id take the civilian.

i saw one of the gunting videos, and i got to say the part about pinching the guy with the gunting, oh well please. when was the last time you pinched someone. yes, it probably makes a dandy fist load, but most knives do.

the part where the guy is pnching at you and you draw the gunting an hit his incoming fist between the fingers? that sounds like a scripted encounter where the mighty X block would be all Powerful and how the guy with the knife is at a disadvantage...

lets look at size, shall we. or mors specificly legality. yes, the civi may go over the limit of a jurisdiction and on POSESSION CHARGES you can get caught.

if you use it to defend yourself and are correct, pay attention Bram cause you get this 100% wrong every time you mention it, YOU CAN USE AN ILLEGAL WEAPON LEGALY IF THE CIRCUMSTANCES ALLOW FOR ITS USE.

if you are being attacked by a gang intent on stomping your (pick your racial group)'s a$$ into the ground, and you defend youself with a consealed 5 inch bud nealy in NYC you will be charged with the knife. maybe.

if the circumstances were such that the use of force was reasonable then the actual tool of such force is irrelivant to the decission to charge for agrivated assault or murder. you are either in the wrong, or in the right when it comest to criminal law.

does that mean you should ignore the law restrictions in your jurisdiction? i do sometimes. but its for a good cause. really. it is...

think to yourself what looks better.
you are suddenly vioently attacked and you pull the civi and use it for self defence.
attacked and had the possibility of great bodily harm or death so you responded appropriatly in the circumstances. hey, not your fault they chose you.

or

you are being harrassed, so you decide to do a joint lock with your gunting. you pull your knife(lethal force cause it is a knife, it just is to the court on the face of it) and do the lock. oops though the lock was not enough so you try another technique but the dam kenetic opener opens and now you were not planning on cutting the guy, but hell its open, so why not prick him a bit and make him stop from the fear? now he strugles more cause their is a nut with knife after him. now he is really trying to hurt you to get away. now you really DO need to geek him cause if you dont, he will pound on you till you go away cause he is scared and needs to save his own a$$.
well, now ye is in the hospital cause you decided to "defend yourself when the guy you were trying to restrain went nutts on you" and he is in the hospital cause you decided to biomechanical cut him.

prosecutor looks at this charitably as agrivated assault, mayhem, maiming, brandishing, agrivated battery, agrivated wounding... attempted murder?

a knife is lethal force. period. end of thought. if you are going to pull a knife, closed or open the situation had better be such that lethal force is reasonable whether you use it or not.

CIVILIAN every time over the gunting.

Originally posted by memnoch:

or

you are being harrassed, so you decide to do a joint lock with your gunting....

CIVILIAN every time over the gunting.

[/B]

You see memnoch - this is where you are dead wrong - you don't take out any kind of weapon for merely being harassed...you simply walk away - ignoring the a$$

But - if harassing turns to a little pushing and shoving - and you see danger coming (which you should have, a long time ago and get the he** out of there) - then you want to have as many force options as possible.

Force options: from yelling, through flash light beam into the face blinding the aggressor and allowing you enough time to escape, through empty hand, through chemical agents (could be a deodorant - doesn't have to be mace) through small knife - still folded and used for a lock....you know the rest.

Sounds reasonable? It does - cause you and I and most of the knife people here carry more then one knife and more then one weapon and use them (if we have to) according to the situation...

The Gunting rocks.

Now if it would only be slightly less ugly....

