Who does the REVERSE FLICK???

Hello,
I just figured out my newest way of opening a knife. The reverse flick. I hold the knife handle-up with the hole between my thumb and first finger, and then I flick it open. Hence, the reverse flick. I figured this out on my provenitor and I think I can do it because the handle is heavy (stainless steel). I was wondering what other Spyderco knives this opening style is good for.

------------------
EdRozen-On the cutting edge of finding out what the cutting edge is....

Maybe its because I'm a lefty, but when carrying my blk Military in left pocket, a quick flick drops the blade into a backhand grip, causing much underwear changing to those around
smile.gif

I found this is a good way to drop you shinny Police Model on the cement, Whoops!. When done right kind of the same motion as throwing down a playing card . I find the heavy handle models work best. Oh Ya, and doing this around the police in Canada can get you arrested for having a switchblade or gravity knife, go figure.

[This message has been edited by INFINOO (edited 04-22-2000).]

Most people call that the "drop" opening, because you drop the handle and then hop it back into your hand. The drop opening is one of the coolest things about Spyderco knives, although it does tend to scare people when it's done in public.

Drop opening is easiest with knives that have heavy handles, but it can be done with any Spyderco. With the light-handled knives, you just have to use a lot of wrist action to fling the knife open.

Drop opening is especially useful for knives that are carried tip down. If the knife's tip down, you can draw it by sticking your thumb into the hole. Then you're ready to drop open the knife immediately after it leaves your pocket!

You do have to be careful with this though, as INFINOO says. You don't want to literally drop an open knife onto the ground or, much worse, onto your feet.

Got a couple of LEOs in my department that open Police & Enduras wih their trigger fingers. Really fast & really cool

------------------
Mark, Isiah 40:31 They that wait on the LORD shall mount up with wings as eagles...

You know opening a Spyderco that way seems to be the very fastest. I just tried doing the Reverse Flick(tm) on the full size Rescue and it works really well on that one too.

------------------
EdRozen-On the cutting edge of finding out what the cutting edge is....

The hole doesn't really work well for me any other way. I'd just as soon not have the hole at all. For flicking a stud works better. For dropping I don't really need the hole.

You'll see this technique referred to as the "SpydieDrop" elsewhere on the Forums. Works great on some models- but it requires pretty decent grip/concentration or your pretty toys will kiss the concrete.
That is Bad.

------------------
Runs With Scissors
AKTI# A000107

Seems like years ago when I bought my first spyder (a worker) that was the only instruction on opening packed with the knife! I have since bought many, and all can be opened that way.... It's really neat when you slip, and it flings itself to the floor! It's also frightening!
Dane

I thought those were the instructions for opening the spyderco's. Are they no longer included with the knives? (Don't look at the paperwork in the boxes anymore, just rip 'em open and start palying with my new sparkly)
Dave.

------------------
Icarus should have listened to his father.

Carrying the big Wegner today - Amazing what the weight of a full backspacer will do for the "reverse flick"!

------------------
AKTI Member #A000832

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, the bear eats you."

Hi Dana. Haven't seen (read?, heard?) you for a while. Been gone?

Interesting that you would mention that. first flyer we made. Your showing your age. We stopped showing that method in print to avoid potential future problems.

sal

It is a nice opening method, but one has to be careful and paying attention!

I've drop-opened a Matriarch quite some time ago (just after they became available over here), without enough grip on the hole. The momentum caused the knife to spin right out of my hand, lodging that SCARY sharp point in the back of my hand
frown.gif
. Boy, did I feel stupid (maybe deservedly so!)

Well, the hand is all better now, and I am paying attention to what I'm doing after that one!!
wink.gif

Hi Sal,
Yes, been doing some well deserved traveling... good to be back, and equally good to "see" you. :)

Yep, I know it shows my age, but as you know, I've been a fan of Spyderco since the beginning. Still the best value in knives I know of. I can understand the reason for dropping the opening instructions, in this the "age of litigation"! :) I gave up that method a long time ago when I got old and less flashy! Easier on both me and my knives!
Best,
Dana

Heyns,

I feel your pain. Been there, done that, got the scar
redface.gif
Aaaarrgh!!!
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

Back