1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who carries a Deluxe Tinker?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by Pilsner, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Hi All,

The only SAK I own with pliers is the rather weighty Handyman, a 30th birthday present from my climbing partner too many moons ago to mention...

It’s a wee bit heavy, to be honest, and resides in my desk drawer at home. It gets used, but not carried, so I thought I would splurge on a fancy scales Deluxe Tinker.

On an overnight mountain camp last month with my 13yr old son, the Gaz stove had a ‘problem’, and using a bit of ingenuity I solved it with a Huntsman, but I could have done with pliers for sure. We nearly had no hot drinks or food in freezing temps at 2,000ft up a Welsh mountain. :eek:

Yes, yes, I have actually ordered a Leatherman PS4 thanks to @Hickory n steel and @jackknife lol. Thanks guys, or should I say ‘enablers’? ;)

But... I do love my SAK’s and I thought I would spoil myself a bit more. Any love out there for the Deluxe Tinker?

The scales are the ‘Edge of the World’ design, by the way.

Cheers,

Tom

Smaug and The Zieg like this.
  2. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    The only legitimate SAK I own is a Deluxe Tinker. It’s a bit thick and heavy to carry everyday, but I’ve taken it along with me on job sites with no issue whatsoever. I actually really like the pliers, while they won’t be as robust as a Leatherman, they’re more than good enough for me. The Deluxe Tinker is the ultimate SAK in my eyes. It has all the right tools, while still staying small enough that it’s not a hassle to carry around.

Pilsner likes this.
  3. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    I think you should pick one up and report on it here. Pliers based multitools versus SAK with pliers: It's about which comes first, pliers or knife. Which will you use more frequently is what guides my decision.

Zieg

Pilsner likes this.
  4. Pilsner

Oct 28, 2017
    I will definitely report back!

5. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    And if I could change one thing about the Deluxe Tinker, it would be to replace the box hook with a corkscrew, though it'd be tough as the Phillips takes that spot, really.

Zieg

6. Pilsner

Oct 28, 2017
    Music to my ears! :thumbsup:

McFeeli and The Zieg like this.
  7. Pilsner

Oct 28, 2017
    Well, it arrived and I do rather like this one. Will put photos up when I have a moment, but am loving the configuration. It's definitely pocketable, and I will see what kind of use it gets in the next few weeks. Thanks for the input, I won't be sending it back. ;)

jmh33 likes this.
  8. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Have carried a Deluxe Tinker in belt sheath for years. Never leave home without it. Use a Tinker at home as I have access to my regular tools. Best knife ever.
    Rich

Pilsner and jmh33 like this.
  9. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    637DE771-C9FF-47AC-933A-6A96C0836F56.jpeg I have a hard time trekking without a corkscrew, so I use this combination.

Pilsner likes this.