Ok..you are COMPLETELY wrong..PERIOD..
An illegal weapoin may not be used legally EVER..
PERIOD..circumstances don't matter a damn..
Ok lets rephrase this..YOU CAN USE it..YOU MAY NOT..there's a difference..
You use it, you get proscecuted for using it..simple..straight forward...Using a closed knife DESIGNED to be used closed IS NOT LETHAL FORCE..it is an IMPACT tool ...Thats why this knife has been called a "watershed Event" in the world of knives....thats part of its patent intent as well...
OHHHHHHHH Thats why we /I have attorneys on staff and thats EXACTLY what we taught at BEACH BLADE..of course if you had BEEN there you'd have heard AUTHENTIC LEGAL counsel teaching what's up..( yes I know there are minute differences in each jurisdiction..) We also had several LEO instructors from the academies teaching....I don't shoot from the hip..I take time and I aim...
You go ahead and carry an illegal weapon ...you use it..you think you won't get zapped? Hell Bernard Getts ( SP?)got zapped..and we all loved the idea of a poor little guy zapping the gang of BG's..except his story and attitude deteriorated into it was HIS fault....
If you take an instructional video showing principles as "this is exactly what happens" well I guess you missed the point..
Since pinching works..finger trapping works..retraints work..trapping perse work..all if used at the correct part of the combative flow..to compare it to the misuse and misunderstanding of the principle of a closuing block-opening block..the infamous X-block..well i guess you have no vision as they say..cause you know whats corret as you see it..and thats OK..
LOOK AGAIN..
Have non experienced people used it to save their lives in extreme viloent situations? YES..Have they come forward at the last PUBLIC seminar to state so..Yes..No I didn't kow them nor ever saw them before Beach Blade..They came to learn cause UNTAUGHT they used the tool closed and guess what..to quote them " Thank you mr frank for saving our lives!"..PERIOD.
You personally don't like the GUNTING or is principles of usage..no problem..
Do primitive biomechanical responses allow it to be used effectively and upon need? yes..wether you like it or not....
Do you think it cannot escalate to higher force levels??? I doubt that since I know from all your posts that you're an edged tool person..
All knives work as fist loads? no way..but since YOU brought it up..this one works great for that....It was DESIGNED for that...it was designed to be an IMPACT tool that can escalate through the force continum.
and it does that...
As for I panic and I need it open..it does its kinetic thing "BAM!" its open..
My advice is to not buy a GUNTING..nor any of its variants...
Stick with the Civilian..hmmm I guess you'll be in BIG trouble if it becomes a kinetic opening knife....cause then its got a ramp...OH my!..
seriuosly..if its not for you its not..

Gadi: thanks for the posting..an atty posting about force? what could you possibly understand about use of force!? You too Mickey..hmmm these guys actually experienced the GUNTING..and they belive..funny thing about that..

[This message has been edited by BRAM (edited 09-20-2000).]

By the way,,I can tomahawk that ramp into lots of things..very effectively..and so can a whole lot of people..hammering is a GROSS motor skill..
Hey...Mr STINKY..you out there??..Mr STINKY has tested it on his wooden dummy where he test cuts his knives after forging them...
seems ramp hitting really packs a wallop...
Hey as I stated before..
If its not for you..so be it..
I believe in options...
and some of those options belong int the FLOW of combat....

Memnoch:
Are you a nut or what? You cannot just use any illegal weapon for one and be justified -Besides that...
I was the producer on the Spyderco Gunting video and the Trilology. Trust me the videos are real Look at Thomas's arm for starters. Ask the guys that were knocked out by John Ralston. Ask anyone who has tried to punch with the left and gets hammered with the ramp. I geuss you never got pinched by a little girl when you were a kid. Well now that girl is grown up and she is on steroids. Don't say something does'nt work just because you hav'nt seen it in person. Oh you probally belive the footage of the landing on the Moon was shot at Universal Studios Hollywood. Nuff Said.

George

I'm going to step in here and try to give you my impressions.

"oops though the lock was not enough so you try another technique but the dam kenetic opener opens"

In response to this statement I have tried with my limited experience to duplicate everything I was shown at Beach Blade and at no point of any lock, hold, pinch or any other techique could the knife open accidently. For it to open you have to shift your grip so your fingers are holding only the scales. This has to be a deliberate act.

The normal grip of the tool has three of my fingers (or four if you have a really small hand) wrapped around the front of the handle trapping the blade inside the grip. For me at least, anything else just ain't natural.

Does anyone else who has actually handled this new tool have a different opinion?

Terry Prichard

Back