Whistle Test: Bigger, Better, New & Improved

Following are the results of my bigger, better, new and improved (but still imperfect) whistle test. The findings of my first test were posted in Gadgets & Gear because I had included the new 4sevens 100db titanium whistle, and did not want to give the impression that I thought it was suitable as a “Wilderness and Survival” whistle. Since then, I’ve come to realize that some will include the tiny 4sevens whistle in pocket kits, and I also added a few whistles to the test that are big enough that they cannot in any way be considered keychain whistles. So here we are with a new test in W&S.

It's really not worth seeing, but if you care, the original test can be found here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/887457-A-Quick-Test-of-Six-Whistles

I did not think I would be able to conduct this particular test until next spring as it’s now hunting season and hunters don’t like people running around the woods blowing whistles. I had forgotten that (at least in Pennsylvania) it’s illegal to hunt on Sunday. So, this past Sunday I talked my wonderful wife into helping me with my test. Clear skies, with temps in the low 60’s and there was only the occasional wispy breeze. Most of the leaves have already fallen here, so we were in open woods. We were also on mostly level ground without hills or valleys.

My wife sat in a chair facing me as I marched into the woods with a GPS, an FRS radio, and a pocketful of whistles to find the range limit (for the above conditions) for each of them.

The results are as follows with additional comments below:

(Distances are in Meters.)

4sevens 100db titanium whistle: 225

ACR Safety whistle: 250

Fox 40 Mini: 325

Fox 40 Micro (aka Rescue Howler): 325

Acme 649 Survival: 325

Jet Scream: 350

Acme Thunderer 560: 400

Acme Thunderer 558: 425

Whistle Test.jpg

Most people only look at decibels when deciding on a particular whistle while other things come into play. Low tones carry farther and are reputed to move through foliage better. Even the numbers above fail to tell the whole story. It’s important to consider how big of a breath it takes to get the most out of a whistle.

The 4sevens and the ACR are incredibly easy to blow. It is easy to maintain long continuous blasts of several seconds. The Fox Micro, the Acme 649 and the Jet Scream fall at the other end of the scale and require big lungs to be most effective. Producing sustained blasts would be difficult or impossible for most. Getting anything out of them might be impossible if one were injured. I wouldn’t give them to kids or elderly. I wouldn’t want to be stuck in the woods blowing them repeatedly all day long in hopes of being found. Doing so would be exhausting if possible at all. My wife doesn’t like these three whistles. Neither do I.

Note that the two “winners,” the Acme Thunderer 560 and 558 are both pea whistles. As it relates to most of us, I think the possibility of the pea freezing is overblown (pun intended.) A whistle carried in a pocket or worn on a neck lanyard and tucked in a shirt should never freeze. If it did, I can’t imagine it would take much to thaw it out. Considering the much greater range of the pea whistles, this is what I would carry. If the possibility of freezing is an issue, then carry a pea whistle and a pea-less whistle as a backup. They weigh almost nothing and cost hardly anything. I should mention that the addition of the pea makes these whistles quite easy to blow. I suspect that this is what makes them so effective. I was surprised that the 558 (425 meters) had only a slightly greater range than the 560 (400 meters) considering that the 558 is so much bigger. The 560 definitely wins for size efficiency.

Thunderers.jpg

You may have noticed that the Tops Knives whistle was included in the first test, but not in this one. While conducting the test, I had just placed one of the whistles to my lips when I felt something drop and hit the toe of my boot. I then blew the whistle being careful not to shuffle my feet until I could retrieve whatever it was that had bounced off my foot. Stooping down, I couldn’t see anything but fallen autumn leaves so I reached for my reading glasses to get a better look. They weren’t in my pocket. I looked at the ground again and finally saw the glasses. After retrieving them, I continued with the test. All I know is that the Tops whistle came up missing and I probably lost it at the same time as the glasses.

