Who does Spyderco support with donations?

DMG

Gold Member
After some recent discussion of another large knifemaker’s political contributions, I am wondering about Spyderco. What groups and politicians do they support?

I'm glad you brought this up. Spyderco supports the following charities.
Parkinson's Foundation
Alzheimer's Foundation
Those 2 are pretty self explanatory.
Then they also sponsor Pink Heals which supports women with all types of cancer.
They also support a military lottery where active service members can email their APO in for a chance for a free knife.

When you're done reading please consider a donation and then posts the receipts for the other charities you support yourself.

A couple of years ago, in this very forum, Mr. Glesser offered to send members very collectable Spyderco knives in exchange for checks to the Denver Children's Hospital.

There's a thread around about it, somewhere. No generosity on my part at all, it's all the extreme generosity of Mr. Glesser and his family.

A couple of years ago, in this very forum, Mr. Glesser offered to send members very collectable Spyderco knives in exchange for checks to the Denver Children's Hospital.

There's a thread around about it, somewhere. No generosity on my part at all, it's all the extreme generosity of Mr. Glesser and his family.
Yes. I got a Tuffram Worker directly from Sal for a donation to Denver Children's Hospital!
Great donation. Sal is a great man. :D

I would expect no less from Mr Glesser.

Hi DMG,

Spyderco as a company does not donate to any political party. We do donate to a number of research organizations for disease, ( a percentage of sales from various models ) We have programs for our troops in the Middle East which we began in 2003 and continue to this day. We have regular special programs for our "Save and Serve" communities; Police, Fire fighters, first responders, etc. We do, at times, also support various individual projects, like Children's Hospital.

Why?

sal

Hi DMG,

Spyderco as a company does not donate to any political party. We do donate to a number of research organizations for disease, ( a percentage of sales from various models ) We have programs for our troops in the Middle East which we began in 2003 and continue to this day. We have regular special programs for our "Save and Serve" communities; Police, Fire fighters, first responders, etc. We do, at times, also support various individual projects, like Children's Hospital.

Why?

sal

I have been reading about people boycotting other brands over political donations and in general it seems to have become a bigger deal lately. Not just in the knife business. So I was curious.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer and I feel good about buying your products based on your answer.

While I have your ear, how about an orange or yellow Manix LW in LC200n?

Hi DMG,

Why?

sal

Just more reasons to love this company.

I have owned 7 Spyderco's in my life, and plan on buying many more.

Thanks Mr. Sal for donating to good causes!

I have about 10. My first was a Native 1 and my most recent a GB2.

I only have three now, my friend. A PM2, a Para 3, and an Endela.

I desperately want a plain edged Shaman, but that isn't going to happen this year. I royally pissed off the wife when I ordered the Para 3, haha!

Also on the list is a Native 5 in G10.

Reactions: DMG
I only have three now, my friend. A PM2, a Para 3, and an Endela.

I desperately want a plain edged Shaman, but that isn't going to happen this year. I royally pissed off the wife when I ordered the Para 3, haha!

Also on the list is a Native 5 in G10.

I like the Shaman but the Gayle Bradley 2 seems to fill a similar role and the M4 is awesome.

I like the Shaman but the Gayle Bradley 2 seems to fill a similar role and the M4 is awesome.

How difficult is M4 to sharpen? I just recently mastered sharpening S30V. Don't judge me, I'm used to very soft budget steels, haha.

How difficult is M4 to sharpen? I just recently mastered sharpening S30V. Don't judge me, I'm used to very soft budget steels, haha.
I use a Sharpmaker and don’t let it get super dull. It isn’t that hard to sharpen. I use the grey medium sticks because they will get it shaving sharp but leave it a little toothy which seems to work well.

Hi DMG,

We have had some threaten to boycott us because we wouldn't make a political statement supporting their "cause". We always try to do the right things for the right reasons. Unfortunately, there seems to be controversy over what is the right reasons lately

sal

Hi DMG,

We have had some threaten to boycott us because we wouldn't make a political statement supporting their "cause". We always try to do the right things for the right reasons. Unfortunately, there seems to be controversy over what is the right reasons lately

sal

People really seem to enjoy finding things to be outraged about now. Between that and the “our team vs their team” mentality you are probably wise to avoid political statements as a business.

Fwiw, if you had responded to my original inquiry with an answer I didn’t like, I wouldn’t have boycotted your company. I have had Spydercos since I was a kid and consider myself to be in too deep now to quit.

People really seem to enjoy finding things to be outraged about now. Between that and the “our team vs their team” mentality you are probably wise to avoid political statements as a business.

Fwiw, if you had responded to my original inquiry with an answer I didn’t like, I wouldn’t have boycotted your company. I have had Spydercos since I was a kid and consider myself to be in too deep now to quit.

God knows we can't boycott every business that we don't agree with their political stances. We wouldn't be able to do much shopping, haha.

Sometimes you just have to pick and choose your battles!

Back