Who bought this Gransfors ?

I was watching this Gransfors head on Ebay, I hope none of you bought it http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VIN...368017?hash=item3d42999b11:g:ZOYAAOSwz3lZehU1 I assume it is a small forest axe. Buyer paid $84 plus $18 shipping. When he buys a new handle at $30+shipping he will have more then a the price of a new small forest. But this one has been excessively sharpened AND if you look at all the photos the eye is screwed up so it won't hang right. So more than new for one that is ruined.

Let's see - what is that worth to someone? There is real and perceived value in all objects.

1. It was coming straight from Sweden (country of origin)
2. I (and maybe you too) won't find that at a garage sale.
3. It was 1.37lbs so it looks like more of a hatchet and a precursor in design to the more modern ones.
4. It still seems to have a lot of bit left to work with.
5. I think it might be representative of a certain era of production and there are fewer examples I see people talk about.
6. The crown mark plus LP probably can help date it more or less. Maybe the LP is the black smith's initials.

If you live in Sweden my guess is that it could be had for less but I am not in Sweden, get to go to Swedish flea markets, trade on Swedish auction site, or have old Swedish relatives to receive something like that as a hand me down.

So maybe that is the right price (or even a deal?) for something like that in the condition it's in and we just don't know it?

I didn't buy it but if someone here did? I want a better look at it :thumbsup:

Everything Agent_H said makes sense, but still IMHO a waste of money.
I haven't done any major testing yet, but as of right now I believe I have completely bested a sfa for 20$.
You can too for under 30$ with a riggers axe head and 19" house handle ( I wanted 20" so I had to modify a 12$ 28" handle )

I was initially thinking that the "winner" of that auction must be someone who, to paraphrase my father, has "more money than knowledge". But the above comments have me wondering about some hidden value... Maybe the blacksmith LP retired, or something? Or maybe somebody has been waiting for a used one to hang on a short handle? Or maybe...

I was initially thinking that the "winner" of that auction must be someone who, to paraphrase my father, has "more money than knowledge". But the above comments have me wondering about some hidden value... Maybe the blacksmith LP retired, or something? Or maybe somebody has been waiting for a used one to hang on a short handle? Or maybe...

I could be all wrong too, just thinking out loud.

I've seen guys in other forums ask where they might just get a head for a project and they find that they are rarely separated from their sticks so to speak.

What percentage of the price of a new GB in that size would the $84 represent?

Seriously, I don't know but the op made me think about it :)

Last edited:
I have an LP Mini hatchet that wasn't made that long ago. From memory he was the only smith that could work fast enough to forge the mini's at GB. He must be a bad ass. LP, – Lennart Petterson -

I have an LP Mini hatchet that wasn't made that long ago. From memory he was the only smith that could work fast enough to forge the mini's at GB. He must be a bad ass. LP, – Lennart Petterson -

So I'll just say that I don't know much about new Gransfors other than I can pick the more common handled models in a line up - maybe lol. The older stuff I find interesting as well as the evolution of the company.

made2cut made2cut and S Steve Tall , is that one just a new production axe that has just been used some without the handle?

So I'll just say that I don't know much about new Gransfors other than I can pick the more common handled models in a line up - maybe lol. The older stuff I find interesting as well as the evolution of the company.

made2cut made2cut and S Steve Tall , is that one just a new production axe that has just been used some without the handle?
I believe cckw called that right as a worn Wildlife hatchet. But I think it is the older one that had a broader bit and an up turned toe. They no longer have an up turned toe and are flat across the top like a carpenters hatchet.

I don't keep up on the company either but I have a couple of their older hatchets. I like them.

My understanding is that LP designed the mini hatchet, but he is not the only dude to make them. The attraction to LP, to the best of my knowledge, is because his picture is in the axe book.

Another note on these used Gransfors heads, the current stuff has nothing to do with the old. The company was completely out of business when the current owner bought it and resurrected it with the hunters axe. Any with initials on the head are the new company, without is from before.

So if you get a GBA head on ebay and buy a modern gransfors handle the handles eye will be too small. I would guess that any with initials on the head will fit a modern handle. But I suppose it is possible there are discontinued models that were different.

Last edited:
Back