White perch. Invasive little fish.

So, with a high creel limit, knowing they will devastate the native fish, im wondering if I should do my part and catch some of the white perch. My love of nature has bitten me on the hiney..go for the white perch..or continue my quest for a giant lmb...to fish..or not to trophy fish...THAT is the question.. hehe. But, seriously, from what I have read..the white perch have caused a decline in bass, as the white perch spawn just after the bass..which is when they decimate the bass eggs.

Last edited:
I'd say check with local DNR or game wardens and ask them and also ask if there are lakes or ponds that are in particular danger of these guys. Set up a ultra light rig so you have more fun catching them and go to town on them!

I'd say check with local DNR or game wardens and ask them and also ask if there are lakes or ponds that are in particular danger of these guys. Set up a ultra light rig so you have more fun catching them and go to town on them!

I have asked several of them. One area has no limit on the white perch, and there has been a decline in the other species. Now I understand why there were so many around the bass beds..ugh.. Hate it when people try to "improve" lakes by "donating" fish. -_- going to put my bass plans on hold..and put white perch on the table.

Hehe..ultra light..yeah..maybe some 2 pound test..it actually might be a lot of fun.

White perch are delicious and not as bony as yellow perch. Catch and eat as many as you can.

Cheers!

I've caught a few of them in the past and never did eat them. We have lots of bass here and I never heard of them hurting the local game fish population.

Didnt get any perch yet....did get backlashed and popped in the eye by a sinker, weight-lifters plus stuck line equals bullet on a fishing line...OW! Ruins a trip real fast!

Sorry to hear you got hurt...I always wear some sort of glasses as I was hit one time with a lure in the face myself and fear eye injury since.....

Back