Who Does Archery?

Dear Members,

Any primitive archery guys out there? I'm currently building some English war bows (long bows) along with a Mongolian horse bow. I used to shoot archery on a daily basis, but that was before being consumed by my career, so I haven't shot in almost 40 years. I always wanted to get back into it, and I've always wanted to build bows. I'm in the middle of three right now, and can't wait to shoot them. Anybody else interested in this stuff?

Best,

Ernest

Funny, I just ordered an inexpensive "Hungarian style longbow flagella recurve horsebow," so I could try out a 60 pound pull. I got interested recently after reading that medieval bowmen had grossly distorted shoulders, they would draw by holding the string and pushing the bow forward, and the pulls on their longbows were well in excess of 100 pounds! I haven't had any prior archery experience, just lots of bowfishing. It would definitely be cool to see your bow builds!

Dear Members,

Any primitive archery guys out there? I'm currently building some English war bows (long bows) along with a Mongolian horse bow. I used to shoot archery on a daily basis, but that was before being consumed by my career, so I haven't shot in almost 40 years. I always wanted to get back into it, and I've always wanted to build bows. I'm in the middle of three right now, and can't wait to shoot them. Anybody else interested in this stuff?

Best,

Ernest

I’m pretty rusty at archery but enjoy it. I also like historical style bows. Even though the composite bow is definitely king there is something enjoyable from using a simple long bow or my favourite a recurve.

I would like to get a thumb ring which is used in Hungarian traditional archery as well as other systems influenced by mongolian archery. Instead of the fingers one draws with the thumb which has a special ring on it. I think it would be fun to learn.

Compound bow guy here. I get the allure of the trad. archery/stickbow stuff, but I love the speed and gear-centricity of compounds.

I'd love to see what you are building as well.

I started in archery in the mid-60's. Loved the recurves and stayed with them. One of my hobbies that comes and goes. Never even shot a compound, but I remember when they came out.

--Larry

As my moniker says, longbow, for a good reason. I've much experience with trad. archery and fact is its the only type of archery I've ever done. Hunted whitetails and bear for years. Kind of got out of it and golf when best friend past. If you can get your hands on any of the books written about archery like from Hill, Massey, etc.etc. do so. Wealth of knowledge contained within. For a start try and score a copy of the Traditional Bowyers Bible, go to the Leatherwall wedbsite too and look around. I don't know if Tradgang website is still around either. But search that one out too. Traditional Bowhunter magazine is an excellent source too.

I just scored a proto type longbow made by W.C. Matlock off ebay. I remember when he experimented with the bow design and he wrote about it, an almost full parabola longbow. C shaped limbs but they are backset. Bamboo and carbon limbs. Hunting the Hard Way by Howard Hill is very well written too and he explains how he made his American semi longbow and how it came to be. The fella seemed to be supernatural when it came to shooting a longbow. Look on YouTube for some of his vids, extraordinary skill with the longbow, he used very heavy draw weights too. Back in the 80's it took me a few years of serious training to work up to bows of 80-100lbs at 28" of draw. John Scultz was a protege of Howard Hill and he put out an excellent video on Hitting them like Howard Hill. In it he demonstrates how Hill shot the bow, held the bow, and and how he aimed. That is on You Tube too. I could go on and on.

I'm not much on self bows though, have owned lots of them but to me they were to inconsistent for me. That and had one break on me at full draw and cracked me goo on the noggin. What I did like was a bow made by Craig Ekin of Howard Hill archery in Montanna. It had a heat tempered bamboo core, with a single piece of glass on the back with coco bola riser with tip wedges. That was 74#at 27" and 66" long. Should have kept that but like I said my best friend died so kind of lost interest in it along with golf. If I was't hunting or shooting I was playing golf and practicing when I could. I've also carried over from shooting a longbow instinctively to my handgun practice. Square up the outline of my .45 in my vision, up and down and side to side and pull the trigger. Not great for targets passed 10yds or so though. Mostly what I was consider combat distance's. So there ya go, the tip of the iceberg. keepem sharp

PS as for books and building primitive or all wood bows look for:
The Traditional Bowyers Bible, 1,2, and 3 versions. 3 separate books on thoghts and techniques from different makers.

Hitting'em like Howard Hill, Hunting the Hard Way both by Hill

A Thousand Camp Fires by Jay Massey

In Search of the Osage Bow by Dean Torges. He is the godfather of osage bows and might be the best builder that ever lived of high performance osage and bamboo bows, but I am sure that could be argued.

The Witchery of Archery by the Thompson brothers after the Civil War, outstanding book on there adventures.

Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans by Jim Hamm again in the same class as Torges.

Last edited:
I've been shooting recurve for the last few years and trying to make it into a family hobby.

Got a compound last year and it's an amazing piece of engineering! :thumbsup:

The last time I had a compound bow was in highschool. I took it to a big field with a few friends, we all gathered in the middle, and I fired arrows vertically, and we all scattered.

Smart kids... o_O

I've been meaning to get another, to fire horizontally this time of course. The technology behind the sport these days is truly impressive.

I shoot a 45 lb longbow, an 70lb Alpine I've had for years and now crossbows. I made my daughter her first longbow, which she is still fitting into and for her 20lbs is more than enough (she is 6). I primarily hunt with my crossbow's now, the greater accuracy and effective range make it more ideal unless I am still hunting and then I carry my longbow. I dont shoot the compound hardly at all anymore as I find its not a challenging as the longbow and its advantages are not as great as the crossbow....your mileage may vary.

It is wonderful at teaching discipline, repetition and with teaching my kids they seem to enjoy it more than shooting at .22 or air rifle.

I took a small black bear with a longbow in 2015. Used a 175grn Simmons Tiger Shark. The jalapeño cheddar brats in was tranformed into were fantastic.

I'm obsessed with my Bear Montana longbow. I usually shoot 2 to 3 days during the week and 3-4 hrs every weekend.

Last edited:
Back