Who else uses a scythe?

Ive used a sythe in my younger years, my grandfather used them around the farm (and showed me how to use one) and my dad kept one around. Great for weed reduction around the place. Seems like I have one or at least the blade around here, but Im all about mowers and weed-whips personally. I think I'll go looking for it- had been thinking about working the blade into some kind of edged weapon but havent gotten a round2it... probably should leave it alone and just preserve it as is.

Ive used a sythe in my younger years, my grandfather used them around the farm (and showed me how to use one) and my dad kept one around. Great for weed reduction around the place. Seems like I have one or at least the blade around here, but Im all about mowers and weed-whips personally. I think I'll go looking for it- had been thinking about working the blade into some kind of edged weapon but havent gotten a round2it... probably should leave it alone and just preserve it as is.
Yeah they generally can only be repurposed well into a very narrow range of specialty tools and are better suited to being pressed into use for their original intended purpose. And they're fun! Like...a LOT of fun. I say get it back in shape and use it!

I get the opportunity to watch the fine folks at Old Sturbridge Village (Sturbridge, Mass) use these occasionally, both American and European style.
I'm really interested in getting into it myself and I'm glad I just noticed this thread.
Looks like I have some reading to do.

I get the opportunity to watch the fine folks at Old Sturbridge Village (Sturbridge, Mass) use these occasionally, both American and European style.
I'm really interested in getting into it myself and I'm glad I just noticed this thread.
Looks like I have some reading to do.
Oh, now you're talking. Used to meet up with buddies at Sturbridge Village and then go for drinks at the Copper Stallion (i think it's in Fiskdale?) after.

On a somewhat related note- here’s a scythe that was jerry-rigged out in the boonies of present day West Virginia during the days of the American Frontier.
YvGiUIg.jpg

On a somewhat related note- here’s a scythe that was jerry-rigged out in the boonies of present day West Virginia during the days of the American Frontier.
YvGiUIg.jpg
I'd have to get a closer look at it but it appears to be 20th Century rather than 19th Century.

I'd have to get a closer look at it but it appears to be 20th Century rather than 19th Century.
That might not surprise me- Prickett’s Fort is a small non-profit outfit and it seems like much of their research is done by hobbyists. Out of curiosity, what makes you lean towards 20th century?

That might not surprise me- Prickett’s Fort is a small non-profit outfit and it seems like much of their research is done by hobbyists. Out of curiosity, what makes you lean towards 20th century?
The overall styling of the blade's form and tooling marks more resembles blades dating somewhere between 1920-1960. It's also entirely possible that the snath is older than the blade.

Recommended by the NY Times:

Lee Valley Traditional Austrian Scythe Set For the truly adventurous

If your trimming needs include taking down a large grassy area, like an LA hillside or maybe a spot that’s not quite lawn, but also not quite woods, consider bringing a scythe into your life, specifically, the Lee Valley Traditional Austrian Scythe Set. The scythe is an ancient tool, discarded by our modern culture, yet wildly effective at cutting grass. In addition to its cutting abilities, it offers a tranquil mental and physical experience, accompanied only by the whooshing swish of the blade against the grass. In a lot of ways, it’s the anti-string trimmer. Cutting grass with a scythe has a learning curve, and knowing how to sharpen the blade is essential, but these are both learnable skills and not as physically demanding as you may think.

Scroll down a ways: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-string-trimmers/

Oof--the Lee Valley set is NOT what I'd recommend! But nice that the tool class got a mention, regardless! It's been a banner year for them.

They sell NO peening equipment for their Austrian-style blade, and their snath is tubing that has the stem welded at a fixed position, making it permanently set up for the wrong length for the user unless you're very lucky.

PC509-scythe-set-4-pcs-f-70.jpg
... why on earth would they weld that? There goes a lot of value with relatively little extra expense.

Back