What I liked about the Tops: It did not require a lot of breath to blow. It is reputed to put out 120 db. It had a low tone and sounded very much like a train whistle.

What I didn’t like about the Tops: It always seemed that it had to be held in the mouth just right to get all “tone chambers” to sound. If I held it to my lips with my fingers it worked perfectly. When I removed my fingers to cover my ears, if the whistle shifted at all, the tone would be off and also not as loud. I doubt I could have maintained three full blows without the whistle shifting. I should add that all the whistles except the ACR and Tops have a ridge on one or both sides of the mouthpiece to help your lips or teeth to orientate and to hold onto the whistle. The lack of a ridge did not seem to matter on the ACR. It did seem to matter (at least for me) for the Tops Knives whistle.

Conclusions: The 4sevens titanium whistle wins for a keychain whistle because of its miniscule size. It is $20, though. A more reasonably priced alternative is the Acme 560. It is in the size range of the other keychain whistles, yet has a significantly greater range. I also think the 560 wins as a woods whistle. While the 558 has just slightly more range, it is also much bigger in all dimensions. I should add that a future test in the spring or summer might change my mind. Through heavy foliage, the lower toned 558 may prove greatly superior.

Last edited:
Great test Scott, thank you for sharing your findings. I have a Jet Scream and a Storm Whistle. Although the Storm Whistle is larger and may not be suitable for small kits, it is still a very very loud whistle. About how much did you pay for the Acme Thunderer 556?

Thanks for that detailed review.
Interesting that the lower tone carries that much farther.
Now to try and track down the Acme Thunderer 556
Dont seem to be popular in my google searches.
thanks again. :thumbup:

The only one of these that I have experience with is my EDC Fox 40 Micro, and I well pleased with it. Its nice to see how the others stack up against it. I may only use it once a year, but its nice to have it when you need it. I subjectively consider the Fox 40 Micro to be extremely loud, but the size of the 4sevens' version is mighty nice for those of us who carry a whistle all of the time.

IMG_1865.jpg

Now to try and track down the Acme Thunderer 556
Dont seem to be popular in my google searches.

The reason you're not finding the Acme 556 is because I'm an idiot. :)

I should have written 560. I've since corrected it. BTW, you can find the Acme 560 on a popular auction site for about $5 +$2.50 shipping. Amazon only seems to sell them in quantity. Also, if you go to Acme's website (or at least their UK and Canadian sites) you can actually hear sound files of their various whistles.

Last edited:
I looked into the 4 sevens whistle and it had the same problem that the aluminum ones you get at rei have, they're two parts. There's a plastic insert that's glued into place with some sort of epoxy. This is why I like the fox 40 whistles. They seem less likely to come apart. Probably a non-issue but I feel it's best to eliminate all potential issues on life saving gear.

Last edited:
Try the Fox Sharx, they rate at 120 dB
It is significantly louder than the Fox 40, which they rate at 110 dB

I had given the Fox 40 to my Girls on thier key rings as safety whistles, but the key ring holder broke
So Fox sent me a whole bunch of these Sharx whistles

These Sharx whistles are loud and very easy to blow

Safety_Sharx_Orange_Blue_2011.jpg

Last edited:
Try the Fox Sharx, they rate at 120 dB
It is significantly louder than the Fox 40, which they rate at 110 dB

I almost bought a Sharx. Then I read Brian Green's whistle reviews. (see link)
http://www.briangreen.net/2011/03/safety-whistles-decibel-testing.html

If you open the link and then do a word search for "sharx," you'll come to comments by someone who had done a test similar to mine with seven different whistles. He claims that "up close, the Sharx was, by far, the most ear-piercing," but at a distance, the Sharx "was among the quietest of the bunch." This is why decided not to buy a Sharx, why I did my test the way I did, and why I say that there is more to consider than just decibles. The pitch of the whistle (among other things) also comes into play.

