Whitetail and larger hunters - what is your hunting knife set up?

I have used the Spyderco Bill Moran Drop Point for hunting and other outdoor activities since it was first introduced around 1995. I like a knife with a good feeling handle, a blade that holds an edge which VG-10 does, a knife that is easy to clean, and one that doesn't weight a lot. The Bill Moran DP does all this for me. I also recommend a good bone saw.

Last edited:
Since 1989 I’ve used a Buck 110 for field dressing and then a butcher set to process the carcass at the shed. I used to use my brother’s Bowie knife but it was just to big and cumbersome. A 3.5-4 inch blade is plenty for hunting big game afield. I’ve seen other guys using a 3 inch Buck 112 and did just fine. Once you get to the processing part then you will need a boning knife and a good slicer. I’ve always deboned the meat instead of saw cutting through the bone.

Once upon a time, a long, long, long time ago, when I was able to go hunting (the boss agreed I could have opening week of deer season off) and I was close enough to Missouri to make the trip ... still had a Missouri drivers license ... had the funds for the (resident) deer tag(s) ... my hunting knife set-up was the same for big and small game:
Standard production then current pre-1995 Old Timer 7OT on my belt, and a "large" 3 7/8 inch or larger closed stockman (the spey blade to "unzip" the belly) and a 4 blade scout/camp/"Demo knife" in my pocket.

A (not yet then dead) friend I hunted with in Missouri, had a Old Timer 152OT "Sharpfinger" I could use if I wanted to ... so long as long as he wasn't using it on his, his son's, or his wife's deer(s) at the time. (Or his wife wasn't using it on her, her hubby's, and/or son's deer(s).)

Once upon a time, a really long, long, long, long time ago, shortly before the Blue Pike went extinct, (I think it was Gertrude, who caught the last one on rod n' reel, about the time I started High School. They were extinct a couple years after I graduated.), and before I graduated from High School in Iowa, my "hunting knife set-up" was an Western L66, on my belt, an "large" 3 7/8 inch closed or longer stockman, (spey blade to "unzip" the belly) and a 4 blade scout/camp/"Demo knife" in my pocket.

I also had in both eras, a unknown by any (then living) person brand and vintage hatchet for the pelvis, and to make it "easier" (or less work, at any rate) to part joints and free the ribs, as needed. :)

If I ever get to go big game hunting again, (highly unlikely) I believe I'll change my belt knife from a Buck 110, or (pre or post 2004 (I have both)) Old Timer 7OT, to a Marbles MR417, or (BTI) Old Timer 25OT two blade slipjoint folding hunter, and/or either an Mora Classic Number 1, or Cold Steel "Finn Bear", or Western L66 (not the same one I had back in Jr. High and High School) if I decide to bring along an fixed blade.
The unknown vintage and brand hatchet I had way back when, has been replaced by an equally unknown vintage and brand 2.5 pound "Hoosier" pattern single bit axe. :) It will also come along.

Last edited:
Once upon a time, a long, long, long time ago, when I was able to go hunting (the boss agreed I could have opening week of deer season off) and I was close enough to Missouri to make the trip ... still had a Missouri drivers license ... had the funds for the (resident) deer tag(s) ... my hunting knife set-up was the same for big and small game:....
I did that in Pennsylvania as I still had their drivers license for a few years after leaving the state (to start life so to speak). After one hunting trip, I felt guilty and bought non-resident license if I wanted to hunt there. Wardens notice license plates... just so you know. This isn't pointed toward you personally but as a general statement for hunters bending the rules.

The Spyderco Moran is a good choice as mentioned above.

The Rat Cutlery RC3 (ESEE 3) has been my hunting blade for a while now. No complaints.
Wlzp1aa.jpg

Buck 119 always an easy choice.
20A9DF47-0911-4031-B700-D0D1A7AA5294.jpeg 319605E0-BE90-496B-9456-5A785A46428C.jpeg

Old Hickory and Mora Filet work decently for butchering.

The Mora2000 is a surprisingly good hunting knife.

A372CDAA-CE74-4124-9194-E4DB05F17BCC.jpeg BBAC3757-0301-464B-98E9-64FD9C9A5EA3.jpeg

My personal favorite: Cold Steel Master Hunter in CPM-3V. It can skin and field debone three Axis deer before needing a touch up. The blade shape is ideal for me.

