Who carries a Deluxe Tinker?

Hi All,

The only SAK I own with pliers is the rather weighty Handyman, a 30th birthday present from my climbing partner too many moons ago to mention...

It’s a wee bit heavy, to be honest, and resides in my desk drawer at home. It gets used, but not carried, so I thought I would splurge on a fancy scales Deluxe Tinker.

On an overnight mountain camp last month with my 13yr old son, the Gaz stove had a ‘problem’, and using a bit of ingenuity I solved it with a Huntsman, but I could have done with pliers for sure. We nearly had no hot drinks or food in freezing temps at 2,000ft up a Welsh mountain. :eek:

Yes, yes, I have actually ordered a Leatherman PS4 thanks to @Hickory n steel and @jackknife lol. Thanks guys, or should I say ‘enablers’? ;)

But... I do love my SAK’s and I thought I would spoil myself a bit more. Any love out there for the Deluxe Tinker?

The scales are the ‘Edge of the World’ design, by the way.

Cheers,

Tom

The only legitimate SAK I own is a Deluxe Tinker. It’s a bit thick and heavy to carry everyday, but I’ve taken it along with me on job sites with no issue whatsoever. I actually really like the pliers, while they won’t be as robust as a Leatherman, they’re more than good enough for me. The Deluxe Tinker is the ultimate SAK in my eyes. It has all the right tools, while still staying small enough that it’s not a hassle to carry around.

I think you should pick one up and report on it here. Pliers based multitools versus SAK with pliers: It's about which comes first, pliers or knife. Which will you use more frequently is what guides my decision.

Zieg

I think you should pick one up and report on it here. Pliers based multitools versus SAK with pliers: It's about which comes first, pliers or knife. Which will you use more frequently is what guides my decision.

Zieg
I will definitely report back!

And if I could change one thing about the Deluxe Tinker, it would be to replace the box hook with a corkscrew, though it'd be tough as the Phillips takes that spot, really.

Zieg

The only legitimate SAK I own is a Deluxe Tinker. It’s a bit thick and heavy to carry everyday, but I’ve taken it along with me on job sites with no issue whatsoever. I actually really like the pliers, while they won’t be as robust as a Leatherman, they’re more than good enough for me. The Deluxe Tinker is the ultimate SAK in my eyes. It has all the right tools, while still staying small enough that it’s not a hassle to carry around.
Music to my ears! :thumbsup:

Well, it arrived and I do rather like this one. Will put photos up when I have a moment, but am loving the configuration. It's definitely pocketable, and I will see what kind of use it gets in the next few weeks. Thanks for the input, I won't be sending it back. ;)

Have carried a Deluxe Tinker in belt sheath for years. Never leave home without it. Use a Tinker at home as I have access to my regular tools. Best knife ever.
Rich

637DE771-C9FF-47AC-933A-6A96C0836F56.jpeg I have a hard time trekking without a corkscrew, so I use this combination.

I bought a Deluxe Tinker and quickly decided against it. My daughter ended up with it when she moved away for school.

Out of all of Vic's 91mm series, I reach for my Mechanic the most.The pliers are super useful. I would love to trade out the phillips for a corkscrew though.

The "Handyman" seems more useful because it also has the two saws and at the back of the Knife a wooden chisel and a mini screwdriver. It’s a little wider, but no excesses!I put a handle with pen and put the mini screwdriver in the boucho pull
8868161355806_celum_129755_2000Wx1750H.jpg

The "Handyman" seems more useful because it also has the two saws and at the back of the Knife a wooden chisel and a mini screwdriver. It’s a little wider, but no excesses!I put a handle with pen and put the mini screwdriver in the boucho pull
8868161355806_celum_129755_2000Wx1750H.jpg
Funnily enough I have the Handyman also. I bought the DT because it is just that little bit less chunky! :)

Back