Last edited:
Another whistle test I should mention can be found here (skim down the page just a bit): http://www.ysar.org.nz/technology/Other.htm

The test was performed in the New Zealand bush. You'll see that the top two contenders, the Storm whistle and the Acme (metal) Thunderer, are both pea whistles. There is also mention of a "black pea whistle" but no mention if it is a generic whistle or an actual plastic Thunderer. In this particular test, the Fox 40 (presumably the Classic) did not do so well. If you compare this test to mine, you'll note that I got greater range. Keep in mind—I was not dealing with foliage.

Last edited:
Very interesting information. The ti whistle is intrigueing, but not worth the $132 to me. I don't think any whistle would be. But then I wouldn't spend that on a flashlight either and I see gear hounds that will spend much more than that on one. A cost comparison of the tested whistles woul be a good thing, IMHO.

I just got the 4Sevens whistle after reading this review.... now that it's here, I either got a bad one or somebodies hearing is WAY off.. :)

Mine sounds more like one of those silent (but not) dog whistles... just a high shrill sound. My wife asked what it was.... when i told her a whistle, she said it doesn't even sound like a whistle. My old hunting dog whistle is WAY louder.

I dunno, maybe its because thereis no ball rattling around in there. Mine just seems weak to me. I was all excited, but now I am all.... ho-hum... not that cool.

Won't be going on any of our keyrings, thats for sure.

I just got the 4Sevens whistle after reading this review.... now that it's here, I either got a bad one or somebodies hearing is WAY off.. :)

Considering that it was my thread that prompted your purchase, I feel sorta bad. Two things to keep in mind... Firstly, it is a tiny whistle and for that reason alone, it would be impossible for it to match a larger whistle in volume. Secondly, because it is a tiny whistle, its pitch is necessarily higher than a larger whistle. It's one of those facts of life that as we age we lose sensitivity to higher tones. When I did this latest whistle test, I suggested to my wife that we bring her mom along. I thought she'd have fun with it. My wife thought it would probably just be depressing for her as her upper range hearing is just about shot. You didn't give your age. In any case, I'm really sorry if my test proved misleading to you. :(

Good post. Nice to see my JetScream is in the top three. As ive said before, im happy with it, but thats probably only because i havent compared it to anything else.

I just got the 4Sevens whistle after reading this review....
Mine sounds more like one of those silent (but not) dog whistles... just a high shrill sound.

I picked up one of the similar REI aluminum ones a few years back. Thing was so pathetic I just tossed it in the garbage can and was done with it.

Considering that it was my thread that prompted your purchase, I feel sorta bad. Two things to keep in mind... Firstly, it is a tiny whistle and for that reason alone, it would be impossible for it to match a larger whistle in volume. Secondly, because it is a tiny whistle, its pitch is necessarily higher than a larger whistle. It's one of those facts of life that as we age we lose sensitivity to higher tones. When I did this latest whistle test, I suggested to my wife that we bring her mom along. I thought she'd have fun with it. My wife thought it would probably just be depressing for her as her upper range hearing is just about shot. You didn't give your age. In any case, I'm really sorry if my test proved misleading to you. :(

No problem! I'm pushin 50..... I'll take it in the woods with my wife (who is 32) and see what she thinks of it in the brush.

It is well made, just seems weak.

I I always have a fox 40 with me, and that is loud enough. I have used it only once, but I blew it and about 20 minutes later my brother and dad were there. (End of the day hunting and I was dragging a deer out) Definitely a handy tool.

No problem! I'm pushin 50..... I'll take it in the woods with my wife (who is 32) and see what she thinks of it in the brush.

It is well made, just seems weak.

I really don't consider the 4sevens whistle a "wilderness" whistle. There are definitely many whistles that would prove better for that. To me, it's a great "keychain" whistle. Keychain tools, whether they be pliers or screwdrivers, never preform as well as their full size counterparts. (I bet you'd be real happy with an Acme 556.)

Back