5362254B-8DE7-4EB9-AED4-253948608181.jpeg
For sticking a KaBar works pretty good. Not the greatest skinner but doable.
E4C42D6F-4B61-4F10-B7F4-73A893DEF917.jpeg

As mentioned earlier, a good bone saw is very important, or else you could use a large chopper. This is to harvest the ribs, and remove the antler cap.

I did that in Pennsylvania as I still had their drivers license for a few years after leaving the state (to start life so to speak). After one hunting trip, I felt guilty and bought non-resident license if I wanted to hunt there. Wardens notice license plates... just so you know. This isn't pointed toward you personally but as a general statement for hunters bending the rules.

The Spyderco Moran is a good choice as mentioned above.
That's OK. My 1 ton still had Missouri plates on it. (as with DL, I ain't "rich". Why spend money I don't got to spare for new, if it ain't expired?)
(also, in a couple states, such as Kansas and Nevada, I loathed it there, and had less than zero desire to become an "official" citizen of that state.)

I've used a bunch and have field dressed many deer with a Buck 110. While the 110 was and is a great size and shape for the task, I have grown to prefer fixed blades for field dressing deer and larger game. The Cold Steel Master Hunter (mine is Carbon V) as well as the Becker BK-16 (or BK-17) are fine choices. I have several similar size/shape knives in stainless steel that also would be fine. I've also used a Sharpfinger which is OK and even a SAK once when I forgot my hunting knife - sliced the tip of my thumb off with that SAK severing the esophagus.

Forgot to mention, I have also become fond of the Cold Steel Drop Forged Hunter which is a handy size, effective shape for field dressing and other hunting chores and it's darned near indestructible and up for the task splitting firewood by batoning or other extra need that can come up.

That's OK. My 1 ton still had Missouri plates on it. (as with DL, I ain't "rich". Why spend money I don't got to spare for new, if it ain't expired?)
(also, in a couple states, such as Kansas and Nevada, I loathed it there, and had less than zero desire to become an "official" citizen of that state.)
I was a student for a while and moved from Houston TX to KY for a job that I wasn't absolutely sure I wanted to keep. Anyway, I had TX DL and was stopped by police late at night for something.... I can tell you for a fact that having an unexpired but incorrect DL is not an excuse. But I know how it is as at one time I felt exactly the same way. I view both hunting and fishing licenses as a contribution to a good cause (conservation) and have maintained both for years even if I didn't use them.

I don't care for the disposable blade systems, I get much better performance from a good knife. I got a Buck Vanguard many years ago and even after buying and using several other knives it's still one of my favorites for deer. The design just works.

I have some customs and a CPK EDC2 that have been on my belt in more recent years and are slightly smaller than the Vanguard. I've settled in on about 3.5" to 3.75" as what I prefer for deer and even up to elk with a bit bigger blade along. The slightly smaller knives can do it all for field dressing and are more nimble.

Last edited:
I use a Camillus Buckmasters Guthook (similar to a Camillus/Western R18), a Camillus/Western R16 and a Camillus/Western R2, for the knives and throw in a garden lopper for the rib cage and joints. The rubber handled knives don't slip when bloody and clean up easily.

Dozer K2, though a few models will work. Bob does D2 very well, not the latest and greatest of super steels but my favorite

for specific tasks IMHO:
*Field dressing (in my case removing the entrails) :ESSE Izula II, nothing better for reaching up into chest cavity(after slicing diaphragm plus I don't split breastbone) and cutting esophagus as opposed to fingers.
**Preliminary cuts to skin with truck/4-wheeler: Outdoor Edge Zip Pro
***Quartering, general processing: pick your favorite, folder or fixed, doesn't matter
****Boning, processing into cuts: Forschner boning knife
Your mileage may vary (for those who come here disposable blade knives are only used by blasphemous heretics, lol)

I carry a medium fixed blade on the belt along with a small fixed blade in the pack for any detail work.

My experience with the disposable blade knives hasn't been very favorable. The one I have is in the junk drawer and it wouldn't even be considered for field use. View attachment 1379573

@MrsterZ, who is the maker on the two blades you're showing in your photo?

@MrsterZ, who is the maker on the two blades you're showing in your photo?
Both are Arkansas Made Dozier knives. The larger one is a K2 General Purpose and the smaller is a K13 Whittler.

Search "Bob Dozier" for their website or authorized dealers. They are not easy to come by, but worth the effort